2022/23 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not first choice at Sunderland.
He's not (and I don't think he's the answer) but he's done better in the championship than some of our other much more hyped talents like gordon and barkley...even dobbin seems higher rated and he's out performed him also at a higher level

He's not (and I don't think he's the answer) but he's done better in the championship than some of our other much more hyped talents like gordon and barkley...even dobbin seems higher rated and he's out performed him also at a higher level

Don't disagree. He's also playing a role in a team chasing promotion to the Prem which is more than Gykoeres is doing at Coventry.

Hes a better choice than Cannon to have and even if we bring another striker in, given Calvert lewins fitness we should be recalling him anyway.

He's not first choice at Sunderland.

From what I can see...he was, scored, had a dip, got injured, then has been in and out the team. He's started 14 games and scored 7 goals. 2nd highest goalscorer for them.

Biggest criticism I've seen is that he's lazy but finishes when he gets the chance.

Don't disagree. He's also playing a role in a team chasing promotion to the Prem which is more than Gykoeres is doing at Coventry.

Hes a better choice than Cannon to have and even if we bring another striker in, given Calvert lewins fitness we should be recalling him anyway.
This is it for me too. Looking at our bench for the game at Wolves, Cannon and Gray were the only options we had who can score goals or play any sort of role in the attacking areas the rest were non attacking in every sense. Having others who can at least do something going forward is welcome on the bench

From what I can see...he was, scored, had a dip, got injured, then has been in and out the team. He's started 14 games and scored 7 goals.

Biggest criticism I've seen is that he's lazy but finishes when he gets the chance.

Ross Stewart is their first choice, he was injured. Now he's back, Simms is on their bench.

I'd rather he was on our bench.

I just hope he's in addition to others coming in...

I won't pretend to be an avid Sunderland watcher, so don't know the lad's attributes and limitations really.

But, all too often players of this age are never given a chance. Score goals in U23/21, on loan, get the odd cup game and then at about 23/24 quietly dissappear down the leagues. I am all for giving potential a proper chance rather than buying 'proven' that then doesn't work and leaves us 20m out of pocket yet again (a la Maupay, potentially that Coventry lad, Brereton Diaz etc.).

Not saying I don't want us to sign a quality forward, but if we can't then this is the right call rather than buying an unknown with just as much chance of failing in the PL.

Ross Stewart is their first choice, he was injured. Now he's back, Simms is on their bench.

I'd rather he was on our bench.

I just hope he's in addition to others coming in...

I was just making a point that some people are putting him down saying "he wasn't first choice" when I don't think he was ever brought in to be that...but has started, played a good chunk of games, and scored goals.

Still think he should've stayed there the full season. Would help in the long term than the no doubt 10minute cameos he may get here.

Could've just kept Rondon ffs.

Trying to convince yourself this a positive move is bad.
But it gives us a different option to what we have, so it isn't negative.

Trying to convince yourself that this means we aren't signing another striker is a different topic. Let's wait and see on that one.

Whatever happens we need to get behind Simms. He us our player and he can score goals. He once had a season in the U18s where he bagged 32 goals in 21 games. He is averaging 1 in 3 in his senior career to date. He'll do better than anything we currently have and hopefully we sign another senior striker to help him learn and develop further.

Status
Not open for further replies.