Transfer Rumour Eliaquim Mangala

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people have missed the point a tad

I wasn't saying that Managala has had consistent bad form

My point is that saying "previous form isn't relevant" when discussing a new player is a deeply flawed stance to take

Of course it's relevant, especially if it's a prolonged period of bad/good form

Has Mangala really had a prolonged period of bad form? I'd say not

What form suggests is that he's a decent centre back who isn't particularly great at left back, but can do it in a pinch

That's fine if he's coming in to be a centre back, but if he's coming in to be first choice left back then that's possibly going to be an issue going forward

I mean, that's just common sense isn't it, or am I miles off the mark here?

Surely it would have been preferable to sign an actual left back? I'd be fine with signing Mangala as well, because it's always good to have options in the centre, but shouldn't we have got someone whose primary job is to be a left back? I mean, we're playing a right back out of position at the moment and now we're going to be playing a centre back out of position instead

Obviously he'll be an improvement over Martina, if soley because he can use his left foot, but is that the benchmark we should be setting? Should our left back options really come down to an injured Baines, Luke Garbutt and two players playing out of position?

Again, he's a square peg in a round hole. He can be the best square peg in the history of square pegs, but he still won't ever fit

Nah it's a fair shout, we obviously ballsed up at not bringing a left back in no doubt about it, best scenario now is if he does fill in at left back, is that at least we may not have to sacrifice whoever wide left to protect him, just wont get muich down that side from the fullback obviously.

Still think we put everything into Shaw becoming available 'when' united bought rose (got that from a few blokes 'itk' with united things, late December who are normally pretty spot on), but things panned out differently and we where left 'again' with no plan B.

own thoughts would be to partner keane with mangala at cb, get coleman on the right and kenny on the left, phase out now the old guard of wiliams and jagielka and have holgate provide cover at cb or if we ever go three at the back. start preparing for next year already and get kenny more minutes - even if out of position isn't ideal for the lad it's better than not playing.

I think people have missed the point a tad

I wasn't saying that Managala has had consistent bad form

My point is that saying "previous form isn't relevant" when discussing a new player is a deeply flawed stance to take

Of course it's relevant, especially if it's a prolonged period of bad/good form

Has Mangala really had a prolonged period of bad form? I'd say not

What form suggests is that he's a decent centre back who isn't particularly great at left back, but can do it in a pinch

That's fine if he's coming in to be a centre back, but if he's coming in to be first choice left back then that's possibly going to be an issue going forward

I mean, that's just common sense isn't it, or am I miles off the mark here?

Surely it would have been preferable to sign an actual left back? I'd be fine with signing Mangala as well, because it's always good to have options in the centre, but shouldn't we have got someone whose primary job is to be a left back? I mean, we're playing a right back out of position at the moment and now we're going to be playing a centre back out of position instead

Obviously he'll be an improvement over Martina, if soley because he can use his left foot, but is that the benchmark we should be setting? Should our left back options really come down to an injured Baines, Luke Garbutt and two players playing out of position?

Again, he's a square peg in a round hole. He can be the best square peg in the history of square pegs, but he still won't ever fit

Nah it's a fair shout, we obviously ballsed up at not bringing a left back in no doubt about it, best scenario now is if he does fill in at left back, is that at least we may not have to sacrifice whoever wide left to protect him, just wont get muich down that side from the fullback obviously.

Still think we put everything into Shaw becoming available 'when' united bought rose (got that from a few blokes 'itk' with united things, late December who are normally pretty spot on), but things panned out differently and we where left 'again' with no plan B.

own thoughts would be to partner keane with mangala at cb, get coleman on the right and kenny on the left, phase out now the old guard of wiliams and jagielka and have holgate provide cover at cb or if we ever go three at the back. start preparing for next year already and get kenny more minutes - even if out of position isn't ideal for the lad it's better than not playing.

Got it in one. Mangala at left back for City is not Mangala at left back for Everton or Porto. Mangala started his top level career as a left back and in that respect can be compared to Lescott when he came to Everton. Mangala playing left back or centre back at Everton will be better than any of our others currently in those positions. Problem will be what sort of fee will City want in the summer? £15 million seems like a steal. Sams three acquisitions in the window have all been positive additions and improve our squad immensely. Those who are knocking Sams methods would do well to remember that...nothing has been wasted financially in the window and the possibilities from now on,given an equally sensible summer window,are pretty good.
All the suddenly holier than thou knockers who don't like our manager for reasons/rumours/stories based on everything but coaching need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Started his top flight career at left back?

From the stats i see mate, he's played 186 games at cb, 14 at left back and 1 as a dm. 12 of those came when he was 21 in 12/13 season at Porto, early season the majority before he was switched to his natural position of cb, since then think he's played 1 or 2 times at lb full stop.

In Belgium before moving to Porto - pretty sure he was playing cb not left back either, so in reality just looks like a cb who Porto integrated into the squad like many teams do with young cbs's as a fb for his first half season or so.

Lescott btw when he came to Everton had played a total of zero minutes above the level of the championship - he was injured the entire season wolves went up, Mangala has been playing in the prem and in portugal, including CL and EL games for both for the last 4 and a half years now entirely as a cb.

As for Lescott, yeah took one game when a team specifically went at him to destroy the myth he was a decent left back solution for us in reality, after that you never saw him playing much and forced moyes into going with baines.

As for you jumping to the defence of Allardyce - whatever gets you off really mate, you have no idea if anything has been wasted btw, none of us will do until we see what becomes with Tosun here, same stuff was said in the summer by people about other signings who've already been shipped out as well.

Still didn't buy a left back like did we?

As for being holier than now knocking our manager, yeah can't stand the reptile mate, and no one with any sense of pride in the club should want him here, as for doing it purely on him as a person, nope, i also think he's a pretty crap manager, his tactics and methods are ten years out of date, and the football he serves up with his teams is absolutely terrible to watch.

Got it in one. Mangala at left back for City is not Mangala at left back for Everton or Porto. Mangala started his top level career as a left back and in that respect can be compared to Lescott when he came to Everton. Mangala playing left back or centre back at Everton will be better than any of our others currently in those positions. Problem will be what sort of fee will City want in the summer? £15 million seems like a steal. Sams three acquisitions in the window have all been positive additions and improve our squad immensely. Those who are knocking Sams methods would do well to remember that...nothing has been wasted financially in the window and the possibilities from now on,given an equally sensible summer window,are pretty good.
All the suddenly holier than thou knockers who don't like our manager for reasons/rumours/stories based on everything but coaching need to wake up and smell the coffee.
You got it one one, too ;)

Talking to a mate this morning who's a ST holder at the Emptihad and he said, "Mangala is like Stones, he'll play really well for three games and then in the fourth, he'll lose concentration and balls something up. He's a good player, but needs to be involved all the time or his head wanders off elsewhere."

Talking to a mate this morning who's a ST holder at the Emptihad and he said, "Mangala is like Stones, he'll play really well for three games and then in the fourth, he'll lose concentration and balls something up. He's a good player, but needs to be involved all the time or his head wanders off elsewhere."
Lucky we do a lot of defending then

I can see it now....plays brilliantly all season and then does an absolute balls up...in the derby

From the stats i see mate, he's played 186 games at cb, 14 at left back and 1 as a dm. 12 of those came when he was 21 in 12/13 season at Porto, early season the majority before he was switched to his natural position of cb, since then think he's played 1 or 2 times at lb full stop.

In Belgium before moving to Porto - pretty sure he was playing cb not left back either, so in reality just looks like a cb who Porto integrated into the squad like many teams do with young cbs's as a fb for his first half season or so.

Lescott btw when he came to Everton had played a total of zero minutes above the level of the championship - he was injured the entire season wolves went up, Mangala has been playing in the prem and in portugal, including CL and EL games for both for the last 4 and a half years now entirely as a cb.

As for Lescott, yeah took one game when a team specifically went at him to destroy the myth he was a decent left back solution for us in reality, after that you never saw him playing much and forced moyes into going with baines.

As for you jumping to the defence of Allardyce - whatever gets you off really mate, you have no idea if anything has been wasted btw, none of us will do until we see what becomes with Tosun here, same stuff was said in the summer by people about other signings who've already been shipped out as well.

As for being holier than now knocking our manager, yeah can't stand the reptile mate, and no one with any sense of pride in the club should want him here, as for doing it purely on him as a person, nope, i also think he's a pretty crap manager, his tactics and methods are ten years out of date, and the football he serves up with his teams is absolutely terrible to watch.

Good post ;)

Ah, so all those banging on about how he's played Left Back loads and has only been meh at it because of Guardiola are full of wham then?

Noted

Status
Not open for further replies.