Transfer Rumour Eliaquim Mangala

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's a square peg for a round hole

I don't doubt his abilities in the centre back position

However, I have yet to hear from a single City fan who rates him as a left back, and they're the one's who would know

They are all pretty much unanimous in saying that he's decent at centre back though, so if that's his primary role here then he should be a useful addition to the ranks

If we are going 3-5-2, with Garbutt as a wing back, then I'd expect him to play on the left side of the back three, which should be fine

Why are people debating whether he's a good loan or a bad one. His previous form is irrelevant, just got to give the lad a chance before we can debate either way. Lets just wait and see eh ?

Sorry mate, but that's nonsense

Of course it's relevant

If he'd been cack for ages then it would be reasonable to suggest he'd be cack for us too

That's just common sense

Just like how Martina had been rubbish at Southampton and, low and behold, he's been rubbish for us too

Of course it's relevant

If he'd been cack for ages then it would be reasonable to suggest he'd be cack for us too

That's just common sense

Just like how Martina had been rubbish at Southampton and, low and behold, he's been rubbish for us too
At least he had the chance to be rubbish in his correct position at Soton.

Of course it's relevant

That's just common sense

yeah but has martina ever been decent for anyone? mangala has been decent for every club bar city, finger crossed he'll be decent here

However, I have yet to hear from a single City fan who rates him as a left back, and they're the one's who would know

They are all pretty much unanimous in saying that he's decent at centre back though, so if that's his primary role here then he should be a useful addition to the ranks

If we are going 3-5-2, with Garbutt as a wing back, then I'd expect him to play on the left side of the back three, which should be fine
He's not a left-back, but he's left-footed, and he's players there. And isnt Managala/<any other cb> a better left side than Martina/Mangala?

Of course it's relevant

That's just common sense

Yup, but previous form and level of the player has to be factored in - especially so with a player at his peak age and without any serious injury which could have permanently regressed them.

At Porto he was rated massively highly, so much so City paid 40m for him in 2014 - which would translate to about 80m or more in the current market. City signed him and he has struggled (as did Ottamendi) with the pressure at City, and they simply went out and spunked 100m+ on two other centre backs who are way more suited to Peps system and style of play.

Meanwhile Martina played so so in Holland, and Saints took a very low risk punt on him at about 1m quid, he flopped for a lower mid table side and they let him go on a free...

So what i'm trying to say is one was a massively rated centre back who was bought and played in a system he was very unsuited too, put him in a system that doesn't ask him to be Maldini and you may see that cb so rated at Porto, the other was a journeyman player who has never looked good enough for a top league

Yup, but previous form and level of the player has to be factored in - especially so with a player at his peak age and without any serious injury which could have permanently regressed them.

At Porto he was rated massively highly, so much so City paid 40m for him in 2014 - which would translate to about 80m or more in the current market. City signed him and he has struggled (as did Ottamendi) with the pressure at City, and they simply went out and spunked 100m+ on two other centre backs who are way more suited to Peps system and style of play.

Meanwhile Martina played so so in Holland, and Saints took a very low risk punt on him at about 1m quid, he flopped for a lower mid table side and they let him go on a free...

So what i'm trying to say is one was a massively rated centre back who was bought and played in a system he was very unsuited too, put him in a system that doesn't ask him to be Maldini and you may see that cb so rated at Porto, the other was a journeyman player who has never looked good enough for a top league

I think people have missed the point a tad

I wasn't saying that Managala has had consistent bad form

My point is that saying "previous form isn't relevant" when discussing a new player is a deeply flawed stance to take

Of course it's relevant, especially if it's a prolonged period of bad/good form

Has Mangala really had a prolonged period of bad form? I'd say not

What form suggests is that he's a decent centre back who isn't particularly great at left back, but can do it in a pinch

That's fine if he's coming in to be a centre back, but if he's coming in to be first choice left back then that's possibly going to be an issue going forward

I mean, that's just common sense isn't it, or am I miles off the mark here?

Surely it would have been preferable to sign an actual left back? I'd be fine with signing Mangala as well, because it's always good to have options in the centre, but shouldn't we have got someone whose primary job is to be a left back? I mean, we're playing a right back out of position at the moment and now we're going to be playing a centre back out of position instead

Obviously he'll be an improvement over Martina, if soley because he can use his left foot, but is that the benchmark we should be setting? Should our left back options really come down to an injured Baines, Luke Garbutt and two players playing out of position?

Again, he's a square peg in a round hole. He can be the best square peg in the history of square pegs, but he still won't ever fit

Seamus Keane Mangala Pickford, that’s 4/5 of a decent back 5 if Keane gets back to a good level and Mangala is good.

Sure beats combinations of Robles Kenny Pennington Jagielka Williams Martina.

City haven't got a manager who knows how to get a LB to play as a defender.

City haven't got a manager who knows how to get a LB to play as a defender.

Got it in one. Mangala at left back for City is not Mangala at left back for Everton or Porto. Mangala started his top level career as a left back and in that respect can be compared to Lescott when he came to Everton. Mangala playing left back or centre back at Everton will be better than any of our others currently in those positions. Problem will be what sort of fee will City want in the summer? £15 million seems like a steal. Sams three acquisitions in the window have all been positive additions and improve our squad immensely. Those who are knocking Sams methods would do well to remember that...nothing has been wasted financially in the window and the possibilities from now on,given an equally sensible summer window,are pretty good.
All the suddenly holier than thou knockers who don't like our manager for reasons/rumours/stories based on everything but coaching need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.