Homepage Update: Early Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bit in bold is where I take exception. Yes, to the board we are customers. Maybe to the broader non-match going public a football match is no different to a Justin Bieber concert, a trip to the cinema or a dodgy cheeseburger from a late night takeaway but I think the majority of fans consider our support of the team as something more than a cold commercial transaction for a leisure activity. Normal market circumstances don't apply to football. How else can you explain fans trudging out every week to watch Marine, Chester FC, Tranmere or, indeed, Everton when the quality of the product declines or the weather makes the activity a chore rather than a pleasure. Owners, chairmen or majority shareholders, in many fans opinions, are custodians of a football club rather than a proprietor or the promoter of an event. As such, the foundations on which these institutions are based, the fans, are the ultimate arbiters of "success" and that can be defined in many ways. It is true that ticket and merchandising revenues are less of a component of our income when compared with a decade ago, but dedicated supporters make up as substantial a base for TV subscriptions as the casual viewer does. If we are indeed customers then the board should be concerned about our dissatisfaction because, no matter how uneducated we might be, by hook or by crook we provide the revenue to the club.
I agree fully with the sentiment, if not with the reality. As you may have guessed I was being somewhat obtuse to aggravate my point.

It's the lack of pace, width and drive that is the most concerning. This needs to be addressed by Koeman urgently. He has players to address some of these issues but seems intent not to utilise them. While accepting we've had a difficult set of fixtures and need to give the new players time to bed in, an equally negative approach in the allegedly 'easier' games to follow will increase the pressure on Koeman. He doesn't appear to be remotely bothered, which doesn't exactly inspire at the moment.

Other then Lookman (who's still very raw but based on what we have I'd give him game time) I don't think he trusts those players I think you're talking about, I'm guessing Mirralas, at a push Lennon. I can't think of many other quick players or natural wide players we have. What I don't get i that even with the addition of a target man striker and a centre back which (and they don't address the issue anyway) we are painfully slow to average all over the park. Ross has a decent surge on him but he's I hired anyway. I in the highlights from the U23s I don't know if it was the opposition but Henen looked rapid. Surely that should have been something that was thought about when we identified our targets

Status
Not open for further replies.