2022/23 Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
….very disappointed and surprised, I thought he’d be an ideal blend with Patterson given his willingness to cover and quality to interplay.

Hopefully, he’s confused by his new role & will improve with time.

Thing I was thinking is that signing him when he's young we can mould him away from the system he's been playing in.

Problem maybe with that is he's played a LOT in that system and developed through it - something like 200+ senior games already in that at 22 and it's all he's ever really known as a player.

Possible that it's ingrained in him now and it won't be a simple change for him if he can actually change now.

Why I think a lot of the talented young players who leave Barca at 21-22 struggle to do anything after, they've been trained in a very specific system for 15 years and it's part of their DNA football wise and they can't adjust.

I'm hoping he can but I'm not hopeful he will.

You can see with every one we recruited so far on the pitch what they add, with this lad I the embryonic stages it's hard to see anything he's adding.

Brought in for his crossing - but not even sticking him on set pieces, physically he looks absolutely lightweight which given he's over 6 foot and an experienced player is worrying

It's quite embarrassing reading so many people writing him off. He's, what, 22? Going from a ultra defnsive setup in Burnley to a different but equally crap setup with us. I'd wager a bunch of you lot will be eating crow by the end of the year with him. People were talking of 30m+ just 2 years ago for him. He's REALLY talented, let's stop writing off players before you have any idea.
Is that you Bill?

agree

2 games, writing him off now is ridiculous.

Not like he’s walked into a decent, well balanced fully functioning side is it either?
If we're right to believe he's been brought into cross the ball, it's silly to judge when we've not been in a position to effectively cross the ball to someone.

It's been a quiet start for him, however when the side improves and he's given the freedom to do what's required I suspect (hope) we see the best from him.

Let's not forget, he's played his career under Dyche, so there'll be a period of transformation from what was quite a rigid and flair lacking style.

If we're right to believe he's been brought into cross the ball, it's silly to judge when we've not been in a position to effectively cross the ball to someone.

It's been a quiet start for him, however when the side improves and he's given the freedom to do what's required I suspect (hope) we see the best from him.

Let's not forget, he's played his career under Dyche, so there'll be a period of transformation from what was quite a rigid and flair lacking style.
If he's been brought in entirely for that mate, then honestly he shouldn't be playing when we don't have a cf, what's the point otherwise

As someone who was unenthusiastic over this signing even I realise he’s capable of better than we’ve seen so far.
We are two games in and are still expected to recruit further players.
Lets see how he performs when the team and players get settled and his role is more defined.

As someone who was unenthusiastic over this signing even I realise he’s capable of better than we’ve seen so far.
We are two games in and are still expected to recruit further players.
Lets see how he performs when the team and players get settled and his role is more defined.
Totally agree. What's concerning though is that he looks similar to Keane in the sense that he needs his belly tickling after each game due to confidence issues.

I might be wrong but he's struck me as a player who's a ball carrying wide player, who whips a decent ball in. Ideally I think he would rotate with Gordon as I don't think they are too dissimilar. I'm sure he'd also be more effective if he actually had a striker to cross too.

I’m sure he’ll get better, but that overhit pass to Gray was such a shocking moment. I’d fully expect Iwobi and Davies to be able to make that pass and put Gray through on goal. Needs to do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.