Duncan McKenzie appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What memories!

The Stoke game, Goodison was electric.

The quarter final at Cardiff, when he could have put the ball in the net three times but feinted again and again. We asked him after the game, why didn't you just score?
With a cigarette hanging out of his mouth he said " It would have been too easy ?"

I didn't realise that. I was always under the impression he was keen.
No the fans wanted him, but he wanted total control of the budget ....We had Bobby Robson at Sir John Moore's house twice & agreed to join us verbally twice on the pretence it was not leaked out before he spoke to the Ipswich board & Moore's blabbing to people got back Echo & the deal not the dust twice over that matter as Ipswich just met the money we offered to pay him - some say it was a deliberate ploy by Robson to stay there with Ipswich as he would not sign his contract in John Moore's house ..... As it was himself who let the press know deliberately ?

No the fans wanted him, but he wanted total control of the budget ....We had Bobby Robson at Sir John Moore's house twice & agreed to join us verbally twice on the pretence it was not leaked out before he spoke to the Ipswich board & Moore's blabbing to people got back Echo & the deal not the dust twice over that matter as Ipswich just met the money we offered to pay him - some say it was a deliberate ploy by Robson to stay there with Ipswich as he would not sign his contract in John Moore's house ..... As it was himself who let the press know deliberately ?
It makes you wonder how things would have played out with a different manager. Gordon Lee signed some decent players, but it quickly went down hill after 77-78. We seemed to be on the threshold of something good which just vaporised - or should I say Evertonised. Anyway, Howard stepped in & we had a few years in the sun.

Mac and Tosh? I think I've got a match day programme somewhere with a promo sticker on it?
20230217_073615.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.