Duncan McKenzie appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
IiRC he scored both goals v Villa (A) in 1977. It was a proper kick off outside at the end of the game with the Villains having a go before the Blues ran them ragged. Was in the Witton End upper tier so saw it all go off and to this day I swear I saw a Bluenose 'stick' a Villa fan and then getting chased by a load of bizzies up the road.

But going back to Duncan he really was a superb individual and brought great entertainment to the fans of evey club for whom he played. So glad he retains his association with us.

Was Brian Clough's statement signing that summer he incredibly took over at Leeds, the reigning league champions.

Said Clough told him to be his spy in the dressing room but he refused. This earned the respect of Bremner, Giles and co but he probably would have been brought to Forest later if he'd done as asked.

Lots of integrity!

I remember that Birmingham debut game,even though it was only a draw,the crowd was in raptures about Duncan,still recall my old fella likening him at that game to his own all time hero the Golden Vision☺️
Back then, I could only go to matches if my Dad was going, so as he was in and out the team under Gordon Lee, I doubt I would have seen him play more than a dozen times for us. A couple of games I do remember being at, one was against West Ham on a bone hard winters pitch, Duncan wore a pair of normal trainees and smashed in a brilliant volley for one of our goals, the other was against Leeds, I think it was an Easter game and there was a massive crowd, I seem to remember him scooping the ball from the edge of the box, somehow getting it over their keeper and under the crossbar (some of you on here might have clearer memories of these than I do though!). I was devastated when he left us, I would have loved to have been at that game when he came back with Chelsea and the reaction of the crowd when scored for them, but sadly that was one I never got taken to.

For @COYBL25 as promised -

DME.jpg

DME2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.