Duncan McKenzie appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the OP said, Duncan played less than 50 times for us . . . and yet he remains one of my all time favourites. Superbly skilfull as a player.
Tends to talk sense on the unfortunately rare occasions that he appears as a pundit. I've been fortunate to meet him on several occasions and can confirm that he's also an absolute gentleman.
Definitely a superbly skilful player, and what is often overlooked he was skilful and a joy to watch often on horrendous mud baths of pitches! He was also on the receiving end of challenges and physical treatment that today without a doubt would result in yellow and red cards, but back then was just an accepted part of thje game!

Great character, but virtually every manager he ever played for binned him?
I was too young to see Duncan live, but on footage it looks great fun to have seen him in the flesh. But I agree with what you're saying, as even back then, many top managers didn't know what to do with his like and would label them 'misfits'. For example, many think Marsh cost City the title and Forest signed Stan Bowles and hardly played him, so it's not a modern thing not playing this type of player, as even back then they were regarded as luxuries...although personalities like his (and Marsh, Bowles, Currie, Worthington, etc) are definitely missed.

Obviously a great entertainer but also really effective - a goal every three games and plenty of assists too. I was only 14 at the time but I don't even remember him being particulary lazy or not working hard. That 77/78 side was one of my favourites and was broken up far too soon. Just look at the array of skills on display in just one match.

I remember the Latch saying how infuriating he could be though, often he would beat three men, then with a simple pass or cross to set us up fpr a goal, he would instead try to beat a fourth, even even go back to the third man to try and beat him again. Great character, but virtually every manager he ever played for binned him?
Yes he was a great performer, he should have appeared at The Empire or The London Palladium, he fxxcked about too much on football pitches.

Met him back in his Everton career and had a good chat. I went to see a doctor in Rodney Street and Duncan was there waiting to be seen.

My first Everton match was the game v Birmingham in December 1976 when he made his home debut. I was too young to know who he was (everything being new to me) but I remember my dad taking me in the old park end upper stand and being totally dazzled by him (he scored both our goals in a 2-2 draw). My second Everton game was the cup tie v Stoke shown on the video above,so he instantly became my first Everton hero!

Status
Not open for further replies.