Duncan McKenzie appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was too young to see Duncan live, but on footage it looks great fun to have seen him in the flesh. But I agree with what you're saying, as even back then, many top managers didn't know what to do with his like and would label them 'misfits'. For example, many think Marsh cost City the title and Forest signed Stan Bowles and hardly played him, so it's not a modern thing not playing this type of player, as even back then they were regarded as luxuries...although personalities like his (and Marsh, Bowles, Currie, Worthington, etc) are definitely missed.
I am old enough to have seen them all and with the greatest respect to their clubs, they were at the likes of QOR, Sheffield, etc. because they only ever did it in flashes. There was never any consistency although of those mentioned Rodney Marsh probably came closest to being an effective footballer. Back then it was more about having a laugh then going on the lash for those types of player.

I am old enough to have seen them all and with the greatest respect to their clubs, they were at the likes of QOR, Sheffield, etc. because they only ever did it in flashes. There was never any consistency although of those mentioned Rodney Marsh probably came closest to being an effective footballer. Back then it was more about having a laugh then going on the lash for those types of player.
Frank Worthington was signing for Liverpool but failed the medical, I think they smelt his breath and his slurred speech and swerved him.

My first Everton match was the game v Birmingham in December 1976 when he made his home debut. I was too young to know who he was (everything being new to me) but I remember my dad taking me in the old park end upper stand and being totally dazzled by him (he scored both our goals in a 2-2 draw). My second Everton game was the cup tie v Stoke shown on the video above,so he instantly became my first Everton hero!
I remember that Birmingham debut game,even though it was only a draw,the crowd was in raptures about Duncan,still recall my old fella likening him at that game to his own all time hero the Golden Vision☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.