Duncan McKenzie appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy is the King

Player Valuation: £5m
Football doesn't have guys like Duncan anymore. Even though he played less than 50 games for us, I loved him. Gordon Lee got rid of him too soon.

A true entertainer - wizard with the ball at his feet, could jump minis in a single bound, throw golf balls a mile, no end to his talents........

0_Duncan-McKenzie-in-action-for-Everton-against-former-club-Nottingham-Forest.jpg

FEuP8A3WUAIizTL.jpg

18227044-0-image-a-4_1567971889510.jpg

My idol as a kid. I had the Umbro kit with the diamonds down the sleeves. I remember seeing him in one game, may have been against Stoke, when he back heeled the ball over his head, over the defender's head and ran round him to collect it. I went home and practiced that in the garden all weekend. May have been the same weekend I put the ball through dad's greenhouse, coincidence I'm sure!

Duncan McKenzie , Bob Latchford & Dave Thomas.
Christ what we'd give to have a forward line like that today.

Sadly players like Duncan are all but gone now , replaced by athletes that can kick a ball.
Fantastic player and a true gentleman on and off the pitch.
I loved that team. I suppose you never forget your first team, although anyone growing up watching us for the last few years probably wants to!

Was in the pub in Rotterdam where Radio City set up, Duncan was going to be co commentator at the game, he decided to go off and play football in the square with the Everton supporters as you do the rest of the Radio team had to leave to get set up and left him there to make his own way to the ground , they totally went in to melt down

I remember the Latch saying how infuriating he could be though, often he would beat three men, then with a simple pass or cross to set us up fpr a goal, he would instead try to beat a fourth, even even go back to the third man to try and beat him again. Great character, but virtually every manager he ever played for binned him?

As the OP said, Duncan played less than 50 times for us . . . and yet he remains one of my all time favourites. Superbly skilfull as a player.
Tends to talk sense on the unfortunately rare occasions that he appears as a pundit. I've been fortunate to meet him on several occasions and can confirm that he's also an absolute gentleman.

My idol as a kid. I had the Umbro kit with the diamonds down the sleeves. I remember seeing him in one game, may have been against Stoke, when he back heeled the ball over his head, over the defender's head and ran round him to collect it. I went home and practiced that in the garden all weekend. May have been the same weekend I put the ball through dad's greenhouse, coincidence I'm sure!
Was that the game when we all shouted ‘Ole’ every time he beat a man?

A true hero when I was a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.