2017/18 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He the closest thing we've got to a target man at the moment. I'm expecting him to start tonight.
If Sandro is fit I'd probably start with him up top with Mirallas and Rooney either side. Don't think we'll be seeing a great deal of the ball and I think Sandro is more suited to the counter attack than DCL. I'd bring him on as Sandro tired.

Can't wait to write this kid off if he does anything wrong tonight.

COYB!!!

It's not about him doing things wrong or making mistakes. He just doesn't do much of anything and I don't see why people are raving about him.

The vast majority of moves going through Calvert Lewin are halted through his limited ability unfortunately.

He was not born offside ffs. Every striker in the world gets caught offside.

Rooney was offside far more than DCL last game.

His runs weren't the problem, it's the fact everyone behind him in an unbalanced setup after the dodgy substitutions were so knackered all the passes through to him were one touch or a second too late.

The grief he's getting on here is embarrassing. Lol
Most of those off sides were borderline and some looked bad decisions anyway. The runs, from both DCL and Rooney, were on the whole well timed but you need the midfielder to spot the run early too. Split second delay can make the difference. On a different day there could have been four or five one in ones.

You can guarantee City will play a high line tonight so there may be opportunities on the counter.

As I've previously stated here, I'm beginning to understand what Koeman sees in him. A well built, intelligent young player with a good attitude who can be utilised in more than one way. If he's going to be our main man at the top end of the pitch he's got some way to go like, but he's improving with every appearance. Again the usual suspects are writing him off far too quickly.

Because that striker couldn't win a header with a defender behind him, nor control enough balls into him, and we definitely did try it a lot.

At least DCL can more often than not

So your theory that 6ft + strikers force hoof ball tactics is binned already.

Cheers for confirming that.

I don't remember Arsenal playing like that with Giroud. Spurs with Kane. Chelsea with Costa. Players with heading ability.

No pace, no vision, poor judgement, no anticipation, I could go on. Plenty of time to improve agreed, but it appears he's in this side for one reason. His height. Which we've started to play hoofball with his presence in the side. I might add that the jury is out on his heading ability also.
Other than that, you're a fan? Very early days for him yet, you often see tall players like DCL struggle in the early part of their career until they gain the core strength and control required. There was an article I read recently in relation to Michael Keane which said he would have been dropped from utds academy had they not had the consistency of coaches to see him through for that same reason.

As I've previously stated here, I'm beginning to understand what Koeman sees in him. A well built, intelligent young player with a good attitude who can be utilised in more than one way. If he's going to be our main man at the top end of the pitch he's got some way to go like, but he's improving with every appearance. Again the usual suspects are writing him off far too quickly.
Nobody is writing him off, merely stating that, right now, he's nowhere near good enough, which is clear as day.
It's like taking another random kid from League One and whopping him up front for us expecting him to score goals. I can appreciate DCL is a good height and if he put a bit of weight on could become a handful for defenders to deal with, but right now he's too skinny and lightweight and has far too little good-club experience in him to be starting games for us!
Needs to be shipped out to a decent club in the Championship for a season to toughen him up and get him ready for us next season. Should have sent him with Dowell to Forest.

It's not about him doing things wrong or making mistakes. He just doesn't do much of anything and I don't see why people are raving about him.

The vast majority of moves going through Calvert Lewin are halted through his limited ability unfortunately.
He's far from the finished article and I defo wouldn't be confident if we have him as our main focal point for the season. However I don't think he offers 'nothing'. He has all the attributes to make it imo. He's quick enough, strong, good in the air, got a good touch and can hold the ball up and presses well from the front. I can definitely see why the manage rates him.
If others don't see it this way, then fair enough, it's all about opinions.
Just think it's a bit too soon to be writing him off.
It's also too soon to say he will definitely make it as a top level striker.

So your theory that 6ft + strikers force hoof ball tactics is binned already.

Cheers for confirming that.

I don't remember Arsenal playing like that with Giroud. Spurs with Kane. Chelsea with Costa. Players with heading ability.

Mate when costa plays for chelsea they get the ball to him as quick as possible to hold up and play off him. The same thing we try with DCL. We tried it Lukaku all the time, he just couldn't do it.

I don't really see how its been binned already. Every team who has a 6ft plus striker will try and get the ball up to him as quick as possible and play off him, regardless if hes good at it or not, its the quickest way to get in the other teams box.

And i also didn't say having a 6ft striker forces hoofball, you stated we play hoofball, we mix it up like every team should do.

Most of those off sides were borderline and some looked bad decisions anyway. The runs, from both DCL and Rooney, were on the whole well timed but you need the midfielder to spot the run early too. Split second delay can make the difference. On a different day there could have been four or five one in ones.

You can guarantee City will play a high line tonight so there may be opportunities on the counter.
Agreed mate.

I don't think people have been raving about him. Not in the same way some are raving about Davies, Dowell, Kenny and Lookman. Most of the praise he's had has been somewhat reserved and mooted, along the lines of good rounded player with potential, and improving with games. Also comments about him being played out of position on the wing. Many have likened him to Graeme Sharpe and Harry Kane at the same age, which I think is fair comment.

He is still very raw with lots to learn, and shouldn't be played on the flanks as he just isn't suited to that role. He is probably getting too much game time at the moment because we don't have our first choice target man yet. But when he arrives DCL will play more of a supporting role but we'll still need him in the squad as cover.

He certainly isn't deserving of some of the stick that's being spouted on here by you and affair few others. Since when have Evertonians stopped supporting their young players.

Other than that, you're a fan? Very early days for him yet, you often see tall players like DCL struggle in the early part of their career until they gain the core strength and control required. There was an article I read recently in relation to Michael Keane which said he would have been dropped from utds academy had they not had the consistency of coaches to see him through for that same reason.

Utd didn't just stick him in the team every week in the hope of seeing him improve though.

Status
Not open for further replies.