2017/18 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
See I don’t see him hardly ever holding the ball up and ‘leading the line well’ doesn’t actually mean anything.

Hopefully a bit part player from Jan 1st, maybe he can bulk up a bit, work on putting some aggression into his game, and work on his finishing in the U23 team.

Disagree with you here bud! His hold up play is really good, especially ariely, the ball sticks more than with other forwards, but yes plenty for him to work on

You know its a penalty when Danny Murphy is calling it blatant, we can't even blame the media for this one, as its only Klopp and his deluded followers who think it wasent a penalty, all media outlets pretty much say its a penalty
Put it this way if it was the other way round and not given Klopp would still be melting in that presser.

Nailed on pen.

To be just 20 and already as good as he currently is bodes well for the future IMO

Not every player develops at the same speed. There will be 20 year old players in the Premier League who might be better than him at this moment, but I honestly think that he'll be better than them when he hits 22-23

He's probably in a position that he shouldn't be at this exact moment, but due to the thinness of the squad he's been forced out of the oven a little bit earlier than we'd all have liked. We're essentially watching him learn on the job, which is something we normally wouldn't see. He'd be playing U23 football or be on loan somewhere. We're seeing behind the curtain as he develops, so I can understand why some are frustrated as this doesn't normally happen with younger players. We often see them when they're further along, so to see DCL still trying to find his place in the world can be unusual and difficult to digest. However, we need to grade him on a curve, we really do

All I will say is this, be patient with him and let him develop at his own speed. It'll be worth it IMO, as I think he's going to be a cracking player who could be an intgral part of our side in 2-3 years time. It's not going to happen overnight though and there'll be plenty of bumps in the road along the way. What we need to do is stick with him when those bumps inevitably show themselves. The days of sticking the knife into young lads during a dry patch need to go the way of the dodo at this club if we're ever to get the most out of players like DCL

To be just 20 and already as good as he currently is bodes well for the future IMO

Not every player develops at the same speed. There will be 20 year old players in the Premier League who might be better than him at this moment, but I honestly think that he'll be better than them when he hits 22-23

He's probably in a position that he shouldn't be at this exact moment, but due to the thinness of the squad he's been forced out of the oven a little bit earlier than we'd all have liked. We're essentially watching him learn on the job, which is something we normally wouldn't see. He'd be playing U23 football or be on loan somewhere. We're seeing behind the curtain as he develops, so I can understand why some are frustrated as this doesn't normally happen with younger players. We often see them when they're further along, so to see DCL still trying to find his place in the world can be unusual and difficult to digest. However, we need to grade him on a curve, we really do

All I will say is this, be patient with him and let him develop at his own speed. It'll be worth it IMO, as I think he's going to be a cracking player who could be an intgral part of our side in 2-3 years time. It's not going to happen overnight though and there'll be plenty of bumps in the road along the way. What we need to do is stick with him when those bumps inevitably show themselves. The days of sticking the knife into young lads during a dry patch need to go the way of the dodo at this club if we're ever to get the most out of players like DCL

Agree with all of this. Thing is with Dom, there's been plenty of games when I've been thinking after about 75 minutes that I'd take Dom off because he must be knackered with all the thankless running he has to do, chasing long punts, challenging against two central defenders with little support, but he just keeps on going, giving his all, winning a late penalty yesterday. He does exactly what managers ask him to do - no wonder they seem to like him.

I think part of the problem this season with some of the fans feeling towards him has not been helped with him being relied upon so much. If he was used more as a squad player I think he'd be far more appreciated. It's weird with him because I am 100% behind him, like I am with any player that wears our shirt, but I find a lot of his performances frustrating to watch. But having said that, he has been absolutely vital in some games this season and he's stepped up in important moments.

He's got a lot of improving to do but definitely has a part to play this season and beyond and can only see him getting better.

The words "well said" and "deaf ears" spring to mind mate. We are what we are.

That they keep their views to forums such as this, and don't carry it into the live matches. is probably the best we can ask. On the whole I think our fans do, but it isn't always the case as can be seen with Barkley and Stones in recent times.

Different eras, different teams, but given the role and age of the player - consider that Everton won the league in 1969/70 and Joe Royle led the line as a traditional centre forward - he was 20 years old for most of the season, turning 21 just before the end of the season. He played all 42 games and notched 23. Gives cause to reflect on the other players in a team, the flair and creativity which enables young strikers to be confident and produce the goods; of course, Joe had Ball, Harvey & Kendall running the show, supported by the excellent back up of Morrissey and Husband. I suppose the essence is that young players flourish when surrounded by great players. Would Calvert-Lewin have had the same impact, we'll never know. He's obviously not at the same level as Royle was, but there is evidence of a determination to be a better player, and hopefully he will continue to develop his game. This takes us to the argument about the general lack of creativity throughout the team this season, which doesn't help a young striker. All top strikers should be aiming for at least 1 goal every 2 games, so his positional play and conversion rate need to improve, but so does the need for others to up their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.