2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

That's what got us in this mess we are in, not selling players when they have one year left when there is a chance they won't be resigning. Club finally made the correct move in selling Iwobi last summer. Look at all the players who have left us for nothing when there contract runs out.

I liked Iwobi, but his importance to the team pales in comparison to a healthy DCL.

Again, trading a few dollars for our PL status makes zero financial sense.

We will go down if he is sold and we fail to replace him with someone equally as good. The rest of our strikers are championship level, and that's where we will end up if we have to rely on them.

We've averaged 41 points the last 3 seasons.

Small margins, lose that focal point/baseline of goals and it could be the difference between going down.

Even with his worst run of form in his career last season, he still contributed in a way I don't think Beto, Chermiti or Maupay can.

That performance vs Liverpool - a few of them a season is massive.
Agree, fit and on form he's pretty vital to the system.

Very complicated situation though between his contract situation and his injury history. Even if we found the money (and he wants to stay), what if we give him a long contract and he starts breaking down again? That's really a call the medical staff have to be involved in - is he over his injury problems or merely managing them?

That's what got us in this mess we are in, not selling players when they have one year left when there is a chance they won't be resigning. Club finally made the correct move in selling Iwobi last summer. Look at all the players who have left us for nothing when there contract runs out.

We're in the mess we're in now though, being the headline.

That mess dictates we're very close to relegation - which would put us in a mess that makes the last 3 years look like good times.

Suddenly explains those links to the lad at Luton.

Wouldn't want to lose him as when he's fit he's a huge asset and there aren't many players around with his mix of pace, athleticism and ability in the air but we all know what the financial situation is. If we could get £40m for him (I'm plucking a number out of the sky here, but given we got £22m for Iwobi last summer who was in the same contractual position, I don't think it's a million miles away from being a fair ask) and get most of that up front (Newcastle don't have cash flow issues, it's PSR that's the problem) as they did with us in the Gordon deal, I could see this happening.

We don't know what the PSR situation is, but we do know that cash flow is a huge problem and I don't think any deal is going to be completely off the table.

Feel the same, would be very tempted to keep and hope to get him to sign a contract mid-season if the on / off field position improves.

Even though I love Branthwaite, I'd back Dyche (and Tarkowski) to be able to bed in a decent CB replacement without too much difficulty. At his best what DCL gives to this system is very hard to replicate and losing DCL would be more risky.

But everyone's got a price I suppose. For me though, if Iwobi was 22m in a similar contract position it's 30 bare minimum for DCL.
That's the thing - Branthwaite is objectively a generational talent, but his position in the team is easiest for Dyche to replace. The drop-off from DCL is already a nightmare - imagine Maupay, Beto and Chermiti.

Think is the money with them signing the cb for free prob think can get dcl for a decent price to. Cant blame dcl really up to the club to try pay what he wants and try keep him. Was getting back to his best towards rnd of season