2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

To be fair, where Zat has a point is that if there is no prospect of him renewing we are faced with a straight choice between 25m (plus the wages saved) or one more year of DCL it's a valid way to look at it that you'd be effectively paying 25m for a 1 year loan of DCL.

And if you frame it that way it would be madness to do so. And if you did want to lash 25m at a striker for a single year in all likelihood you could do better, it's just that you never would.
I think most folks problem with Zat's position is the players he suggests bringing in.

Sure, there'd be extra cash to play with if we sold DCL and saved his salary, but we're clearly cost cutting. We'd be getting a Josh King or a Jo on a loan or a freebie on year deal to replace DCL.

Anyway, less of this sensible discussion, the good stuff is Zat getting wound up and calling folk stupid.

Newcastle have to sell apparently to remain within PSR with a few clubs sniffing around Isaak (albeit NUFC have slapped a nonsense £200m price on his head) so IF he goes, I can see an offer for DCL landing pdq

As @MACCA75 posted above, it would mean Wilson out DCL in. Nothing to do with Isak.

I think the problem is that we've seen our DoF squander £25 million on Beto so therefore have very little confidence that we can adequately replace DCL let alone upgrade him for what we would get in selling him.

His goal scoring record was terrible last season but even Stevie Wonder can see that he brings so much more than goals to the team.

If we had a goal scoring winger and midfielder we would be fine.

With his injury record and our financial situation there is a decent argument for selling him but in all honesty I think.we would struggle even more than last season if he goes.

The notion that we can attract Lukaku or David is for the birds.

3 things...

1: Its great DCL brings alot as a target man. However we dont have the players around him to score. So we need a goalscorer from somewhere. Based on the past 3 seasons and aside from the last half a dozen games its not DCL, not under this style of play at least.

2: Beto was only that fee as it was no money down. If we actually had £25mil to spend (on the drip or preferably upfront) then I have no doubt we would have gone for Gykokeres or someone that wasnt Beto. Having said that, Beto would probably score more than DCL from open play just looking at those previous goalscoring comparisons for the past 3 seasons.

3: I only threw in a couple of names as @Nymzee couldnt comprehend the logic.

If a superior player is valued at £50mil or below and we offered £30mil to his club for 12months -- guaranteeing them regular games...

No club is rejecting that in the knowledge they can pocket that money. The only challenge is attracting the player and Lukaku isnt exactly overwhelmed with big wage offers and David wasnt sold last season.

Lets go with Mauro Icardi instead then...or alternatively any willing centre forward valued below £50mil and better than DCL.

5th time saying I would not ever do this.

But it disproves any logic of purposely allowing a player to run their contract down when we have different options.

As @MACCA75 posted above, it would mean Wilson out DCL in. Nothing to do with Isak.

3 things...

1: Its great DCL brings alot as a target man. However we dont have the players around him to score. So we need a goalscorer from somewhere. Based on the past 3 seasons and aside from the last half a dozen games its not DCL, not under this style of play at least.

2: Beto was only that fee as it was no money down. If we actually had £25mil to spend (on the drip or preferably upfront) then I have no doubt we would have gone for Gykokeres or someone that wasnt Beto. Having said that, Beto would probably score more than DCL from open play just looking at those previous goalscoring comparisons for the past 3 seasons.

3: I only threw in a couple of names as @Nymzee couldnt comprehend the logic.

If a superior player is valued at £50mil or below and we offered £30mil to his club for 12months -- guaranteeing them regular games...

No club is rejecting that in the knowledge they can pocket that money. The only challenge is attracting the player and Lukaku isnt exactly overwhelmed with big wage offers and David wasnt sold last season.

Lets go with Mauro Icardi instead then...or alternatively any willing centre forward valued below £50mil and better than DCL.

5th time saying I would not ever do this.

But it disproves any logic of purposely allowing a player to run their contract down when we have different options.

@Goat

Why would you throw £30m on a loan fee?

Wouldn't that use the £25m from DCL plus the £5m in wages... with the need to find additional for the incomings wages?

There'd be no resale either.

This feels a bit like Moshiri accounting.
Agreed, I'm not following this 'loan a player for 12 months thing' if we get rid of our main man, we replace him. There are numerous strikers £30m and under we could make permanent moves for.

Agreed, I'm not following this 'loan a player for 12 months thing' if we get rid of our main man, we replace him. There are numerous strikers £30m and under we could make permanent moves for.

How is what im saying hard to understand?

1: Some posters want DCL to run down his contract and not sell him even if he doesnt extend.

2: That is based on a £25mil potential fee and circa £5mil on saved wages for next season.

3: Instead of doing the above, we'd be better off selling. Why? Because EVEN IF we just chucked £30mil somewhere for a 12month loan on a superior player....we would still have a better player.

Ergo, its crazy to want to run down his deal as if we sell then we can sign a better replacement long term or even worst case LOAN a player for ALL of his fee and wages.

Im not saying that is something i would do, want, advocate for the 6th time.

Its an example to show how allowing a player to run down their contract is the worst option of the lot.

Of all the business we’ve done in the last 8 years, £30m to loan Lukaku for a season may just take the crown as the worst of the lot.

7th time im saying i wouldnt do this.

How is what im saying hard to understand?

1: Some posters want DCL to run down his contract and not sell him even if he doesnt extend.

2: That is based on a £25mil potential fee and circa £5mil on saved wages for next season.

3: Instead of doing the above, we'd be better off selling. Why? Because EVEN IF we just chucked £30mil somewhere for a 12month loan on a superior player....we would still have a better player.

Ergo, its crazy to want to run down his deal as if we sell then we can sign a better replacement long term or even worst case LOAN a player for ALL of his fee and wages.

Im not saying that is something i would do, want, advocate for the 6th time.

Its an example to show how allowing a player to run down their contract is the worst option of the lot.

7th time im saying i wouldnt do this.
Zat I understand perfectly the selling DCL part (agree with it) it's the loaning a player for 12 months bit that makes no sense. There are plenty of players we could sign for any DCL fee, you and I both know that.