2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

There is a good chance that selling him would be a massive mistake.

The team is better with him in it. He is excellent when fit and on form and it looks like that was happening at the back end of the season.

How could he be replaced with sod all money.
Not as big a mistake as him walking away for free in 12 months.
Want him to stay but not at the expense of a bosman.

Girona signed that Ukranian bloke who scored 24 for them this season for 7m.
They are out there. We baulked at a few extra million to buy what is now one of Europe’s hottest strikers from Cov, and instead sold them our own youth striker and paid even more for Beto.

We don’t just need to spot the safe-ish but good value players, we need to be decisive and less dithery. Gyokeres may not have been playing at elite level last year, but the numbers and stats are rediculous, and anyone that watched any full Cov games with actual eyeballs could see £20-25m was an absolute steal (which I assume our scouts did). We didn’t even have much PL competition because other teams were looking at players with higher price tags (and also bought mostly crap, with some exceptions).

We were already terrified of losing Dom for £60m a couple of years ago. Hindsight eh. I’d prefer he signed a new deal because we know what we have, and we might buy a dud, but if he doesn’t, shake hands, best wishes and get him and us the best deal. Ideally get another club involved to squeeze an extra couple of million with some mutually agreed fake “interest”.

Unfortunately, he only has a year left on his contract. We can't let players go for nothing. Hope he signs a new contract, because there is little chance of us replacing him with someone as good.

This is the problem. The club has to weigh up potention new contact and wage demands with sell on value. We simply won't get a similar forward that brings the kind of value he brings to the team. Another symptom of a poorly run football club, having to sell, can't afford wage demands, don't have a replacement, don't score any where near enough goals as a team. I know he had a very bad run this season but I wouldn't sell him. Not at this time. Give him the contract and then maybe just maybe go and look for someone better for the future.