2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

No, but I think Beto will benefit by being first choice if DCL is sold. We will have to play in a different way but that may not be a bad thing at all.

For far too long we've had a #1 striker (first Rom, then DCL) but have spent a lot of money trying to back him up without it ever working, because the players in question knew they'd be second choice.
Playing in an entirely different way to accommodate Beto is a scary prospect. I mean I hope he proves me wrong but he is nowhere near as effective as DCL in any aspect.

I think this fella needs a new contract. Assuming he is open to accepting…

I don’t think we can afford to lose him. I think he’s the best striker, easily, that we have. We would definitely miss him if he were to go, we cannot afford to replace him.

People go on about his lack of goals, if they think he is the problem, they aren’t looking hard enough.

One of our best players.

Are you not concerned that we have spent well in excess of 200million to replace Dom and hes still very much the best Striker at the club?

He was injured for almost 2 seasons and we had 2 very close relegation battles, in the season he stayed fit the team "finishes" around 10th?

Clearly I overrate him, happy to admit that, but there are a lot of people who really underrate what he brings to the side.

TBF I don't think we have ever tried to replace him; we've generally bought or loaned supporting players for him (Kean, Richy) or "could do a job" backups (Maupay, Rondon, King, Tosun). None of these were an upgrade on him or even intended to be capable of fighting him for that spot, and I think the failure of many of them is down to why we've bought them.

I think he probably is the best striker at the club and would be made up if he signs a new deal, but what I was trying to say is that if he does go then we really should focus on the guys who are here to replace him.

TBF I don't think we have ever tried to replace him; we've generally bought or loaned supporting players for him (Kean, Richy) or "could do a job" backups (Maupay, Rondon, King, Tosun). None of these were an upgrade on him or even intended to be capable of fighting him for that spot, and I think the failure of many of then is down to why we've bought them.

I think he probably is the best striker at the club and would be made up if he signs a new deal, but what I was trying to say is that if he does go then we really should focus on the guys who are here to replace him.
I dont think Beto and Chermo are adequate replacements.

And I think it would be pretty risky to wait and see over a full season.

If he leaves, he would need replacing, maybe not like for like, but at least his body in the squad.

I think this fella needs a new contract. Assuming he is open to accepting…

I don’t think we can afford to lose him. I think he’s the best striker, easily, that we have. We would definitely miss him if he were to go, we cannot afford to replace him.

People go on about his lack of goals, if they think he is the problem, they aren’t looking hard enough.

One of our best players.
Well said mate, people blame his goals, they are not looking at his service providers, the worst we have had in decades

If he leaves, he would need replacing, maybe not like for like, but at least his body in the squad.

I think one or both of them might be, and the only way we'll ever find out is by starting one or both of them for a decent sequence of games.

In the PL this season, Beto has played the 90 twice. His longest sequence of starting games is 3 starts, and in the latter two of them he was taken off after 60-odd minutes.

Chermiti has played the 90 once, and that is the only time in the PL this season he's played more than half an hour of a game. Everything else has been shortb cameos from the bench.

We paid £25 million for Beto, and £12 million plus for Chermiti. If DCL goes, given the money constraints we absolutely have to give them a proper opportunity to step up.

I think one or both of them might be, and the only way we'll ever find out is by starting one or both of them for a decent sequence of games.

In the PL this season, Beto has played the 90 twice. His longest sequence of starting games is 3 starts, and in the latter two of them he was taken off after 60-odd minutes.

Chermiti has played the 90 once, and that is the only time in the PL this season he's played more than half an hour of a game. Everything else has been shortb cameos from the bench.

We paid £25 million for Beto, and £12 million plus for Chermiti. If DCL goes, given the money constraints we absolutely have to give them a proper opportunity to step up.
Fair enough, but 2 Strikers isnt enough for a PL Season, thats my only real point.

Agree that neither have been given a proper run out, as ive said, would rather Chermo was given a good loan in a good league where he would play every week and learn a bit more, but I doubt we ever have that luxury.

There are a few players in the squad that if they were to leave it wouldnt impact us, I think DCL leaving would very much impact and we would need to do something to lessen that impact.

Are you not concerned that we have spent well in excess of 200million to replace Dom and hes still very much the best Striker at the club?

He was injured for almost 2 seasons and we had 2 very close relegation battles, in the season he stayed fit the team "finishes" around 10th?

Clearly I overrate him, happy to admit that, but there are a lot of people who really underrate what he brings to the side.
I’d love to see the stats on what he brings defensively to the side. Think he wins a lot of headers in our own box and guess he’s played a decent part in our good record there this season. Even if even he hadn’t always been on the scoresheet himself, stopping a goal at the other end can be important.

Remember the days when we had yakubu, Saha and James Vaughan as three competing…
Of course they were injured… but the options if the got fit

IMG_9021.jpeg

Dom is very good and I have seen no evidence that what we have in reserve is adequate to replace him. We need to get him to commit to a new deal or listen to offers. The question in that scenario is how much is the minimum we should accept, below which we allow him to see out his contract and leave on a free in 2025?