2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Nobody is shopping for new players like we’re looking for Europe - simply pointing out that DCL is currently not doing what we need him to, and based on his career record he’s unlikely to score the amount of goals even a mid table side needs from its main striker.
What convinces you he’s good enough and are you content with his goals return? Do you think his chance conversion is healthy? I’m genuinely interested to see what you think is great about him -personally I’m of the view he needs to contribute much, much more than he does currently.
I agree with all those things you are saying, I'm simply saying we aren't going to get anyone better.

And I have to take you to talk on that. None of what your said is true.

Really not sure what games you're watching.
All true sir. However, convince yourself he’s a workhorse who instinctively knows where the ball is going to be, and that he times his leaps well. Enjoy watching him outpace defenders or even out-muscle defenders and slot a hatful. He’s bang average but we have to hope he comes good as we can’t afford a replacement.

I agree with all those things you are saying, I'm simply saying we aren't going to get anyone better.
That’s a damning indictment of up and coming players in the Championship and some of the foreign leagues. I’d say there are definitely players who could fill his boots and provide a better goals return but the scouting network needs to unearth them. It can be done if clubs are prepared to look and take a gamble.....look at Evan Ferguson, Ivan Toney, Jarod Bowen and Julian Alvarez (£14.1M!!)

That’s a damning indictment of up and coming players in the Championship and some of the foreign leagues. I’d say there are definitely players who could fill his boots and provide a better goals return but the scouting network needs to unearth them. It can be done if clubs are prepared to look and take a gamble.....look at Evan Ferguson, Ivan Toney, Jarod Bowen and Julian Alvarez (£14.1M!!)
Yes, and instead we are going to spend 25mil on Beto. I'm not saying there aren't better strikers out there we could get, I'm being realistic about who we will have up front for us. We have no money at the moment, we are a 3 time relegation candidate. It's just where we are as a club, it's not something I'm gloating about.

If you look at the all round package DCL offers (on a good day) then a comparable striker is Ivan Toney. He'll be moving for another 70m in a few months.

I guess the trial run is seeing what Chermiti develops into in next two years. He's a long way off prem currently and probably will get a loan like Branthwaite next season but he has the raw potential to develop into DCL type.

If you look at the all round package DCL offers (on a good day) then a comparable striker is Ivan Toney. He'll be moving for another 70m in a few months.

I guess the trial run is seeing what Chermiti develops into in next two years. He's a long way off prem currently and probably will get a loan like Branthwaite next season but he has the raw potential to develop into DCL type.
I don’t really see any similarities between Toney and DCL to be honest, other than (tongue in cheek) their goal return in the last six months!Lets hope for a big improvement.

His good says are once or twice a season though, so not really a good argument

Comparing DCL with Toney is like comparing a Fiat with a Ferrari because they’re both cars.

Toney has 139 career league goals in 331 games compared to DCL’s 50 in 195. In just the last 2.5 seasons in the Prem, Toney has bagged 32 in 66, DCL has 10 in 48. A 1-in-2 striker vs a 1-in-5 striker is no comparison at all (Toney’s last 3 seasons alone take him past DCL’s entire career total).

As for the “all round package” stuff, I think people are very quick to assign that as if it’s some sort of amazing attribute or magic quality to gloss over and cover for a striker who is simply not a natural goal scoring No9. It's as if DCL is the only striker in the land who can run about a bit or can hold the ball up, or that he’s miles better at it than most forwards in the league who do the same sort of job.

Why anyone rates a striker who is so adept at missing so many chances is beyond me. If every club were given their pick of either one I’d be amazed if any club opted for DCL over Toney (gambling bans aside of course).

Imagine being the number one striker at a club and the manager tells you Keane is getting your position 🤣
I'm not sure what's laughably sadder: having a useless center back take your place because he's more dangerous in front of goal than you, or still being the number one striker even when you've failed to hit a barn door for 13 games in a row... 🙃

Toney is absolutely leaps and bounds a better finisher than. Dom.

We play better with him in the team but he has the goalscoring threat of Shane Long. In order for him to really be effective you need 2 goalscoring wide players to take the burden off him. But it's where we are as a club. He's the best we've got.

Toney may be similar… but Toney provides better quality and delivers it consistently…
That’s why he would cost that amount.

Also I do t think he’d go for 70m more like 50m maybe 60 with add ons

Posted a few weeks ago when he was missing chances that the spotlight wouldnt fall on him while the team were winning.
Its not rocket science. You need your forwards to hit the back of the net. The thing with lewin is there isnt a break away goal in him. There isnt a ball over the top and say chase that sort of goal there.
Heat is on him again. Any forward who doesnt score will get that.