2022/23 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh sorry was on about a different ball, yeh remember that one now, his touch took it towards the defender, should have trusted his left.
Yes that’s the one. Ultimately, it took that long to give him even a semi decent pass that he could run on to. He made same run various other occasions but we were too slow or screwed the pass. He needs better service.

He won a few of pickfords punts up, but he looked well off the pace. Always a second or 2 behind the play. Which having missed months, is understandable.

Doesn't help that our wingers were terrible. Think we made one cross for him while he was on. Then 30 seconds after he went off, Gordon swung one in.

He won a few of pickfords punts up, but he looked well off the pace. Always a second or 2 behind the play. Which having missed months, is understandable.

Doesn't help that our wingers were terrible. Think we made one cross for him while he was on. Then 30 seconds after he went off, Gordon swung one in.

…tend to agree. I think the shape looked better because he was more of a focal point but he was largely ineffective and clearly very rusty.

Early in the game the ball was punted up to him, he took the CB a yard back, arms & backside out, he took the ball on his chest. I had to smile because it was exactly the technique I mentioned in the Maupay thread a week or so ago.

We’ll be better with DCL but Thelwell can’t take the risk that he’ll be healthy for the rest of the season.

Thought it was a bit ironic Lampard brought on his two best crosses of a ball after he took DCL off.

…tend to agree. I think the shape looked better because he was more of a focal point but he was largely ineffective and clearly very rusty.

Early in the game the ball was punted up to him, he took the CB a yard back, arms & backside out, he took the ball on his chest. I had to smile because it was exactly the technique I mentioned in the Maupay thread a week or so ago.

We’ll be better with Dominic Calvert-Lewin but Thelwell can’t take the risk that he’ll be healthy for the rest of the season.

Thought it was a bit ironic Lampard brought on his two best crosses of a ball after he took Dominic Calvert-Lewin off.

The subs were made far far too late as well. Needed Maupay on to get busy around DCL not to replace him and leave him isolated exactly the same way DCL was

Criminal leaving Gordon on for the full 90. Should have been hooked at half time, get Mcneil on with the only instruction of his to get balls into the box and get DCL to male a nuisance of himself with Maupay looking fir any scraps

I'm not sure how someone loses - and then regains - the ability to time a jump correctly. Isn't it just an innate, intuitive skill that even children have?

The subs were made far far too late as well. Needed Maupay on to get busy around Dominic Calvert-Lewin not to replace him and leave him isolated exactly the same way Dominic Calvert-Lewin was

Criminal leaving Gordon on for the full 90. Should have been hooked at half time, get Mcneil on with the only instruction of his to get balls into the box and get Dominic Calvert-Lewin to male a nuisance of himself with Maupay looking fir any scraps

…I actually thought Trippier was causing us problems with his running down that flank & McNeil might have helped that cause.

…I actually thought Trippier was causing us problems with his running down that flank & McNeil might have helped that cause.

From a defensive point of view Mcneil offers far more doesn't he. But then he isn't blessed with pace so that would have taken him out the game instantly snd pr9bsbly wouldn't be in anywhere near the positions required to cross a ball.

I'm hoping DCL has enough in the tank to start again Saturday. The only way he gets fit St this point is minutes in the legs and get him to trust his body

Status
Not open for further replies.