2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree I just feel with DCL our fans are ultra defensive over him as they've been hurt by gash strikers at the club since Rom left - a bit of better the devil you know mentality.

Its like a teenage girl who had her first love (Lukaku) end and went out sleeping around with losers and bad boys (Sandro, Tosun) trying to find the spark she had with her first love (Big Rom) she's let down by said losers and is about to give up but then she meets a nice lad who isnt an idiot and has some nice qualities (DCL) but you just don't get the sparks you had with your first.

For me that sums up Evertonians with DCL - some girls would stick with DCL and be happy with what they have so to speak whilst others would twist and try find someone who gets those butterflies bouncing in ya garments.

And as I said - I havent a problem with DCL - he's certainly good enough to be a squad player for us for the forseeable - I just think if we are to truly gatecrash the top 4 we need to take the gamble on someone who has the glass ceiling high enough to be a 20 goals a season forward.

Most of this is just nonsense.

He’s 23. He’ll get better. He’ll miss chances. He’ll score plenty.

He’s a decent striker.

He’s not aguero, vardy, Kane or Aubameyang. But he’s certainly as good as the next tier of striker. And he’s going to get better.

Right ... I’m not sure how to respond tbh .
First I don’t really appreciate being called a liar
Second you say I have never said anything good about him... that’s not true so I could actually call you a liar if I wished .
I’m not obsessed with him, the abuse I get on here because I think it’s ridiculous that people mention him as a future drogba etc .. and don’t say they don’t because I read one a few posts ago about him “ having a drogba inside him” , the abuse for disagreeing isn’t really warranted but I got the same when I disagreed about Barkley being better than scholes , Gerard and Lampard at the same age . If you honestly think my life would be happier watching Everton be crap and me being able to say I told you so rather than Everton actually winning each week then you’re being an idiot . I’ve watched Everton be crap to mediocre for 90% of the time I have been a blue and I would much rather we were good. I have mentioned that he’s a terrific athlete but I also say that doesn’t really mean much if you can’t kick a football , And I didn’t “ go quiet for a while” when he was scoring , I kept my opinion as I didn’t want people to think exactly what you just said. So please in future try not to call me a liar and then post “facts” that are actually untrue as it’s a bit hypocritical
Sorry mate

I'll do a proper response to this some time. But in the meantime I need to apologise if I gave the impression I was calling you a liar. That was not the intention.

I said in my post that you are either lying or you are in denial. I should have qualified that by saying that I felt you were in denial. I don't think you are a liar and I'm sorry that I gave that impression.

I agree I just feel with DCL our fans are ultra defensive over him as they've been hurt by gash strikers at the club since Rom left - a bit of better the devil you know mentality.

Its like a teenage girl who had her first love (Lukaku) end and went out sleeping around with losers and bad boys (Sandro, Tosun) trying to find the spark she had with her first love (Big Rom) she's let down by said losers and is about to give up but then she meets a nice lad who isnt an idiot and has some nice qualities (DCL) but you just don't get the sparks you had with your first.

For me that sums up Evertonians with DCL - some girls would stick with DCL and be happy with what they have so to speak whilst others would twist and try find someone who gets those butterflies bouncing in ya garments.

And as I said - I havent a problem with DCL - he's certainly good enough to be a squad player for us for the forseeable - I just think if we are to truly gatecrash the top 4 we need to take the gamble on someone who has the glass ceiling high enough to be a 20 goals a season forward and what better time than to be able to attract one than with Carlo Ancelotti as manager.

The simple point is that you have never understood what he has been asked to do. The weird thing is, he does his job VERY well but you cannot understand that.

The simple point is that you have never understood what he has been asked to do. The weird thing is, he does his job VERY well but you cannot understand that.

No 38 games are all the same - for every side that will have DCL bully them you'll have sides with alehouse defenders who'll battle DCL all game in the air thats where you need to mix it up and have someone with pace to play through them but we dont have the personnel to do that.

Like Chelsea - for games against alehouse sides they'll play the likes of Abraham for his quickness / pace.

For teams with flakey defenders they'll utilise Giroud who is a beast in the air and can hold it up for the wide players.

Evertonians are terrified of having competition in the squad after years of "we'll go with what we've got" its a mentality ingrained into us from years of being skint.

No 38 games are all the same - for every side that will have DCL bully them you'll have sides with alehouse defenders who'll battle DCL all game in the air thats where you need to mix it up and have someone with pace to play through them but we dont have the personnel to do that.

Like Chelsea - for games against alehouse sides they'll play the likes of Abraham for his quickness / pace.

For teams with flakey defenders they'll utilise Giroud who is a beast in the air and can hold it up for the wide players.

Evertonians are terrified of having competition in the squad after years of "we'll go with what we've got".

As the lone front man against two prem defenders, he is what you need.He has done it for 4 years now without fuss or drama and, with a better midfield and support we'd have had many many more goals

No hiding I’m in the critic club of DCL.. but that finish today is what I’ve been looking for.. clean, purposeful and perfectly executed into the net.. a striker in control of his execution and delivering it when he gets his chance...

great finish lad...
I'm with you. I've always thought that DCL was in the 'not really good enough, but might do for now' category. Even his goal tally didn't convince me, in that I thought he was a game trier, who'd got a bit lucky for a season. Now starting to wonder if I was wrong. Not likely, as the last time I was wrong was in 1987, when I thought I was wrong, but actually turned out to be right. Still, I'm considering whether I may have been guilty of an error in judgement, which is rare for someone as unpleasantly arrogant as me.

I'm with you. I've always thought that DCL was in the 'not really good enough, but might do for now' category. Even his goal tally didn't convince me, in that I thought he was a game trier, who'd got a bit lucky for a season. Now starting to wonder if I was wrong. Not likely, as the last time I was wrong was in 1987, when I thought I was wrong, but actually turned out to be right. Still, I'm considering whether I may have been guilty of an error in judgement, which is rare for someone as unpleasantly arrogant as me.

yeah, it’s still too early to say he is the man... and he has developed to the point where he is a top 6 EPL striker .. I’ve been wrong plenty times thinking someone will be good enough and being disappointed... but I’ve yet to write someone off and see them make me eat my words.. I would love DCL to be the guy.

Unstoppable header weren't it. I don't have faith with him when he has the ball at his feet but if the ball is in the air there aren't many who I'd rather have on the end of it.

If I was Southgate watching that match, DCL would be in the England team way before Kane. Sure Kane on his day is a top striker, but DCL's endless work rate is so good for the team performance. It would work wonders for players like Sancho and Sterling.

He's progressed in leaps and bounds since Ancelotti has taken the reigns. It's only sensible that we keep playing him and see how far he goes. I'm not sure he has the potential to be a world class striker, but that doesn't mean that he's not good enough to have a bright future at Everton.

He's progressed in leaps and bounds since Ancelotti has taken the reigns. It's only sensible that we keep playing him and see how far he goes. I'm not sure he has the potential to be a world class striker, but that doesn't mean that he's not good enough to have a bright future at Everton.

Andy Gray, Graeme Sharp and Adrian Heath were never Maradona class but they were more than good enough to do their job. Nil Satis Nisi Optimum isn't always about natural given ability.

DCL is a plenty useful tool for any decent side.

Status
Not open for further replies.