2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not get behind the lad rather than blind negativity 2 posts into the thread.

Wilson has only ever scored more than DCL managed last season once. And he is 5 years older so should be scoring more. Not the 8 he only managed last season which is pathetic for an international.

You have no idea how long I’ve been waiting in hope for Nymz to splash the cash on the new DCL thread to be the furst person not only to post put to say something negative.

One of my finest moments.

You would have to expect him to get 10 this season, at the very least. I've got a figure of 15 in my head, which I'm expecting him to achieve easily, with a better midfield behind him. After the restart, I'm surprised any of our front players got any at all with siggy and Davies in the middle. I am a bit concerned with some of the negativity toward him before we've even kicked a ball yet?

A few things:i) he's 23, ii) he may have cost £1.5m, but this is completely irrelevant as he's now a first choice striker at the club iii) I'm not sure if this is what you meant but it sounds like you're blaming fans for his shortcomings?
The fact he cost £1.5 million isn’t completely irrelevant. The club didn’t buy the finished article in DCL, they bought a player who they thought could develop and improve. That’s what he’s been doing and is continuing to do, particularly now, as you say, he’s first choice striker.

It sounds like you’re blaming DCL for being first choice, he doesn’t select himself. If you don’t think he’s not good enough blame Carlo and or Brands for not replacing him as a priority. I suspect they probably know he’s not be finished article but believe his potential is a high level, hence 5 year contract and nobody coming in to take his place.

They’re playing the long game; develop a £50 +million pound striker rather than buy one. That might or might not pan out but DCL’s giving it a good go, has shown a great attitude so get behind him.

The fact he cost £1.5 million isn’t completely irrelevant. The club didn’t buy the finished article in DCL, they bought a player who they thought could develop and improve. That’s what he’s been doing and is continuing to do, particularly now, as you say, he’s first choice striker.

It sounds like you’re blaming DCL for being first choice, he doesn’t select himself. If you don’t think he’s not good enough blame Carlo and or Brands for not replacing him as a priority. I suspect they probably know he’s not be finished article but believe his potential is a high level, hence 5 year contract and nobody coming in to take his place.

They’re playing the long game; develop a £50 +million pound striker rather than buy one. That might or might not pan out but DCL’s giving it a good go, has shown a great attitude so get behind him.

What we paid for him is utterly irrelevant. Our ambition given the money we've spent over years now should be to break into the top 6. Every player's ability/performance should be judged against that, not what we paid for them. He's either good enough for that, or he isn't. If he isn't performing at the required level, he is a problem and gets criticism, which should go for everyone. It's as simple and as fair as that. If we're not setting the top 6 as the minimum aim in the short-term, given our spending, we may as well not bother.

The "personal attack" tactic used to discourage criticism of a player's ability is unfortunately as predictable as it is boring. Why would anyone blame a player for being picked? Of course the club are to blame if they sign players that can't produce what the club's ambitions required. People generally don't blame any player for not being good enough as long as they're genuinely trying, which 99% of the time they are.

The fact that he's been a first choice striker has cost us a huge amount over the last few years and he only recently started paying back on that. Davies never did. If the last 4/5 years are the result of playing the "long game", then that tactic has been a disaster. If DCL does become a £50m striker, fantastic. But it won't erase the 3 years before that, where he was horrendous. I'd much rather he'd been out on loan developing while we had a competent striker in place. We wouldn't want to be hanging our hat on Branthwaite or Nkounkou as first choice for the same reason. There's every reason to expect they'd be nowhere near the level we need.

You cant honestly believe that Surely? I’m one of if not his biggest critic and I would much rather eat humble pie and get “ I told you so” from people here and watch Everton winning and challenging than I would watching us drop points because of DCL and be “ right” .
I do 100% believe it mate. In my opinion you are either lying in the above post or you are in denial.

The reason I believe that is you are obsessed with the lad. You have never had one positive thing to say about him. Ever. You consistently poke fun at him and those on here who have supported him since his debut as a 19 yo. It's generally accepted by the majority on here that he has improved season on season, and most are of the opinion that he has now earned the opportunity to play with better midfielders to see if he can improve further.

Even when he was scoring goals last season you didn't praise or even acknowledge him. You simply went quiet for a while until he went through a few games without scoring, and then returned with glee to pronounce that it was just a purple patch as you had surmised, an opinion you have voiced numerous times since with alacrity.

It isn't the fact that you don't rate him Tel. There are lot's on here who have that view but are a lot more circumspect about how they portray it. TBH I'm still not convinced myself that he is going to become the striker we need if we are to challenge for CL. And even though I want him to excel this season, part of me wants Moise Kean to replace him as first choice because I think he has a higher ceiling.

But even if the lad gets 15-20 league goals this season, which isn't inconceivable given his tally last year, I still don't think you'll acknowledge it or give him credit. So until you start giving him some credit for his achievements and stop taking so much pleasure from seeing him do so poorly, you're not going to change my opinion that you want him to fail.

You're not alone in this by the way. There are quite a few on here who are the same.

I do 100% believe it mate. In my opinion you are either lying in the above post or you are in denial.

The reason I believe that is you are obsessed with the lad. You have never had one positive thing to say about him. Ever. You consistently poke fun at him and those on here who have supported him since his debut as a 19 yo. It's generally accepted by the majority on here that he has improved season on season, and most are of the opinion that he has now earned the opportunity to play with better midfielders to see if he can improve further.

Even when he was scoring goals last season you didn't praise or even acknowledge him. You simply went quiet for a while until he went through a few games without scoring, and then returned with glee to pronounce that it was just a purple patch as you had surmised, an opinion you have voiced numerous times since with alacrity.

It isn't the fact that you don't rate him Tel. There are lot's on here who have that view but are a lot more circumspect about how they portray it. TBH I'm still not convinced myself that he is going to become the striker we need if we are to challenge for CL. And even though I want him to excel this season, part of me wants Moise Kean to replace him as first choice because I think he has a higher ceiling.

But even if the lad gets 15-20 league goals this season, which isn't inconceivable given his tally last year, I still don't think you'll acknowledge it or give him credit. So until you start giving him some credit for his achievements and stop taking so much pleasure from seeing him do so poorly, you're not going to change my opinion that you want him to fail.

You're not alone in this by the way. There are quite a few on here who are the same.

Right ... I’m not sure how to respond tbh .
First I don’t really appreciate being called a liar
Second you say I have never said anything good about him... that’s not true so I could actually call you a liar if I wished .
I’m not obsessed with him, the abuse I get on here because I think it’s ridiculous that people mention him as a future drogba etc .. and don’t say they don’t because I read one a few posts ago about him “ having a drogba inside him” , the abuse for disagreeing isn’t really warranted but I got the same when I disagreed about Barkley being better than scholes , Gerard and Lampard at the same age . If you honestly think my life would be happier watching Everton be crap and me being able to say I told you so rather than Everton actually winning each week then you’re being an idiot . I’ve watched Everton be crap to mediocre for 90% of the time I have been a blue and I would much rather we were good. I have mentioned that he’s a terrific athlete but I also say that doesn’t really mean much if you can’t kick a football , And I didn’t “ go quiet for a while” when he was scoring , I kept my opinion as I didn’t want people to think exactly what you just said. So please in future try not to call me a liar and then post “facts” that are actually untrue as it’s a bit hypocritical

What we paid for him is utterly irrelevant. Our ambition given the money we've spent over years now should be to break into the top 6. Every player's ability/performance should be judged against that, not what we paid for them. He's either good enough for that, or he isn't. If he isn't performing at the required level, he is a problem and gets criticism, which should go for everyone. It's as simple and as fair as that. If we're not setting the top 6 as the minimum aim in the short-term, given our spending, we may as well not bother.

The "personal attack" tactic used to discourage criticism of a player's ability is unfortunately as predictable as it is boring. Why would anyone blame a player for being picked? Of course the club are to blame if they sign players that can't produce what the club's ambitions required. People generally don't blame any player for not being good enough as long as they're genuinely trying, which 99% of the time they are.

The fact that he's been a first choice striker has cost us a huge amount over the last few years and he only recently started paying back on that. Davies never did. If the last 4/5 years are the result of playing the "long game", then that tactic has been a disaster. If DCL does become a £50m striker, fantastic. But it won't erase the 3 years before that, where he was horrendous. I'd much rather he'd been out on loan developing while we had a competent striker in place. We wouldn't want to be hanging our hat on Branthwaite or Nkounkou as first choice for the same reason. There's every reason to expect they'd be nowhere near the level we need.

I didn’t say he was above criticism if he plays poorly or has a poor run of form. If he plays poorly then he’ll get criticism, same as everyone else. He hasn’t even played a game this season though and he’s just off the back of a break through season with a midfield creating very little in the way of chances.

We aren’t Man City we’re not going to sign a £60 million player finished product in each position. Judging him against that standard is skewing your expectation of him. That’s not how we’re going to break top 6, sometimes we’ll need to develop players, who’ll become good enough, DCL is one of those. That’s how i’m looking at him, is he showing potential (if current trajectory continues) to be good enough. For me, it’s a yes at the moment.

Based on last season, signs are he can develop into a top player. He has to improve again this season, if he does, he’ll not be far off the standard you’re talking about. If he doesn’t or takes a step backwards then we can take a look at it at the end of the season.

This thread is already outstanding even before our first games starting lineup has been announced!

Whatever happens from Dom, good, bad or indifferent the jury is still out and will be until at least mid-season realistically.

Lets all hope he’s improved again and is on double figures by the next transfer window!

I didn’t say he was above criticism if he plays poorly or has a poor run of form. If he plays poorly then he’ll get criticism, same as everyone else. He hasn’t even played a game this season though and he’s just off the back of a break through season with a midfield creating very little in the way of chances.

We aren’t Man City we’re not going to sign a £60 million player finished product in each position. Judging him against that standard is skewing your expectation of him. That’s not how we’re going to break top 6, sometimes we’ll need to develop players, who’ll become good enough, DCL is one of those. That’s how i’m looking at him, is he showing potential (if current trajectory continues) to be good enough. For me, it’s a yes at the moment.

Based on last season, signs are he can develop into a top player. He has to improve again this season, if he does, he’ll not be far off the standard you’re talking about. If he doesn’t or takes a step backwards then we can take a look at it at the end of the season.

I did tell you what my standard was and it was not whatever a £60m player is. I said we're trying to break into the top 6. With that standard in mind, he's going to get criticism if he, for example, goes the entire post-lockdown period without scoring last season. That's obviously not going to cut it. How many strikers in the PL managed that, with anything remotely close to his minutes? It was exceptionally bad.

Personally I'm not interested in "signs" and neither are the club or anyone else in the top half of the premier league. We can't look back at the end of another failure season and say "Ah well, he only cost £1.5m", or "he only cost £60k". We've spent hundreds of millions, have a top 6 wage bill and haven't been in europe for years. We needed results last season, never mind next season. Anyone who doesn't meet the required standards obviously will come in for criticism.

He had a four month spell in the middle of last season when his all around game improved. Criticism of his finishing ability is justified though.

I'd like to think that with the appointment of Ancelotti and the transfer dealings so far that we are a club going places.

I believe come the end of this transfer window we'll have exciting attacking options and that DCL will start the season as our central striker. So it'll be up to him to find further improvement to match those around him and new expectation of the club. If he doesn't I've no doubt we'll find someone else for the role next season. I wish him well, good form for him will mean good things for us.

I hope he becomes world class, the same goes for Davies and Kenny, just can't see it.
Davies will never be world class, prob struggle to be Top half premier league class. Kenny and DCL have every chance of becoming england internationals.

Status
Not open for further replies.