2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happens every 15-20 games mate ... he scores or we win or he produces and everyone says “ always rates him “ or “ where are the haters now” . Look in this thread after the midweek game and for weeks before , he’s been playing gash and everyone has been slaying him. Scoring a slide tackle and an eight years one on one doesn’t make me forget that his brace takes him to 4 goals in the last 21 home games he’s played , or that he misses sitters against the likes of villa , Fulham etc at important parts of the game which we end up losing.

I know. I've always been a fan. Haters gonna hate and all that!

Im really looking forward to a 2-up front with Kean as well, should suit them both excellently.
Defiantly I can see goals in all our out and out strikers in a two.
Up top on your own is really for the seasoned professional who has been round the block, who is going to play attacking mids into goal chances. The writing is on the wall for Gifly...

That's a few times hes played well against a better side, the problem is he needs to show that against the crap teams!

He doesn't get the same space against poor teams, which shows up his pretty average technique when the ball's played to feet with three defenders round him. So he'll likely be in a shoe in for starts against United, Arsenal and City, but maybe not for Newcastle and Burnley

Of course they’re going to talk good about him .. he’s just scored two goals . Was he creaming his cacks for the other 70 odd games he’s been gash and missing sitters? Pep said he was good too... why doesn’t pep sign him? Why hasn’t anyone ever bid for him? It’s just shearer talking to fill up minutes and he’s rightfully talking about lewin because he scored two goals
Just WOW
Blind unjustified hatred is a rare and ugly thing to see .is it because he has a double barrelled name ? I notice you don’t use it and don’t bother to capitalise the Lewin part either.
Odd

He played as she should have been played all these games, mixing it with defenders and getting in front of goal. WEell done to him.

In MOTD shearer was full of praise for him.

Just WOW
Blind unjustified hatred is a rare and ugly thing to see .is it because he has a double barrelled name ? I notice you don’t use it and don’t bother to capitalise the Lewin part either.
Odd

Lol
So because shearer talks about him on motd that means he’s good?

He's a difficult one. I understand both sides of the argument with him. He's not the most natural finisher, particularly with his feet (he actually finishes opportunities will with his head) and he isn't the most natural in his movements. When he attacks the ball, either from crosses, or when he is put in on goal, he isn't the most natural at either. He's actually improved a lot at both, but if you look at Richarlinson, he is very natural at making runs off the ball and getting on the end of crosses, and the gap is noticeable.

That being said he does lots of things well. I've always maintained he could be a bit of a hybrid of Duncan Ferguson and Marcus Bent.Given his size, he's the most dominant aerial forward we've had since Duncan and works the channels similarly to Bent (though this has reduced a little in his game).

My frustration with him, is his performances against the bottom 13/14 teams are generally speaking not good. He gave Chelsea nightmares yesterday. He created opportunities for himself where he had absolutely no right too, bullying their centre halves. This is common with what he's done against Manchester City and last season against United, Arsenal and Chelsea. However too often he is anonymous against poorer teams.

The theory has been posited on here that it's because they sit deeper. Their may be some truth in that, and his more crude movements off the ball may not be subtle enough to benefit with a side sitting deeper. I'd still like to see the same aggression from him though and I do think that's missing. He has to think he needs to go to war every time he plays. It's funny that Andy Grey said hegave a similar ethos to Sharp when he arrived. You have to want to go to war to be successful.

The goals yesterday were excellent really. I want him doing that more, getting scruffy goals between the posts. He should get a lot more of them. And against poorer teams who sit deeper he has to keep getting himself into those positions and be a little more dominant/aggressive.

For a 22 year old, there's still a lot to work with though. As I said a few pages back, I saw Tammy Abrahams who they are all raving over, and outside of his goal contribution I think he offers very little. He's had a purple patch this season, but at the top level his goal return is not massively different to Calvert Lewin. Likewise you take Rashford's penalties out and it's much the same for him.

As a final aside to me he really benefitted having a player up with him. So I was glad to see Ferguson going 2 up top. Whoever the next manager is, you hope Ferguson can have more of a role in helping the forwards.

His best performance , he was superb yesterday , I can only assume that's how he plays in training, first name on the team sheet for the next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.