2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played ok and made a nuisance of himself but his performance was ruined for me by missing a couple of easy chances which any striker should be scoring all day long and then stealing a goal from Coleman in desperation to get on the score sheet. I am fine with poaching goals but not from your own team mate which could have actually ended up with the goal being disallowed had he been deemed off-side.

Got the impression from the radio that he had given the city defence a torrid time all match, "he's run them ragged" was the phrase used. Think he's doing a good job in a difficult situation, needs Silva to change to two up top.

Radio was right. He's actually pretty decent and now he's starting to score he is alleviating my only issue with him.
I'm fairly sure the haters are actually lovers just trying to distract the opposition so he can take them by surprise.

Radio was right. He's actually pretty decent and now he's starting to score he is alleviating my only issue with him.
I'm fairly sure the haters are actually lovers just trying to distract the opposition so he can take them by surprise.

You just ignoring the 2 chances he missed which resulted in us getting no points from the game?

Got the impression from the radio that he had given the city defence a torrid time all match, "he's run them ragged" was the phrase used. Think he's doing a good job in a difficult situation, needs Silva to change to two up top.

Teemu peeki ran them ragged a few weeks ago. I think the term ran them ragged can be misleading playing against otamendi. We've had players like denis stracqualursi in the past who will run and chase all day long. Can always find a player like that.
He nicked a goal that was going in. And rightly so. Any forward should.
But the chances he had when it really mattered he fluffed. Thats the point and the whole point and sadly will possibly always be.
This calvert lewin thread is becoming a bit silly now. Its really fine to say hes not the answer to our front line. Because he's not. He's ok. If ok is where you want to draw the line.

If he had not touched the ball yesterday it would still have been a goal albeit credited to Coleman, so for me that does not asa him being our top striker.

He played ok and made a nuisance of himself but his performance was ruined for me by missing a couple of easy chances which any striker should be scoring all day long and then stealing a goal from Coleman in desperation to get on the score sheet. I am fine with poaching goals but not from your own team mate which could have actually ended up with the goal being disallowed had he been deemed off-side.
His performance was ruined for me by not being ruthless the way a striker should, and then by him being ruthless the way a striker should.

He worked the City defence hard for sure, and although it was an act of theft, he scored so he deserves props there.

He missed two seriously good chances in the second half though that again showed up his major flaw that he just isn't clinical enough. I thought his hold up play was generally poor.

...decent performance yesterday. I’m convinced he’s currently our most effective striker, it’s up to Kean to change that situation by grasping opportunities when they arise.

DCL is fine and will always be useful to call upon, but we really need better in that key position if we are to progress.

I don’t think the comments about DCL have changed in 2 years have they? At some point the line needs to be drawn, he is either a 3rd choice striker and be happy with him as such or time he and the team moves on. He has enough about him, and time is on his side to make it elsewhere and be the striker he wants, but we don’t have that time to dedicate to him, sell or loan him. Hope Niasse goes, keep DCL or Tuson as 3rd choice keep Kean and buy a top striker somehow. Or just have 2; Kean and a new striker we only play with one up top and have a few others that can fill in if they are injured – 3 if in Europe though.

It's hard to really judge when your at the game but did he miss an open goal from like 3 yards out from a ederson save?

Tgat and the one he tried to dink over ederson, he just isn't good enough, can bang on about he scored but he robbed someone's goal anyway

Norwich had lea chances to beat city than we did but they have a decent striker

It's hard to really judge when your at the game but did he miss an open goal from like 3 yards out from a ederson save?

Tgat and the one he tried to dink over ederson, he just isn't good enough, can bang on about he scored but he robbed someone's goal anyway

Norwich had lea chances to beat city than we did but they have a decent striker

Tbf I think that chance after the ederson save wasn’t an easy one. It came at him fast and away from his body (you could argue that he was coming in at the wrong angle as any save would be pushed out to the left side.)

Amazed this thread is so long.

Its quite simple. Other than a few demented evertonians everyone who has ever watched DCL know what level he is.

Hes a hard working athletic forward with no natural goal scoring instincts. His running off the ball is decent. He doesnt hold the ball up well for a big man
and his heading is average. He is a championship class forward worth about 10-15 mill.

He should be 4/5th choice forward at a club hoping to get into the top 6.

What else is there to discuss,

Status
Not open for further replies.