2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think that he had a strong enough work ethic to ever become a regular in the Premier League, but he's been a real handful recently.

I still expect him to drop down the league a little bit in order to become an undisputed first-choice somewhere, though.

He’s scored 6 goals in 31 games this season and I’m reading that he has a higher ceiling than Harry Kane. Our fans are proper weird.

I'm sure if you were looking to make a case for him you would state that he's only played 1433 minutes which is the equivalent of 16 games.....

Based on a full season of playing 90 minutes it equates to 15 goals. Hopefully that's put some perspective on it for you. His finishing will improve so a 15 goal a season striker with his other footballing attributes is a good start for me....

Personally I think his ceiling is higher than both of them.

Kane is a fantastic goalscorer but I think DCL has more to his game. DCL is far more athletic and when he fills out will bully the hell out of defenders.

That's not quite as off the wall as it seems...I think youre making a reasonable assessment. No one can really tell, yet, but DCL is definitely beginning to make his mark.He is still spending a lot of time on the wings, were he is a useful out ball,and if he stayed in and around the box he might well score more goals. His heading ability is certainly up there with Kane, and he is certainly more mobile. One downside I've always felt about Kane,particularly with England, and with Spurs when Son plays, is that his game drifts into that of a second striker. He leaves Sterling to be the main man for England, and Son is the most chance conscious in the Spurs team. DCL has the basic attributes of each, and therefore has a chance to be better than them.

That's not quite as off the wall as it seems...I think youre making a reasonable assessment. No one can really tell, yet, but DCL is definitely beginning to make his mark.He is still spending a lot of time on the wings, were he is a useful out ball,and if he stayed in and around the box he might well score more goals. His heading ability is certainly up there with Kane, and he is certainly more mobile. One downside I've always felt about Kane,particularly with England, and with Spurs when Son plays, is that his game drifts into that of a second striker. He leaves Sterling to be the main man for England, and Son is the most chance conscious in the Spurs team. DCL has the basic attributes of each, and therefore has a chance to be better than them.
I just don’t see it.

By the same age, Kane had already had a 20 goal season. And has followed that up by getting better and better each year.

I think DCL is a good player but he’s a long way off that. And I think it’s a stretch to say he’s even got a chance of being *better*.

Bit bizarre that fans are judging him on his goals.... take him out the side and watch someone else do that lone striker role...... our upturn in form has coincided with him leading the line.

He gives our attacking players so much more freedom.

I'm a massive fan and believe he can be a mainstay. But at the end of the day, strikers do need goals.

I just don’t see it.

By the same age, Kane had already had a 20 goal season. And has followed that up by getting better and better each year.

I think DCL is a good player but he’s a long way off that. And I think it’s a stretch to say he’s even got a chance of being *better*.

I respect your opinion, mate. The beauty of all this is that we all get an opportunity to see how it goes. This is one of the joys of football...you never can tell. I think we'll know about DCL inside the next 18 months or so.Most major goalscorers have some weakness in their game. Sometimes, Lukaku was not the most mobile, and many of the other are simply 'sniffers' or fox in the box types. A physically strong, skilful player who also scores goals is a rarity,but the possibilities are there with DCL.

Status
Not open for further replies.