2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the target man that can also finish, and I also think Richarlison and, hopefully, Lozano, can both bring that different option that we need.

I'II bet Dzeko, despite being 32, will still want to play every game though
Lozano is not a CF. Richarlison has some ability to hold the ball as he has some physical strength. He's also okay in the air. Chucky has neither.

I was getting at the fact he’s 32 he probably wouldn’t be playing every game due to fitness because of jobs age . I know it’s only two games but richy looks wasted up there, he’s doing ok in terms of work rate , effort and has got a goal, but, he doesn’t pass the ball, receives it with his back to goal and tries turning and dribbling and doing everything himself . He’s much more effective receiving the ball facing goal with space in front of him, 1 on 1 with his marker .
Thought he was good against Leicester and also gave us the option of getting Bernard on the pitch in his best position.

Thought he was good against Leicester and also gave us the option of getting Bernard on the pitch in his best position.

I agree that it lets us get Bernard on the pitch at LM and he may be our best option until January, that will give us a bit of time to judge weather or not he is suitable to be our CF. If not we must try and recruit the best striker we can and then have the “nice problem” of having to many quality players for the positions behind the new striker

These days you're either world class or not good enough it seems. And to some there is no possibility of ever getting better with, you know, actual experience.

This is how it seems at times. If you aren't good enough to be starting for City then you are championship or League one standard according to a lot of 'fans'. People can't seem to recognise that being a good premier league standard player doesn't necessarily mean you are world class.

I agree that it lets us get Bernard on the pitch at LM and he may be our best option until January, that will give us a bit of time to judge weather or not he is suitable to be our CF. If not we must try and recruit the best striker we can and then have the “nice problem” of having to many quality players for the positions behind the new striker
Tel I'm not saying that he should be our first choice centre forward. What I'm saying is that he can and should be utilised in that position in certain games where he'll be able to play on the shoulder and have space to run into. Leicester couldn't handle him and Morgan could arguably have been sent off before he was. But he's not so good with his back to goal and last Sunday was a waste of his talent IMO.

When we play at home or against teams that defend deep leaving very little space, we should start with Tosun. He's a good player, but I agree I don't think he's good enough to help us break into top 6. So we need somebody to lead the line, link up play and, most importantly, slot most opportunities that come his way. There are very few who offer this who also are able to play on the shoulder. These are the very top strikers and wouldn't come here. A younger version of Giroud or Dzeko would be ideal.

That would enable us to have DCL as third choice. To continue his development from the bench and starting the occasional game through injury. If our main striker get's a serious injury and is out long term, then if DCL still isn't up to the task then we need to bring somebody in during the next transfer window. If DCL doesn't continue to develop within the next 2/3 years then we need to sell him on. He'll be 24 by that stage and could probably have a decent career at a club not competing for CL qualification. Plus we'll need that position as 3rd choice striker to bed in the next appropriate young player, hopefully from our own academy if there is somebody good enough, but if not brought in from elsewhere.

I know you don't rate the lad and he does have a lot to learn and improve before he's good enough to start regularly for us. But for his age, there's probably only Rashford who's ahead of him as a young English striker, and maybe only a dozen or so around the world. If he can develop into one of the top 12 strikers in the world then it's worth while keeping hold of. Not saying he will, but he's with the right manager in Silva so he has a fighting chance.

Tel I'm not saying that he should be our first choice centre forward. What I'm saying is that he can and should be utilised in that position in certain games where he'll be able to play on the shoulder and have space to run into. Leicester couldn't handle him and Morgan could arguably have been sent off before he was. But he's not so good with his back to goal and last Sunday was a waste of his talent IMO.

When we play at home or against teams that defend deep leaving very little space, we should start with Tosun. He's a good player, but I agree I don't think he's good enough to help us break into top 6. So we need somebody to lead the line, link up play and, most importantly, slot most opportunities that come his way. There are very few who offer this who also are able to play on the shoulder. These are the very top strikers and wouldn't come here. A younger version of Giroud or Dzeko would be ideal.

That would enable us to have DCL as third choice. To continue his development from the bench and starting the occasional game through injury. If our main striker get's a serious injury and is out long term, then if DCL still isn't up to the task then we need to bring somebody in during the next transfer window. If DCL doesn't continue to develop within the next 2/3 years then we need to sell him on. He'll be 24 by that stage and could probably have a decent career at a club not competing for CL qualification. Plus we'll need that position as 3rd choice striker to bed in the next appropriate young player, hopefully from our own academy if there is somebody good enough, but if not brought in from elsewhere.

I know you don't rate the lad and he does have a lot to learn and improve before he's good enough to start regularly for us. But for his age, there's probably only Rashford who's ahead of him as a young English striker, and maybe only a dozen or so around the world. If he can develop into one of the top 12 strikers in the world then it's worth while keeping hold of. Not saying he will, but he's with the right manager in Silva so he has a fighting chance.

Good summing up.

The hype that Solanke and Abraham get, yet they are nowhere near the quality of DCL.
There are not many top drawer young strikers about, certainly not doing it on a regular basis in the top leagues.

Really? I mean, really?
Really.

There may be some younger high profile players who people believe have higher potential, but most of these haven't played at anywhere near the level DCL is playing in week in week out. There are very few strikers 21 or younger who regularly play in one of the top leagues. Only Rashford and Jesus in the premier league. He also won a world cup and scored the winner in the final. He's also first choice for England U21s, one of the highest ranked U21 teams in world football.

Remember, I'm comparing him with other strikers around the world within his own age group. I'm pretty sure you're judging him against other premier league strikers

Lozano is not a CF. Richarlison has some ability to hold the ball as he has some physical strength. He's also okay in the air. Chucky has neither.
I'm not suggesting he play a traditional centre forward role, which you would have seen if you read the previous posts I'd exchanged with him. We were talking about certain games away from home when there will be an opportunity to counter. Either Richarlison or Lozano, or even Walcott, would be ideal in that role. Lozano especially because he is pacier and looks very calm in 1 on 1 situations.

The most important attribute for a striker is being able to finish your chances. Calvert-Lewin has never looked like a natural finisher but thankfully it appears that he’s improving on it as he’s got a very decent goal return for the amount of minutes he’s had this season. He’s also never had a problem getting into the positions to score, which is very promising.

Physically he has got it, he’s quick, strong and has a brilliant leap on him and technically he is decent and probably a little underrated, his first touch isn’t bad and his hold up play is improving. He’s gets a surprising amount of stick but I’m sure that’ll change if we keep on improving and he continues to pop up with goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.