Do we have a problem breaking teams down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think about 75% of that list would improve us.

Donovan is a good player, but again, I wouldn't see him as the player we'd give the ball when faced with a solid back line around the area. What you need is someone who is too skilful for the [Poor language removed] defenders in the lower teams to deal with, most of the top teams have at least one player like that.

Fair enough mate, get where you're coming from. Maybe it's just naivety or wishful thinking on my behalf but I think Coleman is a better option that most of them, and Donovan would squeeze high up in that list.

This Bolton team just beat Spurs 4-2.

Jesus H Christ. Perspective please.

Perspective : 23 shots, 57% possession, at home unbeaten in 6. If you're happy to settle for a draw because of what a team did last week and not last night then that's your prerogative mate. While I accept it happened and won't jump on the Moyes Out bandwagon because he is overall doing a good job, I won't accept that anyone is beyond criticism.

So frustrating to see this. A lot of our goals this year have come from when someone has had the guts to shoot at goal from a bit of distance. Wish we would be a bit more courageous in this regard instead of trying to play like Arsenal and trying to tap it into the goal the entire match. Last two games should have been six points, really.

The teams have massively improved this season. Before, we used to say that against the so called to 4, you need to take your chances or they will punish you. This season, you can't even take Blackpool,West Brom lightly at home. Bolton are better then those and we got punished for not taking the chances.

11 goals in total...that's how worrying it is

I agree it's the best solution for now, but that doesn't change the fact that even with him we have struggled to break teams down. At the moment he is the player we give the ball to when we're camped on the edge of the area and someone needs to do something.

I'll go through the league and list the players we should buy, discounting the top 3.

A. Johnson
Ben Arfa
M. Petrov
Bale or Lennon (either will do!)
Richardson
J. Cole
A. Young
Brunt
EH Diouf
Varney
Duff
Etherington
Larsson
N'Zogbia
Jarvis
Obinna

I will add young Matt Phillips from Blackpool in that list as well. He has looked very impressive every time I've seen him play. Has the ability to run past players like they're not even there. Scored a couple of goals with the Engerland u19's and scored a cracker in the Prem against Blackburn. Much cheaper than those mentioned above but definitely better than most.

We have the players, they are just not given a decent chance and have to give way to old men like Saha living on past feats who is clearly past his best.

This Bolton team just beat Spurs 4-2.

Jesus H Christ. Perspective please.
Whats that got to do with anything we should be beating bolton at home.
You may be happy with a draw but these are games we should be winning.
By the way exeter beat brentford the other week so that means they will beat us eh

At the end of the day teams know that we can't score from outside the 18-yard area so they're happy to sit tight and double up on our main routes to goal, the wings. There were numerous times against Bolton where we had half a chance to get a strike on goal (the glaring one was Arteta where he faked to shoot and passed instead) but didn't. It's definitely a confidence thing with the players and I'm guessing Moyes invests alot of time training in small grids without goals.

If we are going to play in this style should Cahill be replaced with a more technical gifted player with more ability and vision on the ball?

How many assists does he provide the team? Not many i would guess compared to other attacking players.

Of course we know what he brings to the table, and sure you can say he is our top goalscorer this season so to take him out of the team is madness.

But would other players be struggling for goals as much if we had a more suitable player to our current style than Tim?

Take Billy for instance. (I wish someone would I hear you cry) but he undoubtedly has great ability with ball at his feet and can pick out a good pass, many people on here have said he should get a go at playing central behind the striker, in other words Cahill's position. Would he of been able to find those killer passes or long range shots which made the goals we needed to turn our possession and dominance into goals?

Is he our worst midfield player when it comes to a smooth passing game? Or is what he lacks in that department made up for by what else he brings to the team?

Agreed mate. With the Cahill thing we need to look at it, obviously there is a space for him as he's on the whole ace and scores loads of important goals. I mentioned yesterday that he's not what we need when we have the opposition camped in their own half though, then we could do with the extra forward to make the space or provide another option.

On the tougher games then he's suited to them, but he needs to adapt to our system not us to him.

* This isn't a Cahill thread out, he's still my bestest x

Status
Not open for further replies.