Do u23 side need to exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teams in Spain and Germany just loan them to their B team, who are in the league below. They then win that league but don’t get promoted, and ruin the competition for everyone else.

U23’s teams are vital. There’s a reason they exist ffs.

A ‘B’ team system in the Lower Leagues would be much more beneficial to Clubs & Players but there would be too much opposition from the lower league Clubs.

A ‘B’ team system in the Lower Leagues would be much more beneficial to Clubs & Players but there would be too much opposition from the lower league Clubs.

And rightly so. Imagine supporting your local team for decades just to have City's mega-money reserves roll in to town and spank them 5-0.

....the argument is more about changing the format of that level of football. Old blokes like me will clearly remember the old ‘Central League’, where reserve teams played. Reserve teams had no age restriction so they included the senior professionals who couldn’t get a game in the first team. At one stage, the reserves and first team both played on a Saturday but the introduction of more than one substitute makes that unfeasible.

The problem with Reserve football was that it often blocked the path of promising youngsters coming through. That’s the main reason why the authorities changed the system to age restricted competition. The problem with U23s is that it’s not very competitive and players are often in a comfort zone. In recent seasons our successful U23s have played in a European competition against teams who compete in open age football and we’ve performed poorly.

My preference is the Reserve team system. The best youngsters will still come through and they not only learn from senior professional they are playing with, they also learn from those they are playing against.

I think there is a place for u23 teams, but I think it would be good if it were possible for Premier league teams to set up a partnership with lower league teams and send up to 10 young players per season to them. I think at the moment one of the issues is that premier league teams are charging championship teams £500k to loan a player for the season, so its putting teams off loaning our players. Obviously the danger for us is we send them a player for nothing and they don't play, so they may as well have stayed in the u23 squad. I think it should be a deal where the more they play on loan, the less the loan club pays to the parent club, to incentivize the loan club to play the player

Reserve football - limit the number of overage players to 4 or 5 on the pitch at any time. Should be a good enough standard.

Keep the 2 league format of the u23s though, plus the youth fa cup. Think that should be acceptable.

Teams in Spain and Germany just loan them to their B team, who are in the league below. They then win that league but don’t get promoted, and ruin the competition for everyone else.

U23’s teams are vital. There's a reason they exist ffs.
Of course there is - where will we get our next caretaker manager from when Sam gets the push eh...tell me that, where.

What Chelsea are doing seems nuts to me to be honest, having about 20 players on loan each year. And then these players don't seem to end up breaking into the first team anyway, they just buy more first team ready players.
Chelsea don't do it to develop players they do it purely as speculation for profit. Helps balance their books for FFP.

Reserve football - limit the number of overage players to 4 or 5 on the pitch at any time. Should be a good enough standard.

Keep the 2 league format of the u23s though, plus the youth fa cup. Think that should be acceptable.

That's not massively different to the rules for PL2.
You can field up to three overage outfield players plus a keeper

We would be better off binning the 1st team for all the success they have had since '95. Bah humbug!

It's improved alot with Premier League 2 and the youth side playing in the check a trade.

Ridiculous to think of loaning out your entire youth set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.