Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Kind of linked to mental health despite it being a physical pain. But does anyone here have trigeminal neuralgia?( In my case it's caused by a blood vessel pressing against the trigeminal nerve) I've only recently been diagnosed with it despite having it for several years at varying degrees of frequency and pain. It's been particularly bad the past few months and I had convinced myself I had various life treating diseases. Been round the houses with GP and dentist and was getting nowhere (NHS referrals taking months if not years, thanks tories) so stumped up the money to go private and an MRI scan.

Any recommendations on how to cope with it? Medication that's worked? Meditation? I've started on tablets but apparently their effectiveness wanes over time.
My late father suffered from intermittent bouts of neuralgia, not sure if that is the same as your condition though. He found that placing a warm pad on his jaw helped with the pain. I’m sure someone will be along on here soon who can be of more help. Really hope you are able to get some relief. Best wishes.?

I have just started taking Mirtazapine and feel really, really low. Has anyone else taken this drug and is this side effect normal?
I have been suffering from really bad anxiety and this feels like the total opposite.

I have just started taking Mirtazapine and feel really, really low. Has anyone else taken this drug and is this side effect normal?
I have been suffering from really bad anxiety and this feels like the total opposite.
Your Dr would have prescribed Mirtazapine after taking into many considerations, your general health, lifestyle, side effects to the medication etc. That's why there are so many different types of anti depressants. You need to give your medication 4-5 weeks to see the " therapeutic " benefits. If by then, there are no positive effects, go back for a chat with your GP.

Some anti depressants oddly can cause the user to feel more suicidal. For the benefit of everyone reading this post, the reasons anti depressant use des have " risks ", is this. Someone may not even have the motivation to act on their distressing thoughts - suicidal - they become so down they just want to hide away and sleep a lot. The danger comes is when they take the anti depressant, it lifts their mood, but, lifts their mood to the extent that they now have the motivation " drive " to take action on their suicidal ideation.

Hope that helps Noble, take care.

Your Dr would have prescribed Mirtazapine after taking into many considerations, your general health, lifestyle, side effects to the medication etc. That's why there are so many different types of anti depressants. You need to give your medication 4-5 weeks to see the " therapeutic " benefits. If by then, there are no positive effects, go back for a chat with your GP.

Some anti depressants oddly can cause the user to feel more suicidal. For the benefit of everyone reading this post, the reasons anti depressant use des have " risks ", is this. Someone may not even have the motivation to act on their distressing thoughts - suicidal - they become so down they just want to hide away and sleep a lot. The danger comes is when they take the anti depressant, it lifts their mood, but, lifts their mood to the extent that they now have the motivation " drive " to take action on their suicidal ideation.

Hope that helps Noble, take care.
Thank you, thank you so much for response. I was just worried that this time last week, I was erraticly running about and continuously on edge. This morning, I've just been feeling so down and tired. Totally different feeling.
Your reply has really helped. Thank you.

I just find it weird that there really isn't anything besides benzos to help with anxiety and that has a massive massive issue in and of itself. I know anxiety and depression are 2 sides of the same coin but there HAS to be a better way of treating it than anti-depressants. Especially with the huge increase in it with COVID and all.

I just find it weird that there really isn't anything besides benzos to help with anxiety and that has a massive massive issue in and of itself. I know anxiety and depression are 2 sides of the same coin but there HAS to be a better way of treating it than anti-depressants. Especially with the huge increase in it with COVID and all.

Unfortunately, nothing treats anxiety like Benzos, as they just make anxiety melt away, however, they are horrendously addictive.

If they could find a way, to produce a non addictive Benzo, they`d have cracked it.

How are you all? Enjoying your heatwave over there as we go through mid Winter down here? Get out and about...enjoy.
Would love to enjoy the heatwave but I’m just not built for hot weather, it’s so draining. Am getting out but early in the morning and making the most of the longer evenings by going for walks after 8pm. Sleeping is a b****r at the best of times but in this heat…. Hope everyone is okay and not suffering too much from the summer blues or winter blues, at least we don’t have the Everton blueslol