Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I dont post here very often anymore, but i've noticed a lot of comments on the web about "struggling with lockdown" and the jarring bits are a lot of what i percieve as normal people struggling with is the 'baseline' of what depression feels like for some people (me included)

this one stuck out to me

Please, once some normality returns be kind to those who live this kind of 'lockdown' lifestyle without choice much like you're being asked to do now, people sadly live this lifestyle without choice. Reach out, try and be kind, some people didn't choose this way and this awful lockdown is making everyone see how down it can make you.
This is so true. I think everybody is finding it hard. The novelty of Zoom meetings and virtual pub quizzes has worn off. We miss human contact. If "normal" people are feeling stressed/anxious then other people who already have anxiety or depression will be feeling it more. I've been trying to check up on some of my members who I know have mental health issues to make sure they are alright.Nothing too intrusive just a quick Skype message or email.

Hows everyone coping with the mental side of things with this lockdown. Getting cabin fever at times myself. I keep eating little snacks aswell all day with boredom I don’t even be hungry come dinner time. I play plenty of ps4 but feel like crap sometimes throughout the day.

Hows everyone coping with the mental side of things with this lockdown. Getting cabin fever at times myself. I keep eating little snacks aswell all day with boredom I don’t even be hungry come dinner time. I play plenty of ps4 but feel like crap sometimes throughout the day.
I'm glad that I'm able to work from home, If I wasn't working I'd be completely stir crazy by now and the size of a small hippo. I do miss the act of going to work. I miss the general comings and goings in my workplace and the everyday interactions. As it is, although I talk to my team mates on a daily basis, I still feel like I'm doing a very long exam.

I found the first bit tough but more to do with worry about work etc.

That's died down now - there's still worry obviously but it is what it is. I could be worse off and I'm not ill and none of my family are (touch wood it stays that way).

Exercise has helped and I'm managing to fill my day.

That being said, I am feeling a bit like a moody teenager at times. I'm fluctuating between being perfectly sound and then just being in a rotten mood. I think it's the repetition more than anything - just feels like groundhog day. Sure it'll pass.

Is there any way you can get out of the house for an extended period (obviously keeping to the rules) - even just for a slightly longer walk than usual? Anything to just add a bit of difference into the routine? Maybe spend an hour just listening to an album or podcast or something? Just something a bit different to usual.

I found the first bit tough but more to do with worry about work etc.

That's died down now - there's still worry obviously but it is what it is. I could be worse off and I'm not ill and none of my family are (touch wood it stays that way).

Exercise has helped and I'm managing to fill my day.

That being said, I am feeling a bit like a moody teenager at times. I'm fluctuating between being perfectly sound and then just being in a rotten mood. I think it's the repetition more than anything - just feels like groundhog day. Sure it'll pass.

Is there any way you can get out of the house for an extended period (obviously keeping to the rules) - even just for a slightly longer walk than usual? Anything to just add a bit of difference into the routine? Maybe spend an hour just listening to an album or podcast or something? Just something a bit different to usual.

yeah I went for 3 walks today with the new spaniel. I keep telling myself to start jogging but don’t get to doing it. I’ve plenty of entertainment play a bit of guitar etc and mad into my gaming. I ordered a book I wanna read ages ago it hasn’t come out there’s this guilt that comes with all this leisure and entertainment. I shouldn’t feel guilty cause it’s not my fault but anyway I’m doing ok I know there’s much worse people in worse situations..

Ye I’m getting the Groundhog Day. Feel like should talk to the mrs more but run out of things talk about. Sure it’s just the human condition we’re never happy I’ll be complaining about the job when I’m back and that’ll be longer than this just learn to try enjoy it.

Nothinng big, just want to vent

Im tired of being inside. I had knee surgery in October(a pretty big one, its a year+ recover). I can't go on walks in nature, I can't go on bike rides, nothing. It's really taking a toll on me honestly. My wife is in a funk also but more because of her job. We're trying to keep each other as "up" as you can. The "anniversary" of my mothers day/birthday/death is all within a month and I have nothing really to distract myself from it.

The lack of normalcy really hurts.

Nothinng big, just want to vent

Im tired of being inside. I had knee surgery in October(a pretty big one, its a year+ recover). I can't go on walks in nature, I can't go on bike rides, nothing. It's really taking a toll on me honestly. My wife is in a funk also but more because of her job. We're trying to keep each other as "up" as you can. The "anniversary" of my mothers day/birthday/death is all within a month and I have nothing really to distract myself from it.

The lack of normalcy really hurts.

Ordinarily, what would make you happy?

yeah I went for 3 walks today with the new spaniel. I keep telling myself to start jogging but don’t get to doing it. I’ve plenty of entertainment play a bit of guitar etc and mad into my gaming. I ordered a book I wanna read ages ago it hasn’t come out there’s this guilt that comes with all this leisure and entertainment. I shouldn’t feel guilty cause it’s not my fault but anyway I’m doing ok I know there’s much worse people in worse situations..

Ye I’m getting the Groundhog Day. Feel like should talk to the mrs more but run out of things talk about. Sure it’s just the human condition we’re never happy I’ll be complaining about the job when I’m back and that’ll be longer than this just learn to try enjoy it.

Yeh I wouldn't feel guilty mate. It's hard cause I do sometimes feel like I'm not being productive but then if I get 90 mins in on the bike and do a circuit or whatever, then I can focus on that and I set myself targets etc to get to.

Play guitar too so that helps whittle away the hours just noodling, haha.

I'd prefer to be in the office but even when lockdown measures are lifted, I'm restricted to using the train and it looks like that isn't going to be possible in practical terms at least until the new year, unless some extraordinary system is worked out to maintain social distancing. Staggered hours are only a limited option.

Working from home has largely gone fine although I find I'm constantly on-edge fearing my broadband/phone will go on the blink and I need to be available for outbound/inbound contact throughout the day, just as in the office.

I think I will be able to manage at home but it depends on what pressure there is to be back in the office, when the lockdown is eased.

It's unsettling. I really don't manage well outside of my comfort zone, even when that zone has been very stressful and demanding it itself for the last 20 years.

C-section for my gf next Thursday, it's finally happen this time.

The baby is in a breach position which caused a bit of stress and they couldn't move it. Gf bit more relaxed about a c-section now though, not that natural births are straight forward.

I'm allowed in the hospital for around 4-6 hours before she goes into the recovery birth place with the baby for a night or two before I pick her up. Obviously not idea but we were expecting much less than a few hours for me so got to take what I can.

Then we have the trouble of our famlies wanted to meet the baby through the window and me running around for weeks whilst she recovers from the surgery

Had no antenatal classes, watched some videos so hopefully that's at least something. Apparently a lot comes naturally.

All worth it in the long run, I guess lol

The baby is in a breach position which caused a bit of stress and they couldn't move it. Gf bit more relaxed about a c-section now though, not that natural births are straight forward.

I'm allowed in the hospital for around 4-6 hours before she goes into the recovery birth place with the baby for a night or two before I pick her up. Obviously not idea but we were expecting much less than a few hours for me so got to take what I can.

Then we have the trouble of our famlies wanted to meet the baby through the window and me running around for weeks whilst she recovers from the surgery

Had no antenatal classes, watched some videos so hopefully that's at least something. Apparently a lot comes naturally.

Oh how exciting! Wishing you both a calm and stress free delivery - or as near to it as you can get under the circumstances. Looking forward to hearing about the new arrival x

Good luck mate. Our second is due in ten weeks. If you have any new dad questions feel free to PM.