Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Not long back from a visit, and holy cow!

CT Scan was ok, a part collapsed lung, so no real problem mending that. They took her off sedation for some tests. She squeezed a nurses finger, opened her eyes, and biggest of all, responded to spoken commands. (lift a foot, move a hand like), which means they reckon no brain damage!!!!!!

And then, she squeezed my finger, like a baby does.

2 days ago she was given 20 minutes to live. Someone somewhere has listened to a lot of prayers, and backed a right tough nut.

Still critical, but hope is brighter today.
That's really good to hear. X

Indeed. Medics know a lot, but they dont know everything. No one does. Your old man is testament to that.

Not throwing a Welcome Home party anytime soon, but on NYE I just wanted her alive. She is. And slowly improving.

And the messages of support have been a massive boost to me, both in public and plenty on PM. They are all very very appreciated. One day I will show them to Nikki. (Mrs R)
This is the best news mate, take it steady, we're all with you both.

She must have been going for a record, you have to give her some stick about that in future if she ever says you made her worry about something. :) I echo the praise you gave to the BRI, sounds like they have done you proud.

I've been in the BRI as both staff and patient and have always found the care beyond reproach.

I was glad to hear that's where she was because I've had nothing but positive experiences from there from a care perspective.

CT Scan was ok, a part collapsed lung, so no real problem mending that. They took her off sedation for some tests. She squeezed a nurses finger, opened her eyes, and biggest of all, responded to spoken commands. (lift a foot, move a hand like), which means they reckon no brain damage!!!!!!

2 days ago she was given 20 minutes to live. Someone somewhere has listened to a lot of prayers, and backed a right tough nut.

Honestly, that's very very encouraging...and Im speaking from experience of my Mum and brother being desperately ill, and me being a heart patient the last 25 years+. The medical people are all wonderful life savers, God Bless Them. But there's also phenomenal human strength and spirit that no one can account for which some people put down to the will to live. Your Wife is clearly a fighter and these early encouraging signs will hopefully increase her chances of a good recovery, God willing. We're all in your corner, Roydo.

I've been in the BRI as both staff and patient and have always found the care beyond reproach.

I was glad to hear that's where she was because I've had nothing but positive experiences from there from a care perspective.

Its pretty ace. The food aint bad neither. They fetched me a shepherds pie the other day cos they said I looked worn out!

Realised that Nikki being poorly has kinda dominated this thread, so soz about that. But the initial reason for her being in the ICU was sort of mental health related.

And it felt daft bumping the NYE thread.

I dont think I have posted in here other than to say its ace, etc etc, but the numerous posters who have and say just saying "something", then getting a boost from nice folk being nice I kinda get now.

Its pretty ace. The food aint bad neither. They fetched me a shepherds pie the other day cos they said I looked worn out!

Realised that Nikki being poorly has kinda dominated this thread, so soz about that. But the initial reason for her being in the ICU was sort of mental health related.

I dont think I have posted in here other than to say its ace, etc etc, but the numerous posters who have and say just saying "something", then getting a boost from nice folk being nice I kinda get now.

Fingers crossed for you both mate (and the last few pages have really reinforced just how amazing this thread is)

Last edited:
Indeed. Medics know a lot, but they dont know everything. No one does. Your old man is testament to that.

Not throwing a Welcome Home party anytime soon, but on NYE I just wanted her alive. She is. And slowly improving.

And the messages of support have been a massive boost to me, both in public and plenty on PM. They are all very very appreciated. One day I will show them to Nikki. (Mrs R)
Great to hear that she's on the road to recovery mate

Sending you and your missus every good wish mate, rooting for you both, as is everyone here.

Great news. Best wishes to you both.

Just read an interesting article in the Guardian about a 5 a side initiative in Wigan to help men with mental health issues. Just glad that awareness is growing. Would like to think there is a similar initiative going on in every area.