Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Firstly, this is not directed to any particular individual(s) nor am I suggesting anyone should follow my example - you should always discuss with your Health provider/GP in the first instance as I did.

Although I am in what I like to think is a relatively good place in my life I am still on 100mg Setraline as I still have a propensity for irrational thoughts which leads to me overthink and dwell on matters and which, in turn, can lead to episodes of anxiety. For me the Setraline appears to work well but it took me a while to figure out that - from a personal perspective - if I took half in the AM on waking and the other half in the early evening their efficacy upon my 'well being' is much more tolerable. A bit like a gradual and steady release - a sort of 'top up', I guess - instead of one main hit which is then expected to last a full 24 hours.

I had initial side effects of diarrhoea when I was taking the full 100 mg dosage in one go and it did take several weeks to settle so perseverance is the key. Any prescribed meds are not immediate one-hit wonders so it is imperative that once prescribed you persevere with them. They can - and will - work but it undoubtedly helps, as others have previously said, to rethink your life strategy by cutting out the crap i.e. start eating more healthy and lighter meals especially in the evening, reducing the booze, taking regular moderate exercise and, afterwards, a nice bath/shower and occasional early night with a good book (deffo not television). And before dropping off to sleep spend a few moments - working from the feet up - by tensing and releasing the various muscles in your legs, buttocks, arms, abdomen/chest, shoulders and even face. This helps to release the tension in your body. Pamper time I call it but it does work and leads to a more relaxing, deep and refreshing sleep.

Obviously, you still need to make time for friends and family but a much more 'together' you will mean a much more pleasant and companionable existence.

Firstly, this is not directed to any particular individual(s) nor am I suggesting anyone should follow my example - you should always discuss with your Health provider/GP in the first instance as I did.

Although I am in what I like to think is a relatively good place in my life I am still on 100mg Setraline as I still have a propensity for irrational thoughts which leads to me overthink and dwell on matters and which, in turn, can lead to episodes of anxiety. For me the Setraline appears to work well but it took me a while to figure out that - from a personal perspective - if I took half in the AM on waking and the other half in the early evening their efficacy upon my 'well being' is much more tolerable. A bit like a gradual and steady release - a sort of 'top up', I guess - instead of one main hit which is then expected to last a full 24 hours.

I had initial side effects of diarrhoea when I was taking the full 100 mg dosage in one go and it did take several weeks to settle so perseverance is the key. Any prescribed meds are not immediate one-hit wonders so it is imperative that once prescribed you persevere with them. They can - and will - work but it undoubtedly helps, as others have previously said, to rethink your life strategy by cutting out the crap i.e. start eating more healthy and lighter meals especially in the evening, reducing the booze, taking regular moderate exercise and, afterwards, a nice bath/shower and occasional early night with a good book (deffo not television). And before dropping off to sleep spend a few moments - working from the feet up - by tensing and releasing the various muscles in your legs, buttocks, arms, abdomen/chest, shoulders and even face. This helps to release the tension in your body. Pamper time I call it but it does work and leads to a more relaxing, deep and refreshing sleep.

Obviously, you still need to make time for friends and family but a much more 'together' you will mean a much more pleasant and companionable existence.

Great post with excellent tips. Thanks for sharing. Also, a welcome balancing post to some recent ones questioning the use and value of antidepressants.

Is anyone recieving medication for anxiety, my depression is 'under control', but i've begun to stress out over the most simple stuff, and its beginning to ruin my life, i find myself anious over the smallest stiuff to the point i can't even sit still.

Is anyone recieving medication for anxiety, my depression is 'under control', but i've begun to stress out over the most simple stuff, and its beginning to ruin my life, i find myself anious over the smallest stiuff to the point i can't even sit still.

Not now but previously was on Citalopram for anxiety, my mind absolutely runs away with itself about the smallest things. I remember once when my little one went for a routine doctors appointment with his mum and I was waiting for a call to find out how it went, about 5 minutes after he should have been out I'd heard nothing, then 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes and nothing. After the first 15 minutes I'd driven to the doctors and sat outside waiting for them almost in tears and convinced he'd been rushed to hospital cos they must have found something horrible.

His mum finally phoned and said she'd been home for ages and how was my day going, I played down what a lunatic I'd been but the 400 missed calls probably gave it away. Plenty of other examples of that sort of thing where I've been in tears or close to it because it's just crippled me, CBT and citalopram helped a lot.

Not now but previously was on Citalopram for anxiety, my mind absolutely runs away with itself about the smallest things. I remember once when my little one went for a routine doctors appointment with his mum and I was waiting for a call to find out how it went, about 5 minutes after he should have been out I'd heard nothing, then 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes and nothing. After the first 15 minutes I'd driven to the doctors and sat outside waiting for them almost in tears and convinced he'd been rushed to hospital cos they must have found something horrible.

His mum finally phoned and said she'd been home for ages and how was my day going, I played down what a lunatic I'd been but the 400 missed calls probably gave it away. Plenty of other examples of that sort of thing where I've been in tears or close to it because it's just crippled me, CBT and citalopram helped a lot.
Hmm i'm on Citalopram, apart from making me fat and unable to cry it seems to have kept my rampant depression at bay, but this anxiety is doing my head in.

Hmm i'm on Citalopram, apart from making me fat and unable to cry it seems to have kept my rampant depression at bay, but this anxiety is doing my head in.

I mistook my anxiety for depression for a long long time, I never felt better than when I got the anxiety treated and the biggest help for that was CBT, which I've probably banged on about a number of times in here and am a big advocate of. I'm definitely not the sort of person that thought they would benefit from it because I assumed it was a load of hippy bollocks, but it's just practical stuff and as long as you keep up with it it can be a huge help.

Might be worth having a chat with your GP and seeing if you could get something sorted, I'd recommend face to face and not one of these telephone or online ones as I find it too easy to kid yourself and let yourself off the hook on those, just my opinion.

I know I always bang on about it on here Bry, but exercise keeps my anxiety under control.

I appreciate that not everyone has the time to do an hour plus most days, but there`s loads of 10 min High Intensity Training stuff that you can do at home, which would give you a lift.

Bryan - Can't 'like' your post because it suggests I think what you're going through is a nice thing...and it bloody well isn't.

I note that you say your depression is 'under control' so presume you have been seeking and obtaining professional advice so maybe need to have a word with your Health professional.

In general, however, there is, of course, medication and help out there to see you through this crisis. And as Bungle has suggested CBT (and I believe you can self-refer for this without necessarily going through your GP) helps to identify the triggers and provide self-help methods to alleviate the symptoms. But I would, in the first instance, see your Doctor - you wont be the first and you certainly will not be the last to go to him/her with this problem. I would wager that in the region of 40% of all patients nowadays suffer directly from Anxiety/Stress and/or undiagnosed psychosomatic health problems, as a consequence.

As the saying goes, 'it's all in your head'....and that is just the point! It IS 'all in your head' and it doesn't always go away on its own - by which, I mean, we all need a little anxiety/stress in our lives to function normally and keep us focused - but when it becomes wholly pervasive and starts taking us over then that is the time we need intervention.

So whilst it is a great thing to be able to come on this Forum and express our fears and concerns and to seek reassurance nothing will beat sitting face to face with a Health Practitioner or similar, someone who is capable of expressing empathy, treating your condition with the seriousness it deserves and providing reassurance that most of our fears/concerns are irrational.

We cannot change what cannot be changed or alter that which has already happened (Btw, I'm taking no credit for this statement as I probably read it or something similar elsewhere! Rudyard Kipling?) but we can rewire our minds to enable us to cope and understand the irrational and obtrusive nature of our thoughts and their effect on our well-being.

I learned the hard way by trying to keep a lid on things and trust me it doesn't work. It's like burying your head in the sand and hoping that it will all go away but it is unlikely to so take that step and reach out. There are plenty of 'professionals' out there who can and will help but they will not come to you, you have to make the decision and the sooner you do the sooner the situation will be controlled.

Good Luck!

It's ruined my life for years, I'm on Mirtazapine which sort of treats both anxiety and depression. I don't know if it helps or not to be honest.

I don't really talk about it, but I hit a low spot last year and ended up getting sectioned. What helped me more was speaking to a psychologist who just understood me and basically made me understand myself, in turn helping me to deal with things better.

Medication certainly helps, but understanding yourself and why stuff is happening helped me more.

Sadly, all that support disappeared when I got released.

It's ruined my life for years, I'm on Mirtazapine which sort of treats both anxiety and depression. I don't know if it helps or not to be honest.

I don't really talk about it, but I hit a low spot last year and ended up getting sectioned. What helped me more was speaking to a psychologist who just understood me and basically made me understand myself, in turn helping me to deal with things better.

Medication certainly helps, but understanding yourself and why stuff is happening helped me more.

Sadly, all that support disappeared when I got released.
Thanks for the insights mate, hope you find some peace.

Thanks for the insights mate, hope you find some peace.

Cheers. Probably doesn't make as much sense as I wanted it too, more me just thinking/typing out loud.

Alcohol was my biggest downfall during my worst period, it's probably what brought everything to a head. I still drink now against better judgement but its the only way I can deal with social situations, otherwise I just don't go out.

Very few people know of my situation, a couple of close friends and my seniors and HR at work. This is probably why I'm rambling on now.

Cheers. Probably doesn't make as much sense as I wanted it too, more me just thinking/typing out loud.

Alcohol was my biggest downfall during my worst period, it's probably what brought everything to a head. I still drink now against better judgement but its the only way I can deal with social situations, otherwise I just don't go out.

Very few people know of my situation, a couple of close friends and my seniors and HR at work. This is probably why I'm rambling on now.
Not rambling mate, it’s good to talk even via the forums. Gets a little easier to digest — which is why post In here. It’s none judgmental and cathartic to respond and get replies from those who understand.