Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

yeah, i had stomach cramps on top,

i know you say you cant face food but try and get something in mate or it will just make the nausea worse long run, plus any tabs on an empty stomach isn't a great idea

paracetamol is fine on sertraline, not sure why you have been told that, its ibuprophen and aspirin and stuff like naproxen that you cant take on them

how many days into them are you now mate?
3rd day now. Baby steps at the moment. Took some paracetamol anyway headache cleared and have felt no funny effects.
Had my first good night's kip last night for yonks.
Too early to say if tabs are doing their job, but I certainly haven't got any worse.

its always the way mate, the ones who seem happiest, look at Robin Williams!!

its how people are when they think no one is looking that you need to watch for

i have always been known as "mr joker" by my family, but its an act, it was not what i felt inside

Pretty much the same, and to a certain extent on here, yet I can go from happily talking to someone or posting like a knob on here to feeling desperately low within about 10 seconds, you just never know what's going on with someone unfortunately and if nobody asks specifically about how you're doing you'll never volunteer the info and just continue to act as if all is fine.

I don't even know if that makes sense but it does in my head.

Pretty much the same, and to a certain extent on here, yet I can go from happily talking to someone or posting like a knob on here to feeling desperately low within about 10 seconds, you just never know what's going on with someone unfortunately and if nobody asks specifically about how you're doing you'll never volunteer the info and just continue to act as if all is fine.

it resonates with me mush !

can I just add ive recently helped a couple of people out via PM .. if your not up to posting your personal issues on here , then I am happy to give advice .. obv not medical advice but advice on stuff ive personally been through and might be able to help out in privacy.
Nice touch that mate well in

Great post... can identify with it a lot.

I hope this doesn’t sound insensitive because it’s a genuine question that i’ve wondered for some time, it’s certainly not intended to come across as patronising or hurtful in any way. What is the point where feeling sad, anxious, stressed or disinterested becomes “I have depression”?

A few years ago at 25 after losing my job, I decided to try and build an online business. I had no savings, no working capital, I sofa surfed and relied on generosity from my family for the best part of 2 years. My weight ballooned from about 13st to 19st, my girlfriend of 6 years left me and my health really suffered.

During that time, as you’d expect I had bouts of loneliness, anxiety, stress and hopelessness over the last few years and without getting into a p’~^*•g contest with anyone, it got to the point where i didn’t want to go out, attend social situations etc.

During that time, I could have very easily been diagnosed with depression. For some people, I can totally understand how diagnosis and medications helps them reach some semblance of normality and gets them through the day. However, it seems to be becoming much more common recently, and my own personal experience with Doctors is that they are too eager to suggest anti-depressants as a solution to life’s many problems and challenges

For me, a sustained lack of exercise and poor diet will make anyone feel low. I believed (whether rightly or wrongly) that being overweight, having no money and feeling utterly worthless wasn’t a good enough reason, at least not in my head, to seek help. Nobody could give me the help I truly required. That could only come from me.

If I wanted to feel better, I knew the solution was to eat less junk, start exercising again, find a way to make some cash (whether that be a new job or working harder to make my business work) and find some meaning in life again, none of that was going to be overnight or easy.

And this is the great thing about this thread in particular, it struck me a long time ago that these are very typical emotions and challenges that everyone faces at some point in life to varying degrees, often during our younger years when the world seems it’s most daunting. It’s great to see so many people sharing and the positivity that this elicits.

I’m almost 30 now, I have a moderately successful, growing business and I get married next Saturday. Everything isn’t peachy but it’s better. Incidentally, my fiancee was on Sertraline when we very first met as she struggled with losing her job and the break up of her parents marriage. She used to say that the tablets “helped her get through the day”. I can understand this, but it’s okay not to be okay about that. We talked and I suggested why she would want to take pills to feel okay about things that are perfectly reasonable and normal to feel down about. At her own pace, she weaned herself off and quickly returned to a much better place. Though again, life is still not perfect and rarely is.

It’s something i’ve been thinking about a lot recently as one of the lads I play Football with has signed off work as he gets used to the well-documented side effects of Prozac. His doctor prescribed him this after he complained of panic attacks, anxiety and insomnia. However he also drinks a lot, takes Cocaine and smokes a lot of Weed. I’ve suggested to him that laying off the other stuff first would improve his life no end. Perhaps to the point where he wouldn’t need the prozac and could go to work. To me that makes perfect sense but I understand it’s not always that cut and dry for everyone. In both a physical and mental sense, taking all of that stuff is a recipe for disaster.

My Nan used to say that life is all about “making it through as best you can, in your own way” and “finding happiness in the simplest things” and for those that are diagnosed and take medication, I wish you only the best in finding happiness and contentment in your life. There is no judgement from me as every case is entirely different. This isn’t about strength or weakness either, I just wanted to get some feedback from others on where the line is drawn for them.

I guess I’ve answered my own question in that the line is drawn differently for everyone. I contemplated deleting this post but it was a pretty cathartic experience typing it all up, I hope nobody is insulted by any insinuations i’ve made as that’s absolutely not my intention.

I hope this doesn’t sound insensitive because it’s a genuine question that i’ve wondered for some time, it’s certainly not intended to come across as patronising or hurtful in any way. What is the point where feeling sad, anxious, stressed or disinterested becomes “I have depression”?

A few years ago at 25 after losing my job, I decided to try and build an online business. I had no savings, no working capital, I sofa surfed and relied on generosity from my family for the best part of 2 years. My weight ballooned from about 13st to 19st, my girlfriend of 6 years left me and my health really suffered.

During that time, as you’d expect I had bouts of loneliness, anxiety, stress and hopelessness over the last few years and without getting into a p’~^*•g contest with anyone, it got to the point where i didn’t want to go out, attend social situations etc.

During that time, I could have very easily been diagnosed with depression. For some people, I can totally understand how diagnosis and medications helps them reach some semblance of normality and gets them through the day. However, it seems to be becoming much more common recently, and my own personal experience with Doctors is that they are too eager to suggest anti-depressants as a solution to life’s many problems and challenges

For me, a sustained lack of exercise and poor diet will make anyone feel low. I believed (whether rightly or wrongly) that being overweight, having no money and feeling utterly worthless wasn’t a good enough reason, at least not in my head, to seek help. Nobody could give me the help I truly required. That could only come from me.

If I wanted to feel better, I knew the solution was to eat less junk, start exercising again, find a way to make some cash (whether that be a new job or working harder to make my business work) and find some meaning in life again, none of that was going to be overnight or easy.

And this is the great thing about this thread in particular, it struck me a long time ago that these are very typical emotions and challenges that everyone faces at some point in life to varying degrees, often during our younger years when the world seems it’s most daunting. It’s great to see so many people sharing and the positivity that this elicits.

I’m almost 30 now, I have a moderately successful, growing business and I get married next Saturday. Everything isn’t peachy but it’s better. Incidentally, my fiancee was on Sertraline when we very first met as she struggled with losing her job and the break up of her parents marriage. She used to say that the tablets “helped her get through the day”. I can understand this, but it’s okay not to be okay about that. We talked and I suggested why she would want to take pills to feel okay about things that are perfectly reasonable and normal to feel down about. At her own pace, she weaned herself off and quickly returned to a much better place. Though again, life is still not perfect and rarely is.

It’s something i’ve been thinking about a lot recently as one of the lads I play Football with has signed off work as he gets used to the well-documented side effects of Prozac. His doctor prescribed him this after he complained of panic attacks, anxiety and insomnia. However he also drinks a lot, takes Cocaine and smokes a lot of Weed. I’ve suggested to him that laying off the other stuff first would improve his life no end. Perhaps to the point where he wouldn’t need the prozac and could go to work. To me that makes perfect sense but I understand it’s not always that cut and dry for everyone. In both a physical and mental sense, taking all of that stuff is a recipe for disaster.

My Nan used to say that life is all about “making it through as best you can, in your own way” and “finding happiness in the simplest things” and for those that are diagnosed and take medication, I wish you only the best in finding happiness and contentment in your life. There is no judgement from me as every case is entirely different. This isn’t about strength or weakness either, I just wanted to get some feedback from others on where the line is drawn for them.

I guess I’ve answered my own question in that the line is drawn differently for everyone. I contemplated deleting this post but it was a pretty cathartic experience typing it all up, I hope nobody is insulted by any insinuations i’ve made as that’s absolutely not my intention.
Very good post, but even the rich, handsome, sucsesful can be depressed its not sometimes as black and white

But i get your point deffo! Makes alot of sense,and most people on here will reccomend exercise as the best form of aid

Very good post, but even the rich, handsome, sucsesful can be depressed its not sometimes as black and white

Oh yeah I totally understand it’s different for everyone mate. The rich and handsome have their own issues, chiefly around trust and living up to much higher expectations. Others don’t have those expectations, we all have to carve out our own path.

Ultimately, success is defined by you. My family had absolutely nothing growing up we took our rare holidays in tiny caravans in Rhyl, Yarmouth, and Tenby, success for me was being able to take my Mum and Dad to Portugal for a couple of weeks, now it looks slightly different. I’m almost 30 and only moved out last year when lads I grew up with have been in their own places for years.

Appreciate the feedback.

I can only speak for myself obviously and probably would have thought similar as well till i went through it myself. There's an utterly huge difference between just having a bit of a bad time compared to crippling depression and anxiety causing repeated panic attacks.

In a nutshell mate, the chemicals in your brain that regulate the way you feel mentally are out of balance / wrong.

This can be caused by a whole host of things and can strike anyone at anytime - the rich and famous, sports people, footballers, anyone.

It’s an illness, same as any other illness.

Your “ head “ can break, same as any other part of your body.

Congratulations— you have what’s called “insight” which is the ability to identify the problems you have and approach them and fix them, those with depression often see no way of “fixing” things and struggle with the aspect of the problems being the root of the issue.

Once you/we/I can Identify the issues it’s one step on the run to recovery. But that’s often the most difficult part, and why a lot of victims of depression never make it past that initially recovery.

What is the point where feeling sad, anxious, stressed or disinterested becomes “I have depression”?

Medics generally use two tests, based on either 2 or 9 questions.
If you Google PHQ-2 and PHQ-9 then you'll find them.

They're not 100% reliable, but the vast majority of people who are depressed ( rather than sad ) will, if they answer honestly, be picked up from these tests.

At what point does just being sad become depression? The single most sensitive screen is if, for at least 2 weeks, you’ve not been able to derive enjoyment from anything. Nothing detracts you from your misery even those things that would normally raise your spirits. Add to this early morning wakening and weight loss/comfort eating and it’s more likely than not there’s more going on than just being sad in the conventional sense.

Contrary to what a lot of people think, not everyone who is depressed is suicidal so don’t dismiss your unrelenting low mood as just being sad because “if I was depressed I’d be wanting to kill myself”. Under this notion, too many people delay asking for help for far too long.

Congratulations— you have what’s called “insight” which is the ability to identify the problems you have and approach them and fix them, those with depression often see no way of “fixing” things and struggle with the aspect of the problems being the root of the issue.

Once you/we/I can Identify the issues it’s one step on the run to recovery. But that’s often the most difficult part, and why a lot of victims of depression never make it past that initially recovery.

Appreciate the comments. However, I’d argue at the time I didn’t see any way of “fixing” my problems either. If we use weight as one example, you feel anxious about your appearance, being judged by others, photographs, seeing people you know. It doesn’t take “insight” to realise that there is a linkage between weight and those anxieties. The pragmatism to see light at the end of the tunnel and put those thoughts into practice is a different matter altogether, of course.

In my experience, I’ve known many people diagnosed with various types of depression and most, if not all, are well aware of their problems and what causes them. Some appeared not to have the courage (and I say that with trepidation as it takes a great deal of courage to put your hand up and say "I need a hand" too!) or even just the energy / enthusiasm / will to confront those problems and attempt to overcome them. The oversimplification, which I try to avoid, is that if you feel naff about how you look, you can get to the gym and work hard and stop eating crap, or you can claim an illness is the cause (absolving personal responsibility) and take some pills that will get you from A to B for a while.

In a nutshell mate, the chemicals in your brain that regulate the way you feel mentally are out of balance / wrong.

This can be caused by a whole host of things and can strike anyone at anytime - the rich and famous, sports people, footballers, anyone.

It’s an illness, same as any other illness.

Your “ head “ can break, same as any other part of your body.

This is interesting, my understanding is that's the medical industry differentiates between clinical depression and situational depression and it's the diagnosis and prognosis of the latter I'm focusing on more I guess (without downplaying the significance of the other). I appreciate there's varying theories as with anything, but my understanding is that those with clinical depression are either genetically predisposed to suffer or experience a sudden bout due to irregular hormonal changes in the body during puberty / adolescence / menopause. Long term substance abusers naturally suffer too, due to the sustained chemical impact on the brain (which is why I've somewhat less sympathy for my mate I mentioned earlier - he doesn't help himself)

Situational depression is, as it sounds, prompted often by a life event or sudden shock. Again, i'll use weight as that was what affected me. Let's say a perfectly healthy person has a fall and breaks both legs, can't walk for 6 months and gains 5 stone. They'd suffer many of the symptoms I did (Anxiety, Irritability, Agoraphobia, Fatigue, Low Self-Esteem) and could very easily be diagnosed if they so wish.

They're not 100% reliable, but the vast majority of people who are depressed ( rather than sad ) will, if they answer honestly, be picked up from these tests.

Really interesting, thanks. I'll look into this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just thought I'd share the link to the PHQ-9. As you quite rightly said, It's an interesting test but it's clearly not infallible.

Although i'm fairly stressed with the wedding and the business at the moment, I got a score of 15/27 which would place me in the 'Moderately Severe Depression' category.