Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Does anyone have suicidal thoughts? How do you cope?
Yes mate, to an extent.
In my head there is a distinction between how I occasionally think (if this chatter in my head doesn't stop/if a,b or c happens there is always a way out...) and the actual distinct planning out and serious consideration.
If its the latter for you then get help now. There are people to speak to and even if it's chatting to us strangers on an Everton forum (it's helped me!).
If its the 'fleeting thoughts' as I call it, then I deal with them and have done for 10+ years. They come and go. I think I know deep down though that I could never do it to my wife, kids and family.
In a weird way the 'fantasy' of 'there is always a way out' is a comfort to me. It' kind of helps me cope.

I've got a disciplinary hearing tomorrow. Been a teacher in the same school for 22 years. Absolutely love teaching and I've never wanted to be a manager. Trouble started two years ago when I left a campaign as Union Rep to stop our school becoming an academy. We won but I've had nothing but hassles with management ever since.
I was suspended on a spurious charge by the school in September and tomorrow I finally find out what happens. I've had great support from parents, students and ex students and colleagues. They have been on strike for 8 days to support me.
It's been awful and especially so for my family.
I would say to any blue make sure you keep a record at work of any interaction with management and if you are in the public sector join a union.
Details below and wish me luck.
Academies are a good idea in theory and a disaster in reality. Half-Wits think they are going to have an amazing career path and be managers rather than educators. They cant even explain the curriculum or understand it.
You have done the right thing by resisting. Whatever happens you are right
Good luck!

Yes mate, to an extent.
In my head there is a distinction between how I occasionally think (if this chatter in my head doesn't stop/if a,b or c happens there is always a way out...) and the actual distinct planning out and serious consideration.
If its the latter for you then get help now. There are people to speak to and even if it's chatting to us strangers on an Everton forum (it's helped me!).
If its the 'fleeting thoughts' as I call it, then I deal with them and have done for 10+ years. They come and go. I think I know deep down though that I could never do it to my wife, kids and family.
In a weird way the 'fantasy' of 'there is always a way out' is a comfort to me. It' kind of helps me cope.
We all get a way out, like it or not so dont worry about it at all. Us and the people and situations that bother us are all temporary so no need to go early.

Does anyone have suicidal thoughts? How do you cope?
My experience is that if you have ever seriously contemplated suicide in the past then your mind will always present it as an option. We cannot really control our thoughts. As said above though if you progress from a casual thought to actually thinking that the world would be a better place without you then I would seek out professional help.

Academies are a good idea in theory and a disaster in reality. Half-Wits think they are going to have an amazing career path and be managers rather than educators. They cant even explain the curriculum or understand it.
You have done the right thing by resisting. Whatever happens you are right
Good luck!
I know this as my Mrs is a brilliant teacher and the current former academy head is all business, bullying beyond belief and utterly clueless about teaching. A 300 pupil school also pays a business manager and the head goes early, home or away to watch her football team (a crap one from the lower leagues) whilst the staff work sixty hour weeks. Long-Term sickness is rife, An incredible number of experienced staff have resigned, the various unions have handled numerous complaints and the Education Authority do nothing. Neither do the unions in reality. Meanwhile staff and children pay the price.

Mate, it`s the same throughout the whole public sector.

Paper Tigers, who never taking responsibility for anything.
My current work is around healthcare. NHS waste is utterly beyond belief. To be clear I am left wing and could never contemplate anything but total access to healthcare. That organisation needs turning upside down though, it is often lazy, frequently corrupt and does not understand priorities. I have been stunned by some of the things I have encountered.

Anyone tried reiki? Had it recommended to me....few years back I would have dismissed it as non sense ...fella who recommended it is sound fella who is very 'normal'. Am willing to give it a try....

Anyone tried reiki? Had it recommended to me....few years back I would have dismissed it as non sense ...fella who recommended it is sound fella who is very 'normal'. Am willing to give it a try....

It`s in the same family as meditation and mindfulness.

Works for some, not for others mate.

Give it a go, what have you got to lose and I think quite a few places do the first session for free.

Anything that gets your head in the right place. Nothing to lose. When you are trying a class or new experience you are away from the random crap that is normal life. Go for it.