Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I’ve been having a really rough time mentally after my gran passing away a couple of months ago - been working from home, and though my colleagues and TL on my current team have always been super passive aggressive, my tolerance for it has plummeted and essentially ended up at the point of being bullied.

I have BPD which kinda makes virtually every situation worse in one way or another, and have definitely been struggling to cope lately, or using unhealthy coping methods, as the meds just haven’t really been cutting it, but I’m not sure what to do. I’m a bit apprehensive about taking time off on sick due to it, as at my last place I was treated horrifically as soon as they found out about my mental health problems (I work in investments, so I’m not surprised at that kind of behaviour given the amount of knobs in my industry)
Chester personal question. Are your unhealthy coping methods self harm. Cutting pefhaps? If they are be carefull and be aware of infections. You can self harm in so many ways, for example putting yourself in dangerous situations, not eating taking in fluids. If it gets too much there are - as has rightly been said on here - web sites that are really helpful. I recommend MIND. It's written in plain speaking very readable language. As you know self harm is about stress anxiety and " feeling you should be punished ". I would obviously recommend having someone you can chat to Chester. You have an option of asking your GP to review your meds. They work for some bug not others. I know people have mentioned web sites where people talk about their mental illnesses and I would never put you off. It's about lived experience and therefore subjective. Be aware that you have a very specific set of circumstances, and as such your experience is not always the same as theirs. Try not go to think " that's me, they are better but I'm not recovering, why ? ". I've said a number of times your the expert on your illness. Swimming, riding a bike, or excercises that someone can give you a gentle kick up the backside as motivation. You'll get through this just take little steps and be prepared for " blips " in your recovery. As people have said, your employer has no right AT ALL to be aware of what course of action your GP has recommended. It's confidential and they are on very rocky ground trying to involve themselves in your recovery. Your not weird, or a freak of weak. You do what you can to cope with your stresses. If it works and that includes self harm, then you need to make a choice. You are aware that it's not an " appropriate " way of coping, so IF you can try different things to help you cope, however unconventional. Good luck buddy.

Thank you for the advice, at my previous employer I perhaps should have agreed to the assessment, but after my manager compared my BPD to his gout I decided that it was pointless.

I’ll have my meeting with my manager tomorrow, so I’ll tell her then, as it could be valuable.
Try here Chester blue. Good luck m8

Chester personal question. Are your unhealthy coping methods self harm. Cutting pefhaps? If they are be carefull and be aware of infections. You can self harm in so many ways, for example putting yourself in dangerous situations, not eating taking in fluids. If it gets too much there are - as has rightly been said on here - web sites that are really helpful. I recommend MIND. It's written in plain speaking very readable language. As you know self harm is about stress anxiety and " feeling you should be punished ". I would obviously recommend having someone you can chat to Chester. You have an option of asking your GP to review your meds. They work for some bug not others. I know people have mentioned web sites where people talk about their mental illnesses and I would never put you off. It's about lived experience and therefore subjective. Be aware that you have a very specific set of circumstances, and as such your experience is not always the same as theirs. Try not go to think " that's me, they are better but I'm not recovering, why ? ". I've said a number of times your the expert on your illness. Swimming, riding a bike, or excercises that someone can give you a gentle kick up the backside as motivation. You'll get through this just take little steps and be prepared for " blips " in your recovery. As people have said, your employer has no right AT ALL to be aware of what course of action your GP has recommended. It's confidential and they are on very rocky ground trying to involve themselves in your recovery. Your not weird, or a freak of weak. You do what you can to cope with your stresses. If it works and that includes self harm, then you need to make a choice. You are aware that it's not an " appropriate " way of coping, so IF you can try different things to help you cope, however unconventional. Good luck buddy.
Thanks mate, I appreciate it - that doesn’t often tend to be a coping mechanism, only once or twice since I got diagnosed which was about 5-6 years ago now. MIND might be worth looking at, I’m still waiting on a chat with my manager too, to talk about things as she’s been off ill this week

Work’s been similar for me lately. Got shifted to a new team just after lockdown, no access to their systems, completely different way of working that no one is helping me with, then Thursday they say they’re furloughing most of us from yesterday (I wanted this) and now there are rumours it’s being cancelled Monday morning. Been an anxious mess all weekend and not enjoyed my free time at all.

Well update to this I was indeed (incorrectly) furloughed for 3 weeks which ended yesterday but back to work today and I'm straight into feeling anxious and overwhelmed by this new role so went into the office to speak to a manager (isn't my manager for the role; many layers to this job) and see what my options were and how I was feeling. Basically I have to plug away at this role or probably leave the company as there's no way for me to go back to my old role. Said I need to make sure my head is okay as that's all important so I'm sat in a bit of limbo now wondering if to carry on feeling like rubbish for the next few weeks or just put my notice in with zero in the works to move onto.

Well update to this I was indeed (incorrectly) furloughed for 3 weeks which ended yesterday but back to work today and I'm straight into feeling anxious and overwhelmed by this new role so went into the office to speak to a manager (isn't my manager for the role; many layers to this job) and see what my options were and how I was feeling. Basically I have to plug away at this role or probably leave the company as there's no way for me to go back to my old role. Said I need to make sure my head is okay as that's all important so I'm sat in a bit of limbo now wondering if to carry on feeling like rubbish for the next few weeks or just put my notice in with zero in the works to move onto.

Tread water for a few weeks mate and see if things improve.

There`s bound to be a bit of fallout for a while after all this and there`ll be loads feeling the exact same as you are at the mo.

I should imagine there`ll be people who may leave too and that new opportunities may arise as a result ;)

Tread water for a few weeks mate and see if things improve.

There`s bound to be a bit of fallout for a while after all this and there`ll be loads feeling the exact same as you are at the mo.

I should imagine there`ll be people who may leave too and that new opportunities may arise as a result ;)

Yeh got no other choice but to do that; not leaving it too longer to see if things improve though as I can crash pretty quickly and I don't want that again. Honestly rather just have a job stacking shelves in ASDA than my current role. Was thinking of maybe even trying to retrain as something else but the drop in money isn't sustainable. Feel quite trapped in my current role.

Yeh got no other choice but to do that; not leaving it too longer to see if things improve though as I can crash pretty quickly and I don't want that again. Honestly rather just have a job stacking shelves in ASDA than my current role. Was thinking of maybe even trying to retrain as something else but the drop in money isn't sustainable. Feel quite trapped in my current role.

As you know the job market is going to be pretty tough for a while, especially up your way, as there`s only your place, Vickers, Glaxo and the likes of the NHS / Police / Teaching , Haverigg etc , who provide any form of regular salaried employment.

Do you have any leave to take and get off for a bit with everything opening up again ?

As you know the job market is going to be pretty tough for a while, especially up your way, as there`s only your place, Vickers, Glaxo and the likes of the NHS / Police / Teaching , Haverigg etc , who provide any form of regular salaried employment.

Do you have any leave to take and get off for a bit with everything opening up again ?

We were asked to take 2 weeks leave before end of July so I've just emailed to see if this is stille the case even for the furloughed. However, even then it's just 2 weeks prolonging the mess. Just had my first catchup Teams meeting since before I left and it was "need this, this and this doing" despite not knowing how to do them. :dodgy:

Might just go apply to an apprenticeship and start from the bottom again haha.

You have to put your mental health first and foremost. Need to be able to function and think straight. How bad is " feeling rubbish ", what does it look like. If its bearable and not " taxing " and you can go through the motions. Conversely if it is going to make you feel like s""t, increase your anxiety, then don't go in bud. As for the " zero in the works " remark, it would appear to me your not ready for a new project. For what it's worth I think you need to be kind to yourself buddy. All the stress and anxiety can have a cumulative affect. Always always put your peace of mind at the forefront of your thoughts, everything else flows from mental stability. Good luck m8.

Pedagogy, I feel class teacher (7-12y) interests me the most but I can finetune along the way.
Very soft anyway compared to the private sector where margins must always increase no matter how well you do...
No idea how difficult it will be to get a spot in uni as Im OLD, at least compared to the young ones...
A little update from me.
I just got into Uni in Helsinki and will start my 5-year studies. Im going to be close to 50 when I get my degree :)

Its never too late for a change guys! Unless you are over 50, then you are fuxxored ;)

Im going to start my studies to become a primary school teacher in Finland. 5 years of university to be fully qualified so I am out of the loop for a long time. So very much looking forward to that. Going to study at the university in Helsinki, Finland. Its kinda logical as Im Finnish and live only 50mins away. Language will be Swedish though as I belong to this weird little minority we have over here.