Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I’ve completely stopped my citalopram now. Took it about once a week for two weeks and haven’t taken it since. Have felt no side effects. Apart from not sleeping as heavily, but that was one of the reasons for stopping it.

I’ve stopped staring into thin air like a drugged mental patient let out on day release and have begun reading books again. And I’ve threatened some form of exercise. All of which where non existent until I decided to come off it.

I went for a little walk today just for some fresh air. I sat down for a while and I had a man and woman come over and ask me if I was ok. Asked if I wanted to come in for a cup of tea. I declined as I would just be crying.

A while later another man came over and asked me if I needed to talk. He shook my hand and told me not to do anything silly (which I won't)

I must have looked a state with my body language but it was nice that there are people who care.

I know I have many hard day's and dark nights ahead of me. I'm glad I have people here to talk to. I will be talking a lot as I do wear my heart on my sleeve.

When things are a lot better for me I want to help people. Things really do seem too hard and when you're down you can't see a way out.

I hope I'm out of it enough one day to help. I do care too.

I think I will look into counselling. Even if I just read up on it all. It may help.
You will get out of the hole you feel like you're in mate..people will say it a lot to you and you will get sick of hearing it but it's true, youve got to give it time. It sounds like youve already made changes and you can see people care about you and your wellbeing, the strangers on here and when you went for a walk, youre loved ones care for you more so remember that. You've already listed a few ambitions, being a better bloke next year and getting into some sort of care role. Honestly, you're already doing better than I did when I was in the position you're in, I didnt leave the house for at least a week so you're already on the road. Dms are open if you ever need anything.

Last edited:
I'm having a pretty poor day today. The regret at what I've just lost is killing me. It is really really hurting me. I can't turn it off.

I'm just facing crap no matter which way I turn. I'm low today. I hate myself.

I'm honestly struggling.

I’ve completely stopped my citalopram now. Took it about once a week for two weeks and haven’t taken it since. Have felt no side effects. Apart from not sleeping as heavily, but that was one of the reasons for stopping it.

I’ve stopped staring into thin air like a drugged mental patient let out on day release and have begun reading books again. And I’ve threatened some form of exercise. All of which where non existent until I decided to come off it.
Hope it works out for you Bry. Now I'm back on my meds I'm rarely on time for work cos i sleep straight through the 4 alarms i set in the morning so i know what you mean lol

I'm having a pretty poor day today. The regret at what I've just lost is killing me. It is really really hurting me. I can't turn it off.

I'm just facing crap no matter which way I turn. I'm low today. I hate myself.

I'm honestly struggling.
Would something simple like watching a movie/tv show that makes you laugh take your mind off things even for a few hours ?

No. The regret at what I've lost is just eating me away. I'm so unhappy

Things aren't as bad as they seem mate. Trust me, they never are. Being sad is okay, you've been through the ringer and you should allow yourself the opportunity to grieve, to be sad and upset. It's not wrong to feel that way. However, it's important to remember that there is an end to all that sadness and light at the end of the tunnel. This is just the start of a brand new beginning for you and your life. It's okay to mourn what's gone but there's lot's to be positive and excited about.

Maybe take your mind off things, why don't you have a think about the type of work you'd like to do and start having a look at possible job opportunities online? Should keep you busy and productive for a couple of hours and then see how you feel then.

Hope it works out for you Bry. Now I'm back on my meds I'm rarely on time for work cos i sleep straight through the 4 alarms i set in the morning so i know what you mean lol
Mate I do miss the coma like sleeps I was in, but getting up in the morning was like awakening from a 30 year sleep. It wasn’t restful it was awful. I was always late cos I was so shattered and it took me so long to move out the bed.

Good luck fella

No. The regret at what I've lost is just eating me away. I'm so unhappy
I don’t wanna keep flinging advice at you, but when I went through the same I got a piece of paper and just wrote down words, what was upsetting me how I intended to try and fix it. I don’t suggest you carry it around like a manifesto in your pocket but writing it down helps, it’s cathartic. Or was for me.

I won't be in here tonight I don't think. I'll be without internet.

I'll try and get on though. I do appreciate all the positive words and motivation you're all trying to give me. You may get fed up repeating yourself but I just want you all to know I appreciate it all.

I hear your all, I just find it hard to believe at the moment.
Speak soon

Last edited:
I won't be in here tonight I don't think. I'll be without internet.

I'll try and get on though. I do appreciate all the positive words and motivation you're all trying to give me. You may get few up repeating yourself but I just want you all to know I appreciate it all.

I hear your all, I just find it hard to believe at the moment.
Speak soon
Keep in touch mate, don’t let the darkness get you down. Loads of us will be counting on you to suffer along with Everton this season! ;)

I'm sitting here in a nursing home like I do for 5 hours every day watching my wife die, inch by inch. Tonight, she has been deeply asleep, so I don't have to burst my brain trying to find ways of enticing her to eat and drink even a tiny amount. I've just sat here for an hour crying continuously and stroking her forehead. Call me naive, but I had absolutely no idea that there was this much misery in the entire world.

I'm sitting here in a nursing home like I do for 5 hours every day watching my wife die, inch by inch. Tonight, she has been deeply asleep, so I don't have to burst my brain trying to find ways of enticing her to eat and drink even a tiny amount. I've just sat here for an hour crying continuously and stroking her forehead. Call me naive, but I had absolutely no idea that there was this much misery in the entire world.

She is not alone mate. She is being nursed in her hour of need by the man she loves. She may not acknowledge that to you, but she will certainly be aware of your presence. Maybe thats why she is in a restful sleep. She is safe.

She is not alone mate. She is being nursed in her hour of need by the man she loves. She may not acknowledge that to you, but she will certainly be aware of your presence. Maybe thats why she is in a restful sleep. She is safe.
Thanks very much for the comforting words and support from others. I'm back at home now, having somehow made it along the motorway whilst effectively wearing a blindfold made of tears (again).

Was at a low ebb and feeling very lonely, but getting it off my chest and getting support has helped.

Thanks again, all.