Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

There isn’t too much without either taking a pay cut and effectively a huge career step back or commuting into Manchester each day. Sadly I’m in an absolute Catch 22 where every other box is checked apart from the quality of the job.

Been away from this thread for a while so bit of a late response but I feel your pain mate. I'm in a very similar situation to this and have been for a few years now. My job is a very cushy number but offers no fulfilment apart from security and decent salary (which is not to be sniffed at obviously). It's dull and unchallenging and kind of grinds you down after a while. I've had a lot of physical illnesses and injuries over the last 2-3 years which I'm starting to wonder might be connected. On the other hand quitting and doing what really interests me would involve a pay cut and lots of other changes that would bring other anxieties with them so sort of Catch 22 for me too. I've just taken on a voluntary project in the field that really interests me that I can do outside of work, and I've got enough saved up now to do an online course in that field too, so I'm hoping that will push me a long a bit.

Been away from this thread for a while so bit of a late response but I feel your pain mate. I'm in a very similar situation to this and have been for a few years now. My job is a very cushy number but offers no fulfilment apart from security and decent salary (which is not to be sniffed at obviously). It's dull and unchallenging and kind of grinds you down after a while. I've had a lot of physical illnesses and injuries over the last 2-3 years which I'm starting to wonder might be connected. On the other hand quitting and doing what really interests me would involve a pay cut and lots of other changes that would bring other anxieties with them so sort of Catch 22 for me too. I've just taken on a voluntary project in the field that really interests me that I can do outside of work, and I've got enough saved up now to do an online course in that field too, so I'm hoping that will push me a long a bit.
Yeah I've had the same thing - I could of gone into my preferred field, but my wage would of dropped by a third. All I can really do is do odds and sods at work - the place isn't forward thinking enough to develop any projects going forward, so having to do bits for myself.

How timely are these posts.
I'm having a massive wobble due to family circumstances impacting upon myself and my wife.
Trying to tough it out at the moment thinking if I go to the quacks ill end up addicted to tranquilisers.

I'm having a massive wobble due to family circumstances impacting upon myself and my wife.
Trying to tough it out at the moment thinking if I go to the quacks ill end up addicted to tranquilisers.
Do you need to go down that route? It's good to talk mate believe me. Go and see a councellor and take your wife with you, the two off you together will get you through your problem, Im sure of it.

There are very strict guidelines re the prescribing of tranquilisers mate - max 3 / 4 wks.

Your GP will / should only issue them as a last resort as they are habit forming and a short fix only.

However if you reach a point where you think you can`t cope any longer, I`d ask your GP about them as a short term solution.

First time in over 10 years I've posted in here.

My cousin hung himself early hours of this morning, no warning signs, happy chap on the outside with a good job and seemingly no troubles. I'm absolutely heartbroken.

If anybody feel like they can't cope, please please PLEASE talk to somebody - no problems are insurmountable.
Hi my thoughts are with you you may need counselling, by a psychologist to help you and your family over this very difficult time - Your dr will throw pills at you, and they may help short term ask him for further help if you can, Its a devastating event be strong and my thoughts are with you , as I have and still am a sufferer of mental health in can show in many ways I have terrible anger attacks .... be strong it's a very difficult period of your life, and do not forget to look after yourself and other loved ones as a unit you can all help each other ..

First time in over 10 years I've posted in here.

My cousin hung himself early hours of this morning, no warning signs, happy chap on the outside with a good job and seemingly no troubles. I'm absolutely heartbroken.

If anybody feel like they can't cope, please please PLEASE talk to somebody - no problems are insurmountable.
Hi my thoughts are with you you may need counselling, by a psychologist to help you and your family over this very difficult time - Your dr will throw pills at you, and they may help short term ask him for further help if you can, Its a devastating event be strong and my thoughts are with you , as I have and still am a sufferer of mental health in can show in m,any ways I have terrible anger attacks .... be strong its a very difficult period of your life, and do not forget to look after yourself and other loved ones as a unit you can all help each other ..

Don't tough it out. Get the docs and get tge help like you would if you were passing blood. It is an illness mate. Get the docs and counselling.

Yeah I've had the same thing - I could of gone into my preferred field, but my wage would of dropped by a third. All I can really do is do odds and sods at work - the place isn't forward thinking enough to develop any projects going forward, so having to do bits for myself.
Is there anything you can do to fill up your time even if it isn't related to your job? Some other project from outside that interests you? In my opinion some kind of stimulation is a basic human need and if your job can't give it to you then you need to get it somewhere else. That's just my opinion though based on my own experience the last 2-3 years.

Don't tough it out. Get the docs and get tge help like you would if you were passing blood. It is an illness mate. Get the docs and counselling.
I think I'm in the classic situation of worrying about things that may never happen and if they do I've got no control over.
Not sleeping and lost almost a stone in weight in the past ten days.

I think I'm in the classic situation of worrying about things that may never happen and if they do I've got no control over.
Not sleeping and lost almost a stone in weight in the past ten days.

From my own personal experiences mate, if it continues you end up " becoming worried about being worried " and end up locked in a cycle that you can`t get out of, which in turn can lead to anxiety disorders.

From what you`re saying about the weight loss and sleep, I`d strongly advise going to your GP.

Be totally honest, as the more info you the GP has, the more he / she has to go on.

I`d think the bare minimum that he / she would do is prescribe you a short course of sleeping tablets and put you on the list for counselling.

From my own personal experiences mate, if it continues you end up " becoming worried about being worried " and end up locked in a cycle that you can`t get out of, which in turn can lead to anxiety disorders.

From what you`re saying about the weight loss and sleep, I`d strongly advise going to your GP.

Be totally honest, as the more info you the GP has, the more he / she has to go on.

I`d think the bare minimum that he / she would do is prescribe you a short course of sleeping tablets and put you on the list for counselling.
I'm thinking that I'll take your advice. Sounds the right option for me at present.
Thank you ever so much.

I'm thinking that I'll take your advice. Sounds the right option for me at present.
Thank you ever so much.

I`ve been there mate and I tried to fight it / hide it , which in the end made it much much worse.

Anxiety is very difficult to treat, so the sooner you start treating it, the better it will be in the long run.

Don`t be scared of any meds that you`re described, they`re not " happy pills ", but meds to try and get you back on even keel and feeling normal again.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Don`t worry about your GP, as I can guarantee that he / she will have treated many people with similar problems ;)

i was like this for years and couldn't sleep , couldn't even operate in the end, as it turned into severe depression and anxiety.

at the time you cant see a way out. I was forced to go to the docs through a friend contacting my parents, who then made me go..

this was about 2 years ago and my life has turned full circle , with the right medication and help you will be able to overcome it.

@tommytowne don't be afraid to go the docs and be as open as you can, tell them everything you feel and im sure they will get you right again

keep us posted

I`ve been there mate and I tried to fight it / hide it , which in the end made it much much worse.

Anxiety is very difficult to treat, so the sooner you start treating it, the better it will be in the long run.

Don`t be scared of any meds that you`re described, they`re not " happy pills ", but meds to try and get you back on even keel and feeling normal again.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Don`t worry about your GP, as I can guarantee that he / she will have treated many people with similar problems ;)
Do mate go to your GP, you will feel much better for it. You will probably cry but your GP will know exactly what to do. He/She will know exactly what you are there for before you even open your mouth as trust me they see it Daily.