Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Good luck to you too.

I had the first session yesterday. It was easier than I thought it would be to open up actually. I guess part of a therapists skills is getting a person to talk and she certainly had me spilling everything I was feeling. There were some tears and the counsellor made me think of certain events differently. These past few months I've been living with a knot in my stomach and always feeling tense but after the first two hour session I definitely felt like a weight had been lifted. I'm due to go back next week.

I almost cancelled the appointment but I'm glad I didn't. If anyone is feeling like they are not coping, take the step and find a professional to talk to.
I told you that you'd already done the hardest part, making first contact and starting to talk like you did on here is always most difficult, well done and good luck in the future.

To add to my earlier post about horse therapy, you DO NOT necessarily need a prescription or doctor referral to do this. I can almost guarantee that no matter where you are on the planet, that there is a horse rescue near you that could REALLY use a volunteer! And if you are in a big city, there will be a dog/cat rescue that could use some help, too.

I know this because I have been involved in animal rescue for many years and I am currently involved in horse rescue.

If anyone wants to try this and can't find a rescue to volunteer with, PM me. Most of my contacts are in the US, but I will do research to find one near you.

To add to my earlier post about horse therapy, you DO NOT necessarily need a prescription or doctor referral to do this. I can almost guarantee that no matter where you are on the planet, that there is a horse rescue near you that could REALLY use a volunteer! And if you are in a big city, there will be a dog/cat rescue that could use some help, too.

I know this because I have been involved in animal rescue for many years and I am currently involved in horse rescue.

If anyone wants to try this and can't find a rescue to volunteer with, PM me. Most of my contacts are in the US, but I will do research to find one near you.

The Dogs Trust in Huyton, is always after volunteer dog walkers, as is the Freshfield Animal Rescue Centre ;)

@Armel is a great advocate of this ;)

Yes big fan of horses. I own four. They have a very soothing influence. They have a particular way of existing. You don't even have to ride them. I sometimes do but I don't think it's the most interesting aspect. Caring for is great fun, as is ground work (my preferred activity is teaching them circus tricks-totally useless but I think it's funny.). I think in Europe it's a bit different than in the U.S.; over here the huge majority into horses are women so a lot of men don't really discover horses.

They also help to bring a bit of regularity into your life. I feed them two times a day. The last time mostly around 23.00. First time mostly somewhere during the morning. A bit like a dog. A larger version. They are more work in the winter; then you need to feed them hay; from March-April to October (depending on where you live off course) they mostly eat grass.

Yes big fan of horses. I own four. They have a very soothing influence. They have a particular way of existing. You don't even have to ride them. I sometimes do but I don't think it's the most interesting aspect. Caring for is great fun, as is ground work (my preferred activity is teaching them circus tricks-totally useless but I think it's funny.). I think in Europe it's a bit different than in the U.S.; over here the huge majority into horses are women so a lot of men don't really discover horses.

They also help to bring a bit of regularity into your life. I feed them two times a day. The last time mostly around 23.00. First time mostly somewhere during the morning. A bit like a dog. A larger version. They are more work in the winter; then you need to feed them hay; from March-April to October (depending on where you live off course) they mostly eat grass.

In some places in the UK, they use them as " therapy animals " for kids and young adults with autism, with some apparently outstanding, but not understood results.

As with everything over here, it`s all about the money.

In some places in the UK, they use them as " therapy animals " for kids and young adults with autism, with some apparently outstanding, but not understood results.

As with everything over here, it`s all about the money.

I work with kids in care and animals are great to have around. Animals are a far safer option than humans to many kids and it’s a great way to help them interact with something that doesn’t threaten them. I’m all for animal therapy if it put a smile on a kids face that spends their life feeling miserable.

I think this kind of thing will become more and more prevalent and mainstream in future. A lot to be discovered still.

Pscilocybin is also being used a lot to treat PTSD. It’s about time our drugs laws got a complete overhaul. Everyone needs to vote for parties that promise reviews of drugs laws. Unfortunately at the moment in the UK politicians are still too scared of the impact on voting of softening their stance.

I work with kids in care and animals are great to have around. Animals are a far safer option than humans to many kids and it’s a great way to help them interact with something that doesn’t threaten them. I’m all for animal therapy if it put a smile on a kids face that spends their life feeling miserable.

I do voluntary stuff at Alder Hey and when they bring the " petting dogs " onto the wards, even on the wards where the kids are seriously ill, the whole place gets a lift and everyone seems to forget about the bad stuff ( for a while at least ).

From talking to the dog handlers, they also take the dogs into old folks homes, with the same results.

Makes you wonder why certain animals in general ( dogs / horses in particular ) aren`t used in more therapeutic treatments ?

Last edited: