Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

My job has been very stressful. Very, very stressful. Due to the nature of the job, I cannot divulge anything but I have suffered poor health since Christmas and have only took time off in over a year due to my dad dying and that was only a couple of days - literally no holidays have been taken other than between Christmas and New Year. I just received confirmation that I passed the background checks from another job and it's a huge relief.

To all those with an awful job, you have my sympathy. Please change your job if it is causing a deterioration to your mental and physical well being like it has been with me.
Made up you've been able to start a new job. Quit my job in January. Anxiety it caused me was really bad. Unfortunately, not been able to find a job since. My depression moves in cycles. Trying to exercise to keep my mood from sinking. COVID and the isolation really affected me for the worse. Anyway, best of luck to you in the new job.

Made up you've been able to start a new job. Quit my job in January. Anxiety it caused me was really bad. Unfortunately, not been able to find a job since. My depression moves in cycles. Trying to exercise to keep my mood from sinking. COVID and the isolation really affected me for the worse. Anyway, best of luck to you in the new job.

That`s the problem with jobs and mental health - your job is making you ill, but you need a job to pay the bills / keep a roof over your head.

I`d wager that it`s a situation many thousands find themselves locked into, especially now with the pandemic.

No chance of any part time work mate ?

I went from a well paid job, which made me very ill, to a few years of part time jobs some of which I really enjoyed ( especially the driving jobs ).

Thanks. You have my sympathies. Like @COYBL25 says, jobs trap you in them to keep paying for all that stuff that requires money.

One of the things in my favour was that there seems to be a big uplift in job opportunities in my field in the last couple of weeks. But up until this month there's been nothing. I hope that the job market you are searching in is also going to see you back doing a job you can enjoy or at the very least doesn't add to your depression and anxiety.

My job has been very stressful. Very, very stressful. Due to the nature of the job, I cannot divulge anything but I have suffered poor health since Christmas and have only took time off in over a year due to my dad dying and that was only a couple of days - literally no holidays have been taken other than between Christmas and New Year. I just received confirmation that I passed the background checks from another job and it's a huge relief.

To all those with an awful job, you have my sympathy. Please change your job if it is causing a deterioration to your mental and physical well being like it has been with me.
Congratulations on the new job, mate. Having to basically swallow that amount of stress because you can’t live without the income is a dilemma that I think affects a lot of people. You’ve done absolutely the right thing in getting out as soon as you could.

Onwards and upwards from here, I look forward to hearing how the new gig goes and how much better your head space is.

From October last year to January this I was in my darkest ever hole. However somehow I dragged myself out. There were days when I woke in a morning and I was devastated I hadn't died in my sleep. Taking my own life was considered but dismissed equally quickly. I was in such a rut I could see no end. Then one day I'm not sure how or why it lifted. Now I'm not foolish enough to believe I won't fall again been here so many times before. Always know its starting with the comfort eating then the lack of general interest starts manifesting. I had people wanting to help but there was nothing they could do it was down to me. I'm back in control of the eating and also today I got a permanent job things look rosey but I'll never take it for granted. Please if you ever think about giving up use me as an example of why you shouldn't. I was so low I just wanted out now I just want to drive forward and make up for lost time. I nearly didn't apply for the job I was in that much of a way with myself but now I feel almost full circle.
Congrats on your new job @messymascot Your story is definitely inspiring and shows that even when someone hits bottom there still a way out, the important part is not to give up but I agree with Spotty that it is also crucial for you to let people in. These battles are more easily fought when you have people by your side so don't forget that.

Having a very unpleasant day. Been crying all morning. Feel hopeless.
Mate, I'm sorry you are feeling so down. Life can be hard at times and sometimes shedding tears is a way to release ourselves from our suffering. Expressing your feelings here can also be very helpful, there are so many people at GOT that have great knowledge with mental health issues and that will reach out to you with very good advise so know that you are not alone.

Sorry to hear it, mate. Going back to your prior post you said you'd been trying exercise to help your mood. Can you get out for some fresh air? I know it won't cure all of your ills, but hopefully just being present and being in nature might take your mind off things, at least.

I know when I get feelings of hopelessness it is pretty much always around things I have no direct control over. I don't know if this is the same for you, but if it is I can offer no better advice than to just focus on what you CAN do. Pick anything, no matter how simple, you CAN control and let that be your focus. Choose a movie to watch, a book to read or an album to listen to. Choose what you're having for dinner...

This day is salvageable for you, mate. I hope it gets better.

So sorry to hear that you are having a really bad time. Life can seem hopeless at times but know that it will get better for you. Cry if you want, as Sassy says, it is a release and that is a good thing. There is some great advice on here and always someone willing to listen. All the best.

Sennott, have you got support, from family or friends. If you have and your able, call them, visit them. Tell them how you are feeling. Being with someone has many advantages. Three of which are you can relax feeling safe and you can talk to them. Two, they can keep an eye on you, and three, if you don't feel able to talk to people they can act as an advocate for you. You can contact your GP, or speak to your support services if you have them. If you can call the Samaratins and they will listen and point you in the right direction. Are you known to mental health services m8. Have you been prescribed meds and have you stopped taking them. If your meds don't work, speak to your GP about a possible change or a possible dose change. Remember, in mental health, one prescription doesn't fit all. You have very specific needs, so please please talk to someone. I guarantee buddy, people do want to help but, they need to know what's going on. COMMINICATION IS THE most important aspect of mental health care, for people experiencing the problem and those providing the care. Speak to someone my friend, share your problems. One piece of advice I would specifically like you take on board. It is VERY important you are not stuck thinking about " bad things, thinking about how bad your situation is ' all the time, 24 / 7. You need a distraction and people can help you find that release. My patient said to me the other day " Terry, I'm sick to death of talking and thinking about my mental health issues ". THIS is my point, try to distract yourself, listen to music, go for a walk, a swim or excercise. All of these are helpful but first and foremost, your safety and finding some peace of mind is paramount. Stick with it buddy, you can get help from people who want to give it. Just please, let people know your struggling and you need help. Good luck and take care buddy.

Fox in peace.

I hope you don't mind me posting on here but I have a question: Do you find that your mental health is in any way tied-in to how your team is doing? I know we all make throwaway remarks about our team depressing us, but recently it's become quite apparent to me that Leicester's results make a real difference to the severity of my condition. I've been so low in the days after Friday's debacle against Newcastle (Newcastle, ffs) yet tonight I feel like a different man.

I hope you are all feeling well.
Yes I think it does. I live in the north east and it was always said that Nissan's productivity directly related to Sunderland's results (They can't have been making many cars in the last few years!!) I think lockdown and not being able to go out has magnified that. Watching football is probably the only fun thing we've been doing (the word fun is used very loosely here!) With nothing else to look forward to, winning or losing sets the tone for your weekend. A win cheers you up a bit, a loss just adds to the misery.

Really feel for you mate but even reaching out on here is a small step forward, I cannot really add to the good advice the other posters on here have given you, as far as a job is concerned keep plugging away, try to stay positive, make sure you look after yourself and at some point the tide will turn.
Keep posting on here when you feel the need to, someone will always get back to you.
Good luck mate.

Posted this link the other day on the Football 20-21 thread. I thought that maybe I should put on this thread too as it could prove useful to some who come on here.

The story of Andy Morrison is one worth relaying I think. A rolling ball of confusion and anger who was searching for guidance to address his wild and self destructive behaviour.

Was a Tangerine war machine (see pic) well liked by the fans and captain of the team during a rumbustious period for BFC in the mid 90s under the management of Sam Allardyce. It didn't end well.

A few years later at Manchester City he was taken aside by another former Toffee manager, and legend, Joe Royle who gave AM a chance to talk through his problems which helped and inspired Morrison to take the road which has led to his success in management today.

1621086813248.png