Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Spot on that mate and a fantastic example of how making that call can make all the difference.

Take care mate and keep us posted on how you get on.
Thanks mate.

100% pick up that phone. There’s no judgement from the people on the other end. They’re there to help and thanks to them I jumped the queue to get some counselling.

It’s been almost three years since I posted in this thread but recently my mental health took a huge nose dive which resulted in me having to go to A&E and tell them that I am at crisis point. I was suicidal and having a complete mental breakdown.

I won’t go into the details but I will say that I suffer with extreme OCD.

I also had to make a couple of phone calls to the Merseycare Urgent Help team.

I don’t really know what I’m trying to say here but please do not let yourself get to the point I was at. Talk to people about whatever is on your mind.

It’s so easy to get caught up in whatever it is that is getting to you that you lose sight of everything else.

Without the help of the A&E staff and the Merseycare team, I honestly don’t think I would be here today.

Depression and anxiety can come at you from nowhere, without any warning signs.

One day I was enjoying Everton beat Wolves, everything was going great in work, in my personal life, etc, and then within a few days I’m in A&E.

I always thought it would be very awkward to phone up a mental health line to talk but they are the kindest people you can imagine. They pulled me back from the edge. I would not be here right now without them phone calls because my own mind would’ve convinced me that it’s better off if I wasn’t here. If you feel you can’t talk to anyone, then talk to them.

I’ve only had experience with Merseycare but I am sure they are all equally as brilliant.

Going forward, I now have weekly counselling which I am very grateful for.

Times are tough right now, so please look after yourself.
Gladys as you probably know, the causes for OCD are unknown. Lots of theories abound, that it's often hereditary, chemical balance but I've always subscribed to the anxiety theory. A lack of control in your life. Everyone, you me everyone, feel a little better when we have that reasurence in our life, I won't lose control, and that can manifest in you thinking " if I do this or that, it will make things all right. The problems arise when your unable to do things - switch on the light switch six times, open and shut doors etc - that you feel you have no control. It's irrational but to you it's very very important. CBT is often prescribed as well as medication. It is though an often lengthy process working with a health professional. If you can, if you aren't already, develop a plan for when you start to feel anxious. Talking to someone who is familiar with your situation, who can give you the reasurence you need Revert back if you can to what has worked before, what helps you relax, breathing techniques, music, mindfulness. We all have different ways to relax
It's just important that your able to access the things that work. Your the expert buddy, you know what makes things worse for you, situations to avoid and what normally works for you. There is medication available that for some has proven therapeutic, but, it's often suggested it's used as an adjunct with some sort of therapy. I apologise if your aware of this and I'm sure the crisis team has worked in depth with you. It's just trying to recognise the signs that your becoming poorly are - triggers - and be pro active in stopping you deteriorate. You live with this illness, and therefore you already have the personal traits needed to recover. You have given good advice to others on here and you should be applauded for sharing your experiences about what is often a very debilitating illness. Good luck buddy

A good and honest post mate. I haven't got quite to your point in life but I have found it hard to get much help when needed. Most people have just shrugged there shoulders at me and told me to man up.
I'm don't live on Merseyside though. It must of been scary going into A&E . Good on you though.
Mental illness doesn’t discriminate. There’s no ‘manning up’ about it and the people who have told you that need to educate themselves about the subject.

It was scary going to A&E but I had the full support of my family because the alternative would have destroyed their lives.

Try and find whatever local service is in your area mate and give them a ring. As I said above, it took me to reach out for help to queue jump on getting myself some counselling.

You’ll get there, mate. Don’t give up on it.

Gladys as you probably know, the causes for OCD are unknown. Lots of theories abound, that it's often hereditary, chemical balance but I've always subscribed to the anxiety theory. A lack of control in your life. Everyone, you me everyone, feel a little better when we have that reasurence in our life, I won't lose control, and that can manifest in you thinking " if I do this or that, it will make things all right. The problems arise when your unable to do things - switch on the light switch six times, open and shut doors etc - that you feel you have no control. It's irrational but to you it's very very important. CBT is often prescribed as well as medication. It is though an often lengthy process working with a health professional. If you can, if you aren't already, develop a plan for when you start to feel anxious. Talking to someone who is familiar with your situation, who can give you the reasurence you need Revert back if you can to what has worked before, what helps you relax, breathing techniques, music, mindfulness. We all have different ways to relax
It's just important that your able to access the things that work. Your the expert buddy, you know what makes things worse for you, situations to avoid and what normally works for you. There is medication available that for some has proven therapeutic, but, it's often suggested it's used as an adjunct with some sort of therapy. I apologise if your aware of this and I'm sure the crisis team has worked in depth with you. It's just trying to recognise the signs that your becoming poorly are - triggers - and be pro active in stopping you deteriorate. You live with this illness, and therefore you already have the personal traits needed to recover. You have given good advice to others on here and you should be applauded for sharing your experiences about what is often a very debilitating illness. Good luck buddy
Thanks for the kind words mate.

I think with my OCD it was making my world very limited because I had my safety behaviours that I felt suddenly had been compromised.

I’m at the beginning of some CBT now but my counsellor has told me that ‘safety behaviours’ are ironically what makes people with OCD feel very unsafe.

This lockdown hasn’t helped, tbh because I am less exposed to things because I’m working from home.

A good and honest post mate. I haven't got quite to your point in life but I have found it hard to get much help when needed. Most people have just shrugged there shoulders at me and told me to man up.
I'm don't live on Merseyside though. It must of been scary going into A&E . Good on you though.
David, if you struggle to communicate that your not very well, how about write it down on a piece of paper and give it to a friend, loved one or health professional. How about something like:

"Hi, I'm struggling with my mental health, I don't feel very good, can you help me please".

Many people struggle to communicate verbally, but there are other options like writing notes. Take care mate..

Thanks for the kind words mate.

I think with my OCD it was making my world very limited because I had my safety behaviours that I felt suddenly had been compromised.

I’m at the beginning of some CBT now but my counsellor has told me that ‘safety behaviours’ are ironically what makes people with OCD feel very unsafe.

This lockdown hasn’t helped, tbh because I am less exposed to things because I’m working from home.
Keep asking for support from friends and loved ones. As you know, the recovery process involves having blips, it's called life I suppose. Stick with it mate I'm sure you'll get there.

It’s been almost three years since I posted in this thread but recently my mental health took a huge nose dive which resulted in me having to go to A&E and tell them that I am at crisis point. I was suicidal and having a complete mental breakdown.

I don’t really know what I’m trying to say here but please do not let yourself get to the point I was at. Talk to people about whatever is on your mind.

It’s so easy to get caught up in whatever it is that is getting to you that you lose sight of everything else.

Without the help of the A&E staff and the Merseycare team, I honestly don’t think I would be here today.

One day I was enjoying Everton beat Wolves, everything was going great in work, in my personal life, etc, and then within a few days I’m in A&E.

I always thought it would be very awkward to phone up a mental health line to talk but they are the kindest people you can imagine. They pulled me back from the edge. I would not be here right now without them phone calls because my own mind would’ve convinced me that it’s better off if I wasn’t here. If you feel you can’t talk to anyone, then talk to them.

I’ve only had experience with Merseycare but I am sure they are all equally as brilliant.

Great post mate, you spoke well there and your post will undoubtedly help others who are going through a tough time. You did the correct thing there when you hit a low you have to be brave and reach out for help there are so
many decent people and organisations who will listen, understand and help.
It's says a lot about you that you are thinking of others when you've had a dip yourself.
Take care mate you're proving to yourself you're strong and going in the right direction, good luck, keep us posted .

Well done to you for recognising the warning signs and getting yourself help. I’m sure I speak for everyone here when I say I’m glad you made that call and that you’re still here, and I look forward to hearing more about your progress as the weeks go on.

Good luck, mate.

Great post mate, you spoke well there and your post will undoubtedly help others who are going through a tough time. You did the correct thing there when you hit a low you have to be brave and reach out for help there are so
many decent people and organisations who will listen, understand and help.
It's says a lot about you that you are thinking of others when you've had a dip yourself.
Take care mate you're proving to yourself you're strong and going in the right direction, good luck, keep us posted .
Thanks mate.

Such an eloquently put post GB. You should be very proud of getting yourself assistance and remember, the world is a far healthier, stronger place with you in it. Please keep us up to date with how you're doing mate.

I have anxiety, but not the bad kind. Anxiety makes me obsessive which Is why i do well in certain things.

But my wife suffers from a more damaging type of anxiety. Constant worry. Everything is gloom and doom. We are only in our mid 30s and she constantly worries about everything. We don't go out at night. She is scared of flying, driving, any pain she thinks it's a a deathly illness etc. It affects her in every way.

My 12 year old daughter went through depression last year, before the pandemic. She was having a lot of identity problems and her mom, my ex wife, was not supportive and made things worse. She was placed in a 72 hour institution and she also ran away from her mom's at 3 am to come to.me. The pandemic actually helped since she was able to spend time with me and at my home. She is doing a lot better now but I always stay alert.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with that situation mate. That sounds challenging to say the very least but you're clearly taking it in good stead.

Noticed 90% of your post wasn't about you though, which is understandable. What about you? How you holding up?