Did we chase Martinez out too soon?

Are the fans to blame for Everton right now?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tippy tappy sideways football had the fans fuming people have short memories remember his post match interviews near the end wild eyed and unshaven Roberto had to go he had lost his mind

Only managers we chased too soon were Koeman and Alladyce imo.

Koeman was shafted by Walsh that summer signing abar 5 no10's and not replacing Lukaku and Alladyce took a worse side than what we have now to 8th in the table.
If only Koeman would of treated our sweet prince Niasse with some dignity.

Bournemouth match oh boy what a memory !

I miss Niasse.

Effort for days in that one. Something severely lacking.

Sam, come on now that’s just silly.

Tosun……..

No. In fact, I'd say we gave Martinez six months more than he deserved. The second half of his second season was awful and the string of poor results, taken alongside his insistence on signing half the Wigan squad that he got relegated the year before, should have been seen as a clear indicator that things were amiss.

He got given the benefit of the doubt in the summer between his second and third seasons, probably due to misplaced notions that the results and performances in the first season were his "norm". However by the time we'd reached November in his third season Martinez had ripped the guts out of the defence Moyes had built and was telling anyone who would listen that Tom Cleverley and Aiden McGeady were CL- standard players. In retrospect he should have been booted out in the summer after his second season, but I'm amazed he didn't get the chop in December of his third season, giving a new man the January window to steady the ship.

Koeman certainly wasted more money than Martinez and accelerated the decline, but make no mistake: the rot started with Martinez. A manager who got Wigan relegated. If he was good enough to keep them up, then the players must have been cack and we shouldn't have signed them. But if the likes of Kone, Alcaraz and McCarthy were good enough to stay up then Martinez must have been inferior and we shouldn't have given him the keys to Finch Farm. Bill went all in, signing a relegated manager and giving him permission to sign half his relegated squad - utter stupidity, with utterly predictable results.
Long time ago now... But if I remember correctly Martinez dragged Wigan out of trouble a few times before finally getting relegated. They hit form late in the season for a few years running.

The football we played in his first season was absolutely brilliant.

I think his downfall was that he played just one way, and once people sussed out how to counter it he was toast.

Just think if he had bought Van Dijk instead of Funes Mori how different the outcome might have been!

Just makes you realise how many bad signings we've made after Moyes left. Thats really the source of all our problems.
With our luck, if we'd have bought VVD we'd have probably just turned him into Michael Keane in the space of a year or so. Then dropped £30m on Michael Keane anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.