Deulofeu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically, if we could swap Iwobi or Walcott and Tosun, plus £10/15m for Zaha, and maybe Bolasie or Sigurdsson and £10m for Deulofeu, we have improved 2 positions for relatively small outlay and removed 3 unwanted players in the process, so would likely break even or possibly even save on wages.

Hypothetically, if we could rub a genie's lamp and make a wish to be guaranteed superb fully developed players coming through the youth academy every year we have improved 11 positions for a relatively small outlay.

It's a slightly more realistic proposition than a swap deal involving Crystal Palace or Championship Watford being able to, or wanting to, take on the wages of the busted flushes you've mentioned.

The ACL is obviously a massive problem, but his cardio/fitness seemed a lot better at Watford? Think he played 90mins more often than not.
Thing is not every 90 minutes is the same. When he plays a full game he often drifted out of the play and became anonymous. Unless we manage a miraculous clear out we have enough of those already.

Hypothetically, if we could rub a genie's lamp and make a wish to be guaranteed superb fully developed players coming through the youth academy every year we have improved 11 positions for a relatively small outlay.

It's a slightly more realistic proposition than a swap deal involving Crystal Palace or Championship Watford being able to, or wanting to, take on the wages of the busted flushes you've mentioned.

My point was to say maybe we could investigate the possibility of using swap deals to reduce transfer fees for players who could potentially improve us in some way and are likely available. The players mentioned and fees in question for swap deals, were possibilities based on players we are likely going to try and move on, and who's next contract, no matter who it ends up being with, is definitely going to be less than the 1 they are on now. Certainly in the cases of Bolasie, Sigurdsson, Walcott and Tosun, who with age, combined with performances and/or injury problems will be on their way down rather than up.

And whilst you are right, that Watford having been relegated, may struggle to afford such wages, they will also be struggling to keep players like Deulofeu, who will likely have some form of relegation release clause in his contract. So maybe we could afford to buy him outright for less.

As for your other point, I for 1 would be delighted if we could bring through 11 youth prospects who would improve the side. I have continually championed giving youth players opportunities, including those i don't believe have yet been given fair chances and have proven to have ability, like Dowell for example. However, the only way players like that will be able to prove they are ready and grow into top players is to be given opportunities in the 1st place.

But lots of people are quick to judge players at a young age, with little or no experience, and assume that they are not good enough based on fleeting glimpses, and would instead, choose to spend tens of millions on other players from different leagues, also based on fleeting glimpses, because they have exciting reputations. Reputation that could only be formed by being given the same opportunities to grow elsewhere.

So yeah, I would suggest the possibility of us signing 2 players, players who have either been heavily linked with us in the recent past, or who have previously played for us, and who would jump at the chance to join us and play under 1 of the best managers in the world, is slightly more realistic than finding 11 ready made players in the youth team.

And that's ignoring the whole genies lamp thing as well.

I'd take him in a cut price deal, definitely. He's basically a younger replacement for Walcott, but with arguably better end product and still the potential to get better. We don't have anybody in the squad who carries the ball as good as him, or anyone who sees and plays the killer pass well as he does.

As with the Zaha deal, I wouldn't specifically go out and pay top dollar for him, but if we can come to some agreement, maybe a player exchange and minimal fee to pay, why not?

Hypothetically, if we could swap Iwobi or Walcott and Tosun, plus £10/15m for Zaha, and maybe Bolasie or Sigurdsson and £10m for Deulofeu, we have improved 2 positions for relatively small outlay and removed 3 unwanted players in the process, so would likely break even or possibly even save on wages.

I think we need to have ambition, but it needs to be tempered in some semblance of financial reality. We can't just add 5 or 6 £40m superstars to our squad and keep the rest, and we will struggle to shift some of the deadwood, so picking up some cheaper, known quantity alternatives and trying to think of ways to work around it so we can focus our intentions on areas that need it the most is the best way to go. It's probably going to be incremental and take a few years of steady improvement, it won't happen in 1 rushed summer.
Hypothetical is the word. Tosun won't pass a medical.

Hypothetical is the word. Tosun won't pass a medical.

Possibly. And again, I only used him in the example as Palace clearly wanted him before. There are lots of possibilities in terms of exploring player trades for a player who is clearly set on moving on.

I happen to think, with the uncertainty regarding finances that has unfolded with COVID coupled with the reduced transfer window, there could be much more scope for player trades as clubs will want ready made replacements or other areas reinforced in as short a turnaround as possible. Teams can't afford to lose players and not then have the time to complete transfers and leave themselves short.

I guess we will have to just wait and see what happens.

Deulofeu good player but only a 70min player & very injury prone... Swerve.

Thats still about 65 minutes more than most of our dont turn up at all midfield.
Interestingly his last game was the 3-0 win over liverpool. Got injured and their form disapeared.

Prior to his injury the idea wouldn’t have been that absurd. He was doing very well for an absolutely crap team like Watford.

We are not, to my knowledge ,linked to this player.
He has one lung (still).
He still runs into dead ends .
He is seriously broken at the moment and the season is 7 weeks away.
He is a Watford player .
Why does this thread even exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.