Deulofeu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point was to say maybe we could investigate the possibility of using swap deals to reduce transfer fees for players who could potentially improve us in some way and are likely available. The players mentioned and fees in question for swap deals, were possibilities based on players we are likely going to try and move on, and who's next contract, no matter who it ends up being with, is definitely going to be less than the 1 they are on now. Certainly in the cases of Bolasie, Sigurdsson, Walcott and Tosun, who with age, combined with performances and/or injury problems will be on their way down rather than up.

And whilst you are right, that Watford having been relegated, may struggle to afford such wages, they will also be struggling to keep players like Deulofeu, who will likely have some form of relegation release clause in his contract. So maybe we could afford to buy him outright for less.

As for your other point, I for 1 would be delighted if we could bring through 11 youth prospects who would improve the side. I have continually championed giving youth players opportunities, including those i don't believe have yet been given fair chances and have proven to have ability, like Dowell for example. However, the only way players like that will be able to prove they are ready and grow into top players is to be given opportunities in the 1st place.

But lots of people are quick to judge players at a young age, with little or no experience, and assume that they are not good enough based on fleeting glimpses, and would instead, choose to spend tens of millions on other players from different leagues, also based on fleeting glimpses, because they have exciting reputations. Reputation that could only be formed by being given the same opportunities to grow elsewhere.

So yeah, I would suggest the possibility of us signing 2 players, players who have either been heavily linked with us in the recent past, or who have previously played for us, and who would jump at the chance to join us and play under 1 of the best managers in the world, is slightly more realistic than finding 11 ready made players in the youth team.

And that's ignoring the whole genies lamp thing as well.

And my point is that moving those players is still hindered by their current contracts. If we could sell any of them tomorrow the current contract they have would still have to be settled in some way regardless of what their next contract would be. That's why it's rare that players put in official transfer requests and instead down tools - they don't want to lose legal claim to money owed for the full duration of the contract they signed.

And as such these out of form or injury prone players have pretty much no transfer value in a swap deal. This busted flush element means the value of the player as an asset is dwarfed by the liability of his contract.

If Palace decided to take Tosun for example then he is unlikely to give up claim to the money that he is contractually entitled to from Everton. As such that money has to come from somewhere. If Everton settle it then Palace might pay a few million but that's pretty much gobbled up by settling his contract. If Palace agree to cover the contract to get the move through then it would be at the expense of the transfer fee which would probably drop down to near nothing.

There's a reason we have £20M+ players like Schneiderlin going for nominal fees and can't get shut of Niasse's until their contract is expired. Their transfer value is negated by huge contractual liability.

So they aren't going to offer any kind of value in a swap deal - it's a fantasy much like Genie's lamps.

A bucket with a small hole is better than a bucket with a large hole.

They're still both irredeemably flawed.
I dont see how anyone can say that. Wingers aren't spot on all the time. Deulofeu creates enough in a game to easily justify a place in most PL teams.

And my point is that moving those players is still hindered by their current contracts. If we could sell any of them tomorrow the current contract they have would still have to be settled in some way regardless of what their next contract would be. That's why it's rare that players put in official transfer requests and instead down tools - they don't want to lose legal claim to money owed for the full duration of the contract they signed.

And as such these out of form or injury prone players have pretty much no transfer value in a swap deal. This busted flush element means the value of the player as an asset is dwarfed by the liability of his contract.

If Palace decided to take Tosun for example then he is unlikely to give up claim to the money that he is contractually entitled to from Everton. As such that money has to come from somewhere. If Everton settle it then Palace might pay a few million but that's pretty much gobbled up by settling his contract. If Palace agree to cover the contract to get the move through then it would be at the expense of the transfer fee which would probably drop down to near nothing.

There's a reason we have £20M+ players like Schneiderlin going for nominal fees and can't get shut of Niasse's until their contract is expired. Their transfer value is negated by huge contractual liability.

So they aren't going to offer any kind of value in a swap deal - it's a fantasy much like Genie's lamps.

So whenever you sell or swap a player, they have the remainder of their contract paid up by the team they leave? My understanding was that if you leave to sign a new contract with another club, this would supercede any existing contract. So for instance, if Sigurdsson or Tosun have 1 year left on the contracts at Everton for say £100k per week, if they are used in a trade, the value of the transfer fee is instead used as a make weight in the total cost of the fee of the player you are signing. They would then, if they choose to leave as you rightly point out, sign a new contract with the team they move to. In this instance, let's say Palace offer either of them £60k per week for 3 years. They would then have the decision to make of £100k guaranteed for 1 year, or a new contract, worth less in the same time period, but guaranteeing them an aditial £20-80k over the course of the new contract.

Maybe this is simply my misunderstanding of the way these things work, but I have never heard of the outgoing team paying the remainder of a players contract in the event of a transfer before, unless the club are trying to cancel the full length of the contract before it is due to end, in which case the contract would obviously protect the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.