Derek Mountfield Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Met Degsy whilst doing a podcast with my brother and another lad 2 years ago,such a brilliant guy loved the bones of the blues and was gutted when Everton let him go ,when Villa beat us 6-2 and he scored he said it was a two fingers up to those at Everton who thought he was finished ,but what a defender ,let go too early

Great player and nice fella by all accounts.

Good goal scoring CB, last one we had was Lescott, it’s been a while.

Met Degsy whilst doing a podcast with my brother and another lad 2 years ago,such a brilliant guy loved the bones of the blues and was gutted when Everton let him go ,when Villa beat us 6-2 and he scored he said it was a two fingers up to those at Everton who thought he was finished ,but what a defender ,let go too early

That match defined the beginning of an era for me, terrible result..

I never truly forgave Watson for taking his place. Irrational but true.

I know exactly what you mean, for me Mountfield was the better centre half ( I know some won't agree!), but him and Ratcliffe were superb together! He was also a regular contributor in the goals for column, fantastic but somewhat underrated player!

Smashing fella.

His sister in law lives out here in Dubai so he gets over quite a bit. Loves his golf so he's usually out on the course, loves coming down the pub to watch the match when he's here. Time for absolutely everybody that wants to talk Everton.

An absolute gent

I was right behind the goal at Villa Park when he scored ‘that goal’.
Seemed to be in slow motion until it hit the net, then everyone went crazy.
The rest is history.
Got to go down as one of the best celebrations that day we seemed dead and buried then as we all no degsy puts us us to Wembley abolsolute bedlam in and the around the ground the sign of an amazing team never gave up that for me is why he go's down as a legend for our club .And why we get frustrated with these players we have had over the last few years cos we want our kids to experience what we were lucky enough to

You are not on your own mate. I also held an irrational grudge against Watson for replacing Degsy.
Showed what character Waggy had to eventually win the fans over,I have to admit I never wanted Waggy to replace Degsy,but what a great career he eventually had with us,Degsy though for two/three seasons was a one off, often arriving late from set pieces as defenders were looking out for Sharpie and Gray!

Because we were spoilt little so-and-sos after the mid 80's. When we had a player who could challenge for titles, we expected to have even better. Didn't appreciate him until he was gone.
I don't think you can blame the fans for that one .
Howard was a brilliant manager but like all managers he made mistakes this was one of them alongside getting shut of Andy Gray to early .

that moment of mayhem

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181019-001619_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20181019-001619_YouTube.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 35

Status
Not open for further replies.