Transfer Rumour Denzel Dumfries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the highlights of the Holland game and can only assume that they cut out all the best bits of Denzel Dumfries because, besides missing two sitters and scoring a goal that the keeper pretty much 'flapped' into the net, I didn't see that much from the lad to get excited about.

That’s the problem with only watching the highlights I suppose. The lad was their biggest attacking threat all game, pretty much everything they did went down that side.

@zat hahaha
Ive NEVER said he was "crap".

Ive said he and Celik arent for me...'average' right backs we should be looking for the best around.

Ive not seen this match today for a shocking Dutch side against the worst Ukraine team.

Assume he was, quick, strong, physical, direct and full of desire? The strong points i highlighted.

Id be surprised if he played any great passes, put in good crosses or showed strong technical ability.
we ain’t going to be able to get the best around at top prices without Europe now. I have watched Aarons alot and I wouldn’t say he is worth an extra 20 million. He is just what we need

You two seem to love him after watching one game...that i didnt bother watching.

As @Eggs would say...

Premature evaluation :p

…ha, ha from the bits I saw, I quite liked him too, Zat. Some size & power. Immediately noticed how positive he was when not in possession. When the ball was on the other flank, he was getting into attacking positions down the right.

Very keen to get forward and ok in possession too, easily linking with teammates (not the quality of Digne, but adequate).

Running power to quickly get back, he made the pitch look small. A lot to like.

Last edited:
…ha, ha from the bits I saw, I quite liked him too, Zat. Some size & power. Immediately noticed how positive he was when not in possession. When the ball was on the other flank, he was getting into attacking positions down the right.

Very keen to get forward and ok in possession too, easily linking with teammates (not the quality of Digne, but adequate).

(Edit - only just seen he scored the winner, which doesn’t surprise me given my comments above. Might make it more difficult to acquire him).

Ive NEVER said he was "crap".

Ive said he and Celik arent for me...'average' right backs we should be looking for the best around.

Ive not seen this match today for a shocking Dutch side against the worst Ukraine team.

Assume he was, quick, strong, physical, direct and full of desire? The strong points i highlighted.

Id be surprised if he played any great passes, put in good crosses or showed strong technical ability.
"Dumfries cant cross a ball effectively more than 2 feet off the air. Not the best ball control or technique either."

"Dumfries cant cross a ball effectively more than 2 feet off the air. Not the best ball control or technique either."
Seamus needs to work on his crosses as well...but Seamus is a club legend... and so, despite his similar shortcoming, there is no reason Dumfries cannot follow in those footsteps. I foresee another club legend is on the way

NSNO

@zat hahaha

we ain’t going to be able to get the best around at top prices without Europe now. I have watched Aarons alot and I wouldn’t say he is worth an extra 20 million. He is just what we need

Yeah hes probably not worth £20mil more.

For me though, i would pay the English premium + for potential.

Other than alot of people here I do actually like signing English players 'who may' turn out to be quality like Godfrey.

(Edit - only just seen he scored the winner, which doesn’t surprise me given my comments above. Might make it more difficult to acquire him).

I didnt watch the game last night but yeah hes got all the physical attributes and also looks strong mentally.

You mention he "easily linked with teammates" (not quality of digne but adequate). Thats where i see him lacking in the premier league.

He seems to have done well against a poor Ukraine side...probably similar in how he does in Holland.

There will probably be lots of praise for him after the austria and macedonia games as well...

Lets see how he does if/when they come up against one of the better teams. Thats the time to judge.

Correct.

First time I've seen him play 90 mins

I can understand what we see in him - seems a natural as a wing back, which isn't always the case for some full backs. Very quick, very powerful, good engine. I would imagine the height and aerial ability is a major bonus too and probably helps a lot in a back 4.

Between the YouTube highlights and last night, I can see the reservations too though - not especially silky with the ball, doesn't seem to ever put crosses in at head height, they all seem to be either cut backs or low crosses, and whilst there's nothing necessarily wrong with that it might not get the best out of people like DCL and Richarlison.

Still, if the price of about 15m euros is correct, I can understand the attraction

Status
Not open for further replies.