2022/23 Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would’ve stayed up even if we lost that game.
Only at the end though, did we know that.

We are a side struggling for goals, and points. Every point matters.

I'm no Gray fan by any stretch. But I wouldn't sell him just to sell him. We could, and have proven so numerous times recently, do much much worse

Just to play devil's advocate, off the top of my head, Gray's delivery saved us from relegation two seasons ago. And he definitely got us a point at City this past season
While true, if Maupay scored in the season finale we still wouldnt want to keep him. Scoring 1 goal 2 seasons ago doesnt make up for all of the points dropped otherwise and even BEING in that position. If Gray gets you 2 points and someone else would have gotten you 10, then theres no sense in keeping Gray.

While true, if Maupay scored in the season finale we still wouldnt want to keep him. Scoring 1 goal 2 seasons ago doesnt make up for all of the points dropped otherwise and even BEING in that position. If Gray gets you 2 points and someone else would have gotten you 10, then theres no sense in keeping Gray.
That’s conjecture though. How many points did we drop because of Gray? We dropped points because we had no decent out and out striker for most of the season, and teams pressed us knowing that we didn’t score goals. Gray is a winger, and wingers don’t often win games without someone to create chances for. Wingers are measured by assists, not goals, and ours can’t create assists without a target man.
We’ll only know how effective Gray is when we have a decent goal-scoring centre forward on the pitch.

That’s conjecture though. How many points did we drop because of Gray? We dropped points because we had no decent out and out striker for most of the season, and teams pressed us knowing that we didn’t score goals. Gray is a winger, and wingers don’t often win games without someone to create chances for. Wingers are measured by assists, not goals, and ours can’t create assists without a target man.
We’ll only know how effective Gray is when we have a decent goal-scoring centre forward on the pitch.

Gray had the same amount of assists as Michael Keane. And wingers should definitely score btw.

Not a fan of Andrei Kanchelskis i see.

Gray had the same amount of assists as Michael Keane. And wingers should definitely score btw.
But that’s the point I’m making…no one is going to have lots of assists if there’s no striker ahead of them and no one in the box to supply to.
I also agree that wingers score goals, but usually when there is a target man to distract defenders. You could put Kanchelskis in this team and he wouldn’t score because opponents could put two or three markers on him, knowing that we had no one else worth marking anyway.

Not a fan of Andrei Kanchelskis i see.
Ha, you beat me to it my friend..my reply to Mike’s post referred to Kanchelskis, who I was definitely a fan of. But Kanchelskis played in a side with strikers on the pitch, and that gives defenders something else to think about and therefore allows openings for wingers.
I do however wish we could swap Gray, or anyone else in the team, for a young Kanchelskis. Or even an old Kanchelskis!

Thats conjecture. I only know that contributing 2 points to our survival isnt good for one of the 3 main attackers. 8-9 other guys on the team managed to do it.

If you wish to believe that for the first time in his career he could have a good season if maybe he was in the right situation have at it, but making financial decisions on your conjecture seems very unwise to me.

But that’s the point I’m making…no one is going to have lots of assists if there’s no striker ahead of them and no one in the box to supply to.
I also agree that wingers score goals, but usually when there is a target man to distract defenders. You could put Kanchelskis in this team and he wouldn’t score because opponents could put two or three markers on him, knowing that we had no one else worth marking anyway.

Gray didn’t score or assist at Leicester when he played alongside Vardy.

Gray played a huge part in the equaliser v Wolves this season. Sprinted after the ball to take the throw in resulting from his cleared corner then had the composure to steady himself and pick out Keane at the back post. Without him we lose that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.