2022/23 Dele Alli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I have got a clear conscience as I've backed him all the way, to me whatever happens that 45 against Palace was worth any wages we have or will pay.

I would love for him to come good here but I still believe the biggest block to his mental wellbeing from a career standpoint at least is the make up of his deal. We'll still be hesitant to play him regularly to build confidence and form so it's unlikely we can ever see the best of him here, will other clubs seeing that interview want to take him on now? Possibly. I think it's gone from a 10% chance to something a bit more healthy.

Hopefully he shows blistering form in the later preseason games to force his way into the thinking, but if not I still hope he can rebuild his career somewhere and have another 6 or so years showing his earlier form else he won't have lived up to his full potential. If that doesn't happen then I hope he finds the inner peace to live a normal life. He has done remarkably well to come from that upbringing to achieve what he has already so he should be applauded and feel proud even if it doesn't work from a footballing point of view going forward.

Because we are not a charity organisation and can absolutely not afford to be one now. Im aware its cold to say, but he is not our responsibility - Dele going to rehab doesnt change that. We have paid him handsomely to do borderline nothing and I see no non emotional reason to keep doing so.
It is our responsibility. He’s an employee of Everton football club.

Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age but his interview has made me think about giving him another chance. Pre-interview I wanted him gone but now I'm wondering if that 10m appearance fee would be better spent on Dele than Elanga. If he can get back to even close to his best level he's miles and miles ahead of any other 10m gambles.

He says in the interview he put a front on, laughed and joked in training. He says the likes of Dier & Kane has words with him about his lifestyle but more to do with the partying rep he had. He contacted the people he was still close to at Spurs before he checked into rehab to let them know what was going on so the darker details of his childhood and subsequent issues can't have been too common knowledge.
The sleeping pills thing was common knowledge.

Eye opening interview and very brave of him to take this massive step on his road of recovery!

I really want to believe him that the passion is back for football. If this is the case and he can get some pre-season behind him (sounds like he will be back towards end July), then could well be like a new signing. Clearly has the talent.....

What is the structure of the deal..... how many games til we pay 10m..... what is the next step after that?

Can we afford any of the above?

Also to add and in respect of the player, do we change the thread name?

I wonder if this is linked to the conversation Pochettino had with him last week? Maybe he’s told him he needs to get this off his shoulders before he can move on with his career.

Unfortunately the tabloids got wind that he was in rehab and had threatened to expose it - he said at the start of the interview that he was happy to talk about it but would rather not have had to do it so soon after finishing the program.

The uk media at its finest.

I feel like I have got a clear conscience as I've backed him all the way, to me whatever happens that 45 against Palace was worth any wages we have or will pay.

I would love for him to come good here but I still believe the biggest block to his mental wellbeing from a career standpoint at least is the make up of his deal. We'll still be hesitant to play him regularly to build confidence and form so it's unlikely we can ever see the best of him here, will other clubs seeing that interview want to take him on now? Possibly. I think it's gone from a 10% chance to something a bit more healthy.

Hopefully he shows blistering form in the later preseason games to force his way into the thinking, but if not I still hope he can rebuild his career somewhere and have another 6 or so years showing his earlier form else he won't have lived up to his full potential. If that doesn't happen then I hope he finds the inner peace to live a normal life. He has done remarkably well to come from that upbringing to achieve what he has already so he should be applauded and feel proud even if it doesn't work from a footballing point of view going forward.
I agree this deal is now in the way of his career.
It either needs renegotiating,which should suit all side, or he needs to move on. It’s seems that the interview serves as line in the sand for him.

I'm obviously sorry to hear that he was abused and has been finding things tough for a long time, but he still needs to go.

Want more than ever for the lad to succeed. Like several thousand others I haven't backed him all the way and jumped on the easy hater bandwagon. Whether this is the turning point in his football career or not, best of luck to him!

If he gets fit and healthy, and can force his way into the team then he has a 7 game trial. If he performs, then we activate the clause and pay the money. If he can't get there, then we see what the next step is for him.

I have always said, from his form started to drop at Spurs, there is something more going on there. Although I never expected this, mainly just thought that it was a young guy getting enticed by the wrong people to party.

Hopefully, he can set himself right and get back on the track he was on when first bursting onto the scene.

You would hope that Spurs would be open to renegotiating the deal. As things stand he’s not going to play (certainly not more than 6-7 games), which does no good for him, Everton or Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.