2021/22 Dele Alli

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s no room for him if we keep having to play 5 across the back. I think he’d be effective behind a striker in a 451, we have to flood midfield now especially if we are going to persist with trying to play football.
Exactly... Maybe Allan and VDB holding with Dele further forward.
3 in midfield is a must

Looks all over the place. Like a fish out of water yesterday.
Looks like he has no fight like the rest of the team

Hope he proves otherwise but signs don’t look good though

Thing is I'm not really sure we're he's best suited playing for us.

Wide forward? We're stocked there. Striker? we've got Richarlison, DCL & Rondon. Number 10? maybe.. but that would mean one less midfielder.

Wide forward? We're stocked there. Striker? we've got Richarlison, DCL & Rondon. Number 10? maybe.. but that would mean one less midfielder.

He’s not suited to play for a team like us … that’s why mosh signed him

He is the final form of everything that has gone wrong with us. Everything that has gone wrong the past 7 years can basically be summed up with the signing of dele alli.

An overrated waister, hasn’t done anything in 3 years, his club gave him away for free, he hates football, doesn’t put in any effort whatsoever…so what do we do? Sign him ofcourse.

Ans all the above was public information, well known, talked about in the media, social media, from his previous managers.

It smells dodgy as hell. But it isnt dodgy, it’s just another incompetent decision.

Yeah I think we have this issue all over the attacking positions really.

I am one of the people who thinks Dele should be playing every minute possible, he can be a major threat and has a touch of class about him, however where does he fit in and who misses out.

Off the top of my head Dele, Richarlison, Gordon and Gray need to play, that should be enough to be a threat but by playing them four you lose something in the midfield (which is awful as it is). We also have DCL of course who should be playing if able to do so and even Townsend who can score a goal out of nothing. We actually have attacking options but our team is so poor elsewhere that we cant get them all into the team.

I am one of the people who thinks Dele should be playing every minute possible, he can be a major threat and has a touch of class about him, however where does he fit in and who misses out.

Off the top of my head Dele, Richarlison, Gordon and Gray need to play, that should be enough to be a threat but by playing them four you lose something in the midfield (which is awful as it is). We also have DCL of course who should be playing if able to do so and even Townsend who can score a goal out of nothing. We actually have attacking options but our team is so poor elsewhere that we cant get them all into the team.

I know it's not the popular opinion, but I think Gordon might be the one to miss out. We need more than effort and application, and he isn't offering any quality. He gets into great positions regularly, then his final ball is poor to say the least. I don't see him as a goal threat yet, and that's the issue.

But again, the question is then.. is Dele better? And again I'm not sure he is. I've seen very little to be positive about from his sub appearances. And we have no defensive solidity when he comes on because he doesn't press or track back.

He was signed without ever bothering to think how he would fit in. It was like when we signed 5 players to play the same position under Koeman and Walsh, just because we had money and could.
Exactly, it was like going down Aldi’s middle isle and saying that might come in handy, only it wasn’t £2.99.

Exactly.

That's why quality attacking fullbacks are so important in the modern game - it means you can play 3 in midfield and have the fullbacks take on both defensive and attacking duties. Having Coleman & Baines in their pomps is the closest we've had to this in the last 10 years and nothing has really come close. Digne sufficiently took over from Baines for a time but Coleman has been on the decline for a good few years now.

I'd hoped Patterson & Mykolenko would be shrewd acquisitions in this regard but the timing has been awful. We're still having to rely on the likes of Coleman & Kenny to fill those positions and with Yerry Mina not being able to stay fit for more than two games at a time we're permanently weakened at CB. All of this has a knock-on effect on those in front of them, including Dele.

It's a crap situation really.

I know it's not the popular opinion, but I think Gordon might be the one to miss out. We need more than effort and application, and he isn't offering any quality. He gets into great positions regularly, then his final ball is poor to say the least. I don't see him as a goal threat yet, and that's the issue.

But again, the question is then.. is Dele better? And again I'm not sure he is. I've seen very little to be positive about from his sub appearances. And we have no defensive solidity when he comes on because he doesn't press or track back.
I think the problem there is you can say that about all of them. They all have strengths and big weaknesses. I like Richarlison a lot for example, he cares and is by and large a quality player but he misses far too many chances for me or chooses the wrong option. They all do it. I think my hope would be that Dele is a bit more ruthless when a chance comes his way.

We didn't really need Dele or El Ghazi which is annoying as they are both decent enough players but now we have the issue of trying to fit everybody in whilst our midfield and defence has gaping holes all over the place. I don't think having a lad on loan who never plays and a quality player who probably thought he would walk into our side being on the bench each game helps, I wouldn't be happy if I were them. This is before you even take into account the likes of Rondon and Iwobi who have been dropped after playing "well" (for them) and Townsend who has at least scored some goals.

It's an absolute mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.