2021/22 Dele Alli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does he play next season presuming he’s still here 10?

The question I think Lampard has to answer are:
1) Is he going 433 (or a subtle variant) or 523?
2) If it's the former, is he going to play Alli every week.

He will have ups and downs, but will win us games. The question I suppose is that ratio. How many games does he win, against games we lose some solidity when he is anonymous.

Its probably the most pressing problem he has from a team perspective.

The question I think Lampard has to answer are:
1) Is he going 433 (or a subtle variant) or 523?
2) If it's the former, is he going to play Alli every week.

He will have ups and downs, but will win us games. The question I suppose is that ratio. How many games does he win, against games we lose some solidity when he is anonymous.

Its probably the most pressing problem he has from a team perspective.

I think he has to be used mate if we’re carrying him mate, we need a threat force through the centre, i don’t know if I see him as a traditional 10 in a playmaking role, but can we get him motoring in the old Cahill role say as an 8 and a half. On formation I wonder will we stick to the 3 at the back as opposed to a 4. We seem strongly in the market for centre backs.

If we are going to use him, in a 3 in the centre I think we have to look at support players for him, he will need two other water carriers in a midfield three, who will need to hold, fight and earn the centre around him. It’s the blend I think that might be key.

Last edited:

would it be like getting another Siggy ?

5658b0b5b1ae9ca7b0f5fcaae70b6d57_w200.gif

I think he has to be used mate if we’re carrying him mate, we need a a creative or threat force through the centre, i don’t know if I see him as a traditional 10 in a playmaking role, but can we get him motoring in the old Cahill role say as an 8 and a half.

If we are going to use him, for ,e I think we have to look at support players for him, he will need two other water carriers in a midfield three, who will need to hold, fight and earn the centre around him. It’s the blend I think that might be key.

Throw a Gallacher and a Gueye type around him and he'd flourish I think

I think he has to be used mate if we’re carrying him mate, we need a threat force through the centre, i don’t know if I see him as a traditional 10 in a playmaking role, but can we get him motoring in the old Cahill role say as an 8 and a half. On formation I wonder will we stick to the 3 at the back as opposed to a 4. We seem strongly in the market for centre backs.

If we are going to use him, in a 3 in the centre I think we have to look at support players for him, he will need two other water carriers in a midfield three, who will need to hold, fight and earn the centre around him. It’s the blend I think that might be key.

If we continue with the 3 (which I'm not against) as pre the Brentford game we had really tightened up to conceding something like 12 in 11 (and the Arsenal/Brentford games are sort of anomalies for different reasons) I just dont see a role for him.

I dont think he can play in a 2, and Lampard just hasnt used him in one of the 3 front positions.

His role is what he does against Palace. 8 and a half is probably a fair descriptor. You stick him on the pitch and say "just play" and when he is on song like that, hes a joy to watch. He played a big part in winning us that game. Vision, pace, power, creativity, getting on the end of things etc.

I mean there are questions on that front too. Iwobi has played very well in that role. A part of me still thinks Gordon could come inside. You have Doucoure, maybe Gallacher will be signed too. There are options in that area. It's a big leap of faith to say you are going to make Alli the 1st name on the team sheet, and just give him that free role.

That's what Lampard has to decide. Hes likely never going to be the best trainer. If he wants that, we probably have to move him on.

If we continue with the 3 (which I'm not against) as pre the Brentford game we had really tightened up to conceding something like 12 in 11 (and the Arsenal/Brentford games are sort of anomalies for different reasons) I just dont see a role for him.

I dont think he can play in a 2, and Lampard just hasnt used him in one of the 3 front positions.

His role is what he does against Palace. 8 and a half is probably a fair descriptor. You stick him on the pitch and say "just play" and when he is on song like that, hes a joy to watch. He played a big part in winning us that game. Vision, pace, power, creativity, getting on the end of things etc.

I mean there are questions on that front too. Iwobi has played very well in that role. A part of me still thinks Gordon could come inside. You have Doucoure, maybe Gallacher will be signed too. There are options in that area. It's a big leap of faith to say you are going to make Alli the 1st name on the team sheet, and just give him that free role.

That's what Lampard has to decide. Hes likely never going to be the best trainer. If he wants that, we probably have to move him on.

Im not married to 3 at the back to be honest, I think it’s possible to get the width we need with a back four, we did it for years with Baines and Coleman, maybe we needed to support an ageing Coleman and a rookie adjusting Myko. We also had a weakness at set pieces and might have needed that fifth defender. Going with a four allows us another midfielder, which were Dele would fit in as the second striker in the Cahill roll. In a 4231 Or a 433.

I did a little bit of digging and at times when Spurs went 3 at the back under Poch, he played on the right of a front 3, inside forward to me and you, which was interesting, I always just assumed he o,she’d just behind Kane, but he and Eriksen often flipped, even him and Son.

I take your point on others showing like Iwobi, just feel if we can find a role for him and unlock his best, his quality is so high. I like his confidence to, he can stand in the ball, we don’t have many like that.

My worry with him, is he is a player of moments, one of those you won’t see involved in every phase until you unlock him, he’s a player of moments, I think patience may whine with him given what we as a fan base look for and the inevitable “lazy“ comments will come.

Id really like us to put some work into getting the best out of him, I’m looking at the kid Brennan Johnson at Forrest, he’s another whose a second striker really, I see him very like Dele, though he can prob play wider more naturally, id like to see us get the best out of Dele first.

Last edited:

I think at different times we will play both formations may hinge on how secure we can make the back four if we are mostly 433

Im not married to 3 at the back to be honest, I think it’s possible to get the width we need with a back four, we did it for years with Baines and Coleman, maybe we needed to support an ageing Coleman and a rookie adjusting Myko. We also had a weakness at set pieces and might have needed that fifth defender. Going with a four allows us another midfielder, which were Dele would fit in as the second striker in the Cahill roll. In a 4231 Or a 433.

I did a little bit of digging and at times when Spurs went 3 at the back under Poch, he played on the right of a front 3, inside forward to me and you, which was interesting, I always just assumed he o,she’d just behind Kane, but he and Eriksen often flipped, even him and Son.

I take your point on others showing like Iwobi, just feel if we can find a role for him and unlock his best, his quality is so high. I like his confidence to, he can stand in the ball, we don’t have many like that.

My worry with him, is he is a player of moments, one of those you won’t see involved in every phase until you unlock him, he’s a player of moments, I think patience may whine with him given what we as a fan base look for and the inevitable “lazy“ comments will come.

Id really like us to put some work into getting the best out of him, I’m looking at the kid Brennan Johnson at Forrest, he’s another whose a second striker really, I see him very like Dele, though he can prob play wider more naturally, id like to see us get the best out of Dele first.

Great post mate

Great post mate

I think Tarkowski is a clear sign Lampard wants to play a back four also.

Btw Gallacher and deli I could see working together in a 3 in midfield, the overlooked thing about Gallacher is how hard defensively he works, could actually see him being as the one who takes it from the defenders (pivot?) In a three

I think Tarkowski is a clear sign Lampard wants to play a back four also.

Btw Gallacher and deli I could see working together in a 3 in midfield, the overlooked thing about Gallacher is how hard defensively he works, could actually see him being as the one who takes it from the defenders (pivot?) In a three

I like Gallagher mate, I’m not sure he’s a priority, given what we have, we’ve a good few 8’s in the squad and we could do with moving a few on, while im not sure he’s a value option anymore. I think north of 30 million is a lot of money for him and I’d be having a look round for that money. Last year was the ideal time for Gallagher.

Status
Not open for further replies.