Zonal or Man-To-Man

• Zonal

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Man-To-Man

Votes: 236 86.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the record Silva did not seem to have a problem coaching defense in Portugal or Greece so I don't necessarily believe that it is an inability in his tactical understanding. I would also be very surprised if they haven't been working on it for months, so that does suggest it is a player issue. Or defending is SO different in the Premier League he can't adapt??

It is a strange one , the media are now highlighting our frailty in defending any kind of high ball into our area, Man City are not usually a team that throws free kicks into a crowded area and hoping for the best, when they are doing it you know you have a problem.

The manager may believe in his system but maybe not the players at his disposal, but then he needs to change the way they defend until he gets players that can properly defend as he wants it.

Repeating the same mistake and expecting a different result each time is not very clever... and if not addressed will cost the manager his job some day.

It is a strange one , the media are now highlighting our frailty in defending any kind of high ball into our area, Man City are not usually a team that throws free kicks into a crowded area and hoping for the best, when they are doing it you know you have a problem.

The manager may believe in his system but maybe not the players at his disposal, but then he needs to change the way they defend until he gets players that can properly defend as he wants it.

Repeating the same mistake and expecting a different result each time is not very clever... and if not addressed will cost the manager his job some day.

It's not even just free kicks though. Every long ball toward our box and the defenders enter panic mode. When Keane heads the ball it's like he's just letting the ball drop on his head without looking.

There's so many irritating things about this. Everyone can see it. It's easily fixed. We'd probably be getting good results only for it.

Makes the mind boggle at what Silva's logic is on this. I remember Martinez saying something like "only 4% of a match is engaging in set pieces." Daft.

There's so many irritating things about this. Everyone can see it. It's easily fixed. We'd probably be getting good results only for it.

Makes the mind boggle at what Silva's logic is on this. I remember Martinez saying something like "only 4% of a match is engaging in set pieces." Daft.

Best avatar on here. Hockety pockety.

Also, get a defensive coach, shove zonal, tell zooms and Keane to smash everyone and win that ball every time or at least try and tell Pick he can actually leave his line. On the rare occassions he does, he punches it clear.

Could it be that the defence have no faith in him which also means they are even more nervous?

We've had a backline with 3 defenders they've brought in with Mina, Zouma and Digne and they've looked as clueless in it as anyone.

Really is something he has zero excuses for

It's why when questioned on it at the post match presser he completely squirmed. Mumbled. Crunched his body up wouldn't look at the journo and the only thing I could make out what ye said was something about not answering anymore questions on set peieces. Reminds me of how me bird reacts to being cornered on BS. It's expected from her. Not an Everton manager.

Would Brands go to Silva and tell him he's taking on a set piece coach if he can't stop these goals we are constantly leaking at free kicks/corners?

With CB’s we can select, we should be dominate in front of our own goal. They’re tall, they’re fit, they’re in their prime. Maybe it’s not the zonal system. Maybe they just can’t get they’re collective heads around the concept of zonal marking. Whether it’s that or the system itself, Silva had better figure it soon because set pieces and corners are the reasons every other club in the league sees Everton as a potential 3 points.

It's why when questioned on it at the post match presser he completely squirmed. Mumbled. Crunched his body up wouldn't look at the journo and the only thing I could make out what ye said was something about not answering anymore questions on set peieces. Reminds me of how me bird reacts to being cornered on BS. It's expected from her. Not an Everton manager.

It was a moment similar to the one Martinez had when put through the ringer on sky sports to try and defend his taking risks at the back policy...

You learn a lot about the character of someone in those times.... strong people take stock of a situation... realise it isn't working.... put their ego to the back of the queue and adapt. Moyes to his credit did that in his 3rd season after his second season dip... he just didn't do it again when it mattered.

My issue is that these fellas don't have to balance their principles and ego with the need to pay their mortgage and other bills that we all need to pay. Where if our bosses say jump we jump high ... They can get sacked and be mega rich.... so thats where we are as a club..... our employees don't need to do what's right for the club. They are financially sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.