2017/18 Davy Klaassen

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I’ve seen, which has been nothing really, he’s looked slow, weak and seemingly scared to turn with the ball. Not sure he’ll ever be a prem midfielder.

However, he’s supposedly got an eye for goal, and I do wonder how he’d go playing off a target man where he’d basically be looking for knock downs.

He’s complained to the coaching staff at Ajax about Koeman playing him out of position. They have full faith in him turning it around.

I really want him to be given a chance, and given his age and his evident quality I don't think he will be shipped off... yet.

Klaassen was at his best for Ajax playing as the 'spare man' in their midfield three.

Basically, he wasn't tasked with any particular role.

Schone was the sitter in the holding midfielder role. Ziyech the playmaker. Klaassen was given a kind of box-to-box free role. He was the instigator of the press - which in fairness he has tried to do for us, to little effect, mind - and then the spare player making third-man runs in behind opposition defences.

It evidently hasn't worked out, for a variety of reasons.

On paper I suppose had Koeman got it right he was trying to replicate that Ajax system to an extent, but the players he brought in simply couldn't fill those roles, and he then tried to fit all of our 'no.10s' into one side which of course was ridiculous.

Should be given a chance lol he’s seen every day in training and can’t even make the bench against crap teams when our midfield is dire (James McCarthy gets in ffs).

It doesn’t take a genius to work out the lad isn’t good enough. We have enough charity cases in the team and we can’t afford to shoehorn yet another crap player into the midfield in the hope that he may improve.

Send him back to Ajax where everyone will be happy.

Last edited:
Klaassen was at his best for Ajax playing as the 'spare man' in their midfield three.

Basically, he wasn't tasked with any particular role.

Schone was the sitter in the holding midfielder role. Ziyech the playmaker. Klaassen was given a kind of box-to-box free role. He was the instigator of the press - which in fairness he has tried to do for us, to little effect, mind - and then the spare player making third-man runs in behind opposition defences.

It evidently hasn't worked out, for a variety of reasons.

On paper I suppose had Koeman got it right he was trying to replicate that Ajax system to an extent, but the players he brought in simply couldn't fill those roles, and he then tried to fit all of our 'no.10s' into one side which of course was ridiculous.

Basically a poundshop Frank Lampard playing a tactic not often used in Dutch football to good effect but was like water off a ducks back to prem defenders. Also he didn’t have a single competent midfielder next to him so even if he wasn’t slow and weak couldn’t play that role effectively anyway.

Won't be happy til he gets a run of games. Has played maybe 45 minutes in position, needs to be given a run in a true midfield 3 behind Gylfi and in front of a proper CDM, with 2 wingers. Proper football would help as well.

Has he been tried alongside Gueye against poorer opposition? Sigurdsson has the number 10 role, Bolasie and Walcott are out wide and Tosun is up top. Surely he'd be worth a try for a few games seeing as McCarthy, Schneiderlin and Rooney (best of a bad bunch) are utterly appalling.

Has he been tried alongside Gueye against poorer opposition? Sigurdsson has the number 10 role, Bolasie and Walcott are out wide and Tosun is up top. Surely he'd be worth a try for a few games seeing as McCarthy, Schneiderlin and Rooney (best of a bad bunch) are utterly appalling.
Should play in front of Gueye in a more box to box role. But no he hasn't. We've asked him to play out wide while playing hoofball.

What has happened with him is the biggest disappointment of the season player wise for me, well him and Sandro anyway.

Hope we only let him go on loan for some game time and get him back for a proper crack next season.

Should be given a chance lol he’s seen every day in training and can’t even make the bench against crap teams when our midfield is dire (James McCarthy gets in ffs).

It doesn’t take a genius to work out the lad isn’t good enough. We have enough charity cases in the team and we can’t afford to shoehorn yet another crap player into the midfield in the hope that he may improve.

Send him back to Ajax where everyone will be happy.

When a player isn't playing he becomes better than he actually is.
I have seen him play for Ajax and a handful of games for us. He never was and never will be suited to this league and has looked utterly lost on every single occasion he has played for Everton. His best contribution was cutting out a ball at the end of the away game at City. He has done little else. Giving away that soft free kick against the Cypriots that resulted in them snatching a draw was just farcical.

Status
Not open for further replies.