Dave Watson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir Degsy was a good blue, lived the dream,more successful than Watson.
Scored important goals.
A lot of fans never took to Watson.
All about trophies for me mate.
He lifted our last Major Trophy ......I agree the defensive partnership of Ratters & Mountfield was a brilliant combination - plus Mounty cost us nothing, hardly like Ratters - but Watson was a class act ....

Whose career would I prefer? Watson's any day, being a cup winning captain is worth far more than, say, getting a medal as a reserve squad player (ala Degsy in 86/87). You're acting like they're both the same- they aren't. While we're at it, did Mountfield even get a medal in 86/87 anyway? There was a time when you needed 14 games to get one (a 1/3 of the season) and he didn't play enough that year*. This was reduced to 10, but from memory this was during the premier league era. If he did get a meal, it was probably one of those "you didn't really play much, so we've made a bit of a replica years later for you" type deals.

By your rationale Mountfield was better than Labone too. Was he? Also, anybody would be incredibly stupid to want Paul Parker career over Alan Shearer's.

Also, what's your opinion of Alan Ball? Not great if you're going by medals won at Everton. Because, as you said, it's "all about trophies" to you.

* and i don't mean in a 'it's on wikipedia' kinda way.
Jesus.
You ok mate?
As I said honours count more to me.
I thought Mountfield was a solid defender who I preferred over Watson.
Shearer maybe stayed at Newcastle for love and loyalty and could've moved to win more medals.
Labone and Ball I met Labone once,fantastic gentleman.
Never really seen them play for us,although I recall going to Labones testimonial beating the rs.

Jesus.
You ok mate?
As I said honours count more to me.
I thought Mountfield was a solid defender who I preferred over Watson.
Shearer maybe stayed at Newcastle for love and loyalty and could've moved to win more medals.
Labone and Ball I met Labone once,fantastic gentleman.
Never really seen them play for us,although I recall going to Labones testimonial beating the rs.

Of course i'm ok and laughing at your nonsense, actually. Honours count more to you, yeah, you said, so Phil Neville is more successful than Eric Cantona at Man Utd in your world (but not mine)...and Degsy is more successful than Dixie Dean and Kevin Langley more successful than Bob Latchford in your world of success. Mine is different and is also based on individual achievements, appearances, records, international caps, etc.

Saw his name mentioned on another thread,just thought to myself he maybe gets overlooked a little sometimes by our fanbase,what a great servant,player,leader,he had a difficult start to his career,but went on to win a title and FA Cup,for me though his greatest achievement was being one of our stellar performers in the early to mid 1990s when we had a terrible team but he shone like a beacon with his consistency and was also one of the true hard men of the era without ever shouting his mouth off about it,Thanks Waggy a true legend of our club.?
Great post Dario, Dave deserves all the credit he is getting on this thread, he gave 100% in every game he played, great captain leading by example and was player manager for the end of the season run in when we could have gone down, good at both ends of the field defending at one end and scoring some vital goals at the other end.

Is he still involved in football? I hope he is happy whatever he is doing.

How this man hasn’t at least been offered a role at the club in some capacity is beyond me, no marks like Snodin & Stuart get the run of the place, but no room for the real men that dragged us to places we long to return too, Watson, Southall, Reid etc…, sickens me.
Because the RS within do not like our fans being reminded of success. Its been like a Bolshevik re-education process. We are plucky little Everton

Of course i'm ok and laughing at your nonsense, actually. Honours count more to you, yeah, you said, so Phil Neville is more successful than Eric Cantona at Man Utd in your world (but not mine)...and Degsy is more successful than Dixie Dean and Kevin Langley more successful than Bob Latchford in your world of success. Mine is different and is also based on individual achievements, appearances, records, international caps, etc.
Carry on laughing mate.
Stats dont win trophies

A good season without medals or a trophy?

You sure?
I'm talking about the difference between being, say Trevor Steven in 86/87 and Neil Adams the same season. Both got the same medal. But their contributions were far different. So, yeah, I am sure. Just like winning the world cup was different for Hurst, Ball, Moore, Charlton, Wilson than it was for Greaves, Callaghan, Hunter, etc. Here's a reminder of "contribution" that day...Greaves looks delighted.

1_4219jpeg.jpg

You've still not answered hardly any of my questions anyway. My last one, does winning the golden boot not represent success? I'm still laughing at the idea you think Paul Parker had a more successful football career than Alan Shearer to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.